Statistics Canada "census" Reviews | Glassdoor

Statistics Canada Employee Reviews about "census"

Updated Feb 27, 2019

4.0
Statistics Canada Chief Statistician Anil Arora
Anil Arora
Pros
  • "Pretty flexible hours; my manager let me leave earlier as long as I'd make up the hours(in 32 reviews)

• "Great work environment, great people, simple work(in 29 reviews)

Cons
  • "Can face difficult residents who oppose doing the census(in 12 reviews)

• "Most jobs appear in Ottawa Canada(in 8 reviews)

Reviews about "census"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Flexible Summer Job"

I worked at Statistics Canada part-time

Pros

- You choose your hours - You're responsible for yourself

Cons

- You work when people are home, which means evenings and weekends - Can face difficult residents who oppose doing the census

Statistics Canada2017-08-01
  2. "Assistant Manager, Recruitment"

Former Employee - Talent Manager in Calgary, AB

I worked at Statistics Canada full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

I held this contract position during both the 2011 & 2016 National Census operation and had an excellent experience. The recruitment and selection process was thorough and clear. There was excellent onboarding and training with support and guidance from Leaders throughout the entire life of the project. An excellent professional experience and one i hope to continue with future Census Operations!

Cons

Hard work, long hours, steep learning curve if in a role you have never done before but something you will never regret or forget!

Statistics Canada2019-02-27
  3. "2016 Census Contract Worker"

I worked at Statistics Canada for more than a year

Pros

Short term contract that helped to hone communication skills and basic knowledge of working for federal government. Great work environment. The staff really supported each other and worked as a team.

Cons

A little bit unorganized as many staff were brought in as contract workers for the census project with a very short timeline to learn processes before the census.

Statistics Canada2018-09-18
  4. "Great working environment... too bad Census only happens every four years!"

Former Contractor - Census Crew Leader in Toronto, ON

I worked at Statistics Canada for less than a year

Pros

Loved the flexibility of the working schedule and environment. Processes were very clear and rules and guidelines were highly streamlined.

Cons

Supervisor was a bit frazzled needing to take care of a huge district during the Census, with lots of people to take care of in that area. Essentially a 7 day a week schedule for supervisor roles -- a little more flexibility with lower level positions.

Advice to Management

Inspiring the members of your team to feel invested in the outcome beyond just the % completion rate used as a driving stick would likely improve morale.

Statistics Canada2017-06-20
  5. "field supervisor"

I worked at Statistics Canada

Pros

good mileage reimbursement - set your own hours - the field work was interesting, general public and municipalities friendly and easy to work with, very few exceptions

Cons

supervising staff in the local census office inexperienced and immature even at retirement age. Lots of yelling and insults, often more pretentious than competent. Did not know how to communicate.

Advice to Management

hire competent supervisors - improve the corporate culture with better communication and basic respect for employees. Use technology to reduce the paper and bureaucratic burden.

Statistics Canada2017-06-16
  6. "Census Enumerator"

Former Contractor - Census Enumerator in Toronto, ON

I worked at Statistics Canada for less than a year

Pros

Reliable (big) Organization, when working in this position, I enjoyed the privilege of working independently with out control from a higher person. I worked for value instead of for order fulfillment.

Cons

The duration of the contract was too short during the most recent census season, which was unexpected. I worked only for six weeks. where as in the previous one, I worked for more than ten weeks. more over, The wage was less than the one paid during the previous census season. Thus, Census 2011. in 2011, it was 18.00 CAD or few more cents per hour. where as during the most recent one, it was only 16.31 CAD per... hour. The inflation rate, higher. The wage rate, lower at the same time. This part was not good. Any one reading this information can rely on it. Because this is not a second hand information. Me my self had worked as a Census Enumerator in both of the seasons those I am talking about.

Advice to Management

It would be great if better wage and safety were given more emphasis for the upcoming census enumerators. It would even be more great if the already hired census enumerators who were successful in fulfilling their tasks were considered for similar roles in the organization for longer term.

Statistics Canada2017-05-18
  7. "Census Enumerator"

I worked at Statistics Canada

Pros

- Flexible hours (You can pick when you want to work) - Good wage ( $17/hr is better than many starting positions) - No prior experience needed

Cons

- Census jobs are only available during Census periods (once every ~5yrs) - While you can pick when you want to work, supervisors will often stress doing evening hours - Informal; which can make it difficult to convince people

Statistics Canada2017-03-01
  8. "Standard government drawbacks"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Edmonton, AB

I worked at Statistics Canada full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Working on the 2016 Census was a great learning opportunity -Never need to work late, the office was empty by 4:30 pm -Long-form Census is back!

Cons

-Positions are almost all term instead of permanent -Major technology issues, in particular email, cell-phone reception and access to Internet -Bureaucracy means change is very slow -Limited room for advancement if not located in Ottawa or bilingual

Statistics Canada2016-11-29

"Canada Census"

Assistant Crew Leader in Calgary, AB

I have been working at Statistics Canada

Pros

Working on the census team was a rewarding experience. We had a good group of people who worked hard and delivered accurate data. The crew leader was very available to deal with issues as they arose and encouraged each member in their work.

Cons

The management above crew leader seemed unsure of what they were doing much of the time. Our manager wasn't particularly effective. He attempted to create competition between teams and ended up appearing unsupportive.

Advice to Management

Keep track of the people who did a good job and if possible hire them back the next time around. Don't reinvent the wheel every five years.

Statistics Canada2016-11-04
  10. "Census Enumerator"

I worked at Statistics Canada

Pros

The pay was pretty good for the work involved. Each day you generally got some good exercise, walking around different (or the same) area. My manager was really helpful, though was at times a little inexperienced or uninformed.

Cons

Difficult situations occur from day to day dealing with people who did not care to fill out the census. Due to the nature of the job, some of the managers were relatively uninformed about various questions as they arose, and had to seek answers from higher up.

Advice to Management

Ensure that your employees know how to do their job, and be sure to learn as much as you can so that when questions arise, you know how to address them.

Statistics Canada2016-10-11