Statoil Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Statoil President and CEO Eldar Sætre
Eldar Sætre

Pros
  • Work Life balance and good work culture (in 50 reviews)

• Excelent benefits and work environment (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • Collaboration is pivotal for the Statoil cultur but there can be way too much of collaboration that gets in the way of decision making (in 13 reviews)

• Right now, also there is not many openings for future full time positions (in 6 reviews)

"good company to work for"

Current Employee - Supply Chain in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Supply Chain in Austin, TX

I have been working at Statoil full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

benefits, autonomy, work life balance, possibility of international assignment

Cons

not always easy to work with the headquarters from the US, high workload, poor IT and HR support

Advice to Management

Re-internalize HR functions, invest in IT

"Mixed bag"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Statoil full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There are some quality individuals that have stuck with Statoil over the years and I feel fortunate to work with them on a daily basis. There are small niches within the company that get it and understand what it means to work in a collaborative, efficient and forward-thinking environment.

Cons

Management is a joke. They do not want input or feedback, which is in direct contradiction to the core values of being Open, Courageous, Caring and Collaborative (formerly Hands-on). Many of these individuals have been promoted above their area(s) of expertise and seem to retain a cult status within the company. This is a common thread across many disciplines and departments in both the Houston and Austin office.

The latest example of the childish culture to which we are subjected can be seen by an email sent to all employees in the Austin office this evening by our esteemed SVP of US Onshore Operations.

"All,

As I sat in a meeting in Paramount this afternoon, I casually monitored the use of the handrails on the stairs between the 4th and 5th floors. I am very disappointed to say that 90% of the people that used the stairs did not use the handrails. I want each and every one of you to know that I consider this unacceptable behavior. I expect our office employees to work to the same standard we expect of our field employees, and I expect everyone to use the handrails when you use the stairs. This is an easy rule to follow, and I look forward to observing people using the handrails from now on."

Who would want to work under senior management as condescending as this?

If you're a fan of layers upon layers upon layers of unnecessary management and playing the game to get ahead, then you might consider this Con a Pro.

Advice to Management

You're not doing yourselves, the company nor the shareholders any favors by continuing to listen to inept people. Yes-men do not a profitable and functioning company make. Figure out what really needs to be accomplished and abandon the ridiculous KPI's put forth to people just trying to promote themselves because they can say they did something. Fear should not be a motivating factor in management style to get things done, especially when they are done for superficial reasons. I advise you to ask for a refund if you hired a personal coach for the guy who wrote the email mentioned in the Cons section.

"Chaos reigns"

Current Employee - Senior Treasury Analyst in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Treasury Analyst in Austin, TX

I have been working at Statoil full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay, benefits, discount lunch, nice facility

Cons

Chaotic environment, workloads between individuals vary widely, managers without the experience or expertise to add value so they focus on Powerpoint presentations and "face time" with other management.

Advice to Management

Really-you have no idea what you are doing! Bring in some fresh blood with a clue on how to manage manpower needs.

"No role and responsibility clarity and other management mistakes"

Former Employee - Director in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Director in Houston, TX

I worked at Statoil full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

On one hand, if you ever want to prepare yourself for life on a wild jungle island filled with dangerous animals, working at Statoil in Houston or Austin is excellent training. Norwegians don't seem to even understand that an absence of role and responsibility clarity, a hallmark for a well managed enterprise, is important. Instead, leaders tell direct reports to negotiate with other direct reports on who does what. Since the business is failing, this leads to Machiavellian like existence where game players, political types and brown nosers excel without ever doing any actual work.

Cons

Many negative comments in these reviews are directed at the weak HR organization, and it's well deserved. The HR team has virtually no one with a professional background in HR. It's full of former accountants, management consultants and recruiters, who are just salespeople in disguise. This absence of any real intellectual ability, no talent and no integrity among the entire team leads to bad decision making and the misbelief that appointing a politically connected ambitious type will make it all better.

Advice to Management

Abandon hope all ye who enter this hell on earth

5. "Great company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Statoil full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great pay and competitive environment for someone looking for a challenge

Cons

Foreign owned company does leave room for much upward growth

"Core Values? None. Deceptive? 100%"

Former Employee - Anonymous in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Houston, TX

I worked at Statoil full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits are amazing. They paid for me and my family. Unfortunately that is the only thing I miss. However you will need it because the stress will eventually affect your health working there.

Cons

Promotions? Not unless you are in Norway. If you like to be treated like you are worthless and incompetent you are at the right place. HR obviously turns a blind eye to the hostile work environment and allows management to belittle employees in front of others. Raises? That's funny. Bonuses are a mockery IF you get one. You get performance reviews almost on a monthly basis. Actually it's more like a review of how worthless you are even if you meet or exceed your goals. Sincerity doesn't even reach managements eyes. Corporate goals are unrealistic. The undue stress caused by backstabbing managers seriously affected my health causing high blood pressure from the stress. Since I left it has gone away! Go figure!

Advice to Management

Find managers who know how to be a part of a team and not a dictator.

"Hostile leaders, bad HR"

Current Employee - Analyst in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Analyst in Houston, TX

I have been working at Statoil full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Not many...health premium. Industry pays well, Statoil pays ok, not good, not bad.

Cons

HR is at its worst behavior, recruits bad leaders who struggle to lead due to lack of expertise.

There are bad apples in the basket, some leaders show hostile behavior.

Advice to Management

Norway, you better be honest and use your brains. HR needs a new manager. You give too much powers to HR. Re think and act accordingly. Stop this hostile environment

"A company without direction, culture"

Current Employee - Human Resources in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Houston, TX

I have been working at Statoil full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Many great people at lower levels
    Nice offices

Cons

There are many concerns, more than the pros.
    Benefits are not fantastic as many fake reviews try to make you believe. The benefits were very good some years back but they have now been adjusted down to average. There is no real opportunity for a career unless you are a Norwegian. There are really no opportunities for a global career path. The company is reorganizing themselves almost every 12-18 months because they have no clue what they are doing on the organizational side. Heavy politics, inexperienced and untruthful management, frequent organizational turbulence and change without results. A major concern to anyone thinking to start a career in Statoil is that the company is not making any money, and never have done so in the US. and is likely be shut down very soon since the parent company in Norway is likely to put their investments elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Please advise your employees and managers not to engage in writing fake reviews. Some of the 4 and 5 star reviews posted here at Glassdoor are so unreal and untruthful that they can only serve one purpose, to get the company score up, which it has for the last 6 months without any other reason than fake positive reviews. This company is in some areas average, while in other areas far below average. Truthfulness is neither appreciated nor valued, and 'alternative facts' along with positive storytelling without basis in reality is making poisoning the work environment.

"HIgh hopes to lost dreams"

I have been working at Statoil full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits, Salary, office environment, fitness center, discounted dining

Cons

No direction, poor communication from the top, a sense of forced change every six months for no good reason, Norwegian Employees get the best deals including severance, relocation and management positions

Advice to Management

Require the "Statoil Way" across the globe, especially in the USA.

"Good for Norway: Bad for USA"

Former Employee - Reservoir Engineer in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Reservoir Engineer in Houston, TX

I worked at Statoil full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good working environment, salary, benefits, etc.

Cons

No operations, only following other companies. A lot of internal promotion and movie making, but little to no action for real business. Very short sighted and proud.

Advice to Management

Stop acting like your Top Gun when you are not. A humble attitude goes a long way. The company values deteriorated to almost nothing. Very sad.