Statoil Reviews | Glassdoor

3.4
Statoil President and CEO Eldar Sætre
Eldar Sætre

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work Life balance and good work culture (in 52 reviews)

• Excelent benefits and work environment (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • Collaboration is pivotal for the Statoil cultur but there can be way too much of collaboration that gets in the way of decision making (in 13 reviews)

• Right now, also there is not many openings for future full time positions (in 6 reviews)

1. "Great company to work for!"

I have been working at Statoil full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Fantastic benefits, competitive salary, 9/80 work schedule, beautiful office, lots of opportunity for travel and most importantly, great people!

Cons

Far too many expats in senior roles with reorganization every year or so.

2. "Great place to work"

I have been working at Statoil full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people, great leadership, true to the Statoil values

Cons

No complaints about the company.

"If you're not Norwegian, you are second class citizen"

Current Employee - Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Statoil full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Work life balance; good benefits

Cons

Discriminate against non-Norwegian or people without a strong tie to Corporate
    All important positions in the USA are held by expats from Norway even though local staff are equally or in many cases, even more qualified than expat (e.g. Head of Government and Public Affairs office, and many more). US, the only location where Statoil has sizable operatorship outside of Norway, is the training ground for the high-flier Norwegians. Every 2 - 3 years, they send a new batch of expats to the USA to get trained then come home to brag about what they did (or what they claimed credit for to be more correct). Senior leaders of the USA unit talked about business but do not really care about the performance of the business. They are more concerned about making their personal stamp, marketing it to the guys at home in order to climb up the ladder.
    If you are after work and life balance and ok to be bypassed for promotion opportunities, its the place for you. As long as you get along with people, they'll leave you alone even if you don't really do anything. If you look for a well-managed business where you are treated equally for promotion opportunities, you will be very unhappy here

Advice to Management

- Start walk your talk on people development and review your diversity policy or it will be just a matter of time, some one will sue you for good money
    - If you inspire to become a truly international company, its high time for Your Highness Executives to realize that its not your Norwegians that drive change and commercial mindset, its the international staff that bring the different view points and challenge your Norwegian way of working. Smart companies understand that they are not only after resources in international locations, but also after international talents because talented leaders will bring you sustainable success. Keep using US to train your naïve Norwegians who though they were a big shot, one day you will have no other options but selling off your US business and back to be the National oil company which you truly are. And by the way, you have destroyed many, many billions of your shareholders money with your tunnel vision.

"Mixed bag"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Statoil full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There are some quality individuals that have stuck with Statoil over the years and I feel fortunate to work with them on a daily basis. There are small niches within the company that get it and understand what it means to work in a collaborative, efficient and forward-thinking environment.

Cons

Management is a joke. They do not want input or feedback, which is in direct contradiction to the core values of being Open, Courageous, Caring and Collaborative (formerly Hands-on). Many of these individuals have been promoted above their area(s) of expertise and seem to retain a cult status within the company. This is a common thread across many disciplines and departments in both the Houston and Austin office.

The latest example of the childish culture to which we are subjected can be seen by an email sent to all employees in the Austin office this evening by our esteemed SVP of US Onshore Operations.

"All,

As I sat in a meeting in Paramount this afternoon, I casually monitored the use of the handrails on the stairs between the 4th and 5th floors. I am very disappointed to say that 90% of the people that used the stairs did not use the handrails. I want each and every one of you to know that I consider this unacceptable behavior. I expect our office employees to work to the same standard we expect of our field employees, and I expect everyone to use the handrails when you use the stairs. This is an easy rule to follow, and I look forward to observing people using the handrails from now on."

Who would want to work under senior management as condescending as this?

If you're a fan of layers upon layers upon layers of unnecessary management and playing the game to get ahead, then you might consider this Con a Pro.

Advice to Management

You're not doing yourselves, the company nor the shareholders any favors by continuing to listen to inept people. Yes-men do not a profitable and functioning company make. Figure out what really needs to be accomplished and abandon the ridiculous KPI's put forth to people just trying to promote themselves because they can say they did something. Fear should not be a motivating factor in management style to get things done, especially when they are done for superficial reasons. I advise you to ask for a refund if you hired a personal coach for the guy who wrote the email mentioned in the Cons section.

5. "good company"

Former Employee - Analyst
    Former Employee - Analyst

I worked at Statoil (More than a year)

Pros

healthcare, 9/80, casual attire,

Cons

long hours, need more staff

"Chaos reigns"

Current Employee - Senior Treasury Analyst in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Treasury Analyst in Austin, TX

I have been working at Statoil full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay, benefits, discount lunch, nice facility

Cons

Chaotic environment, workloads between individuals vary widely, managers without the experience or expertise to add value so they focus on Powerpoint presentations and "face time" with other management.

Advice to Management

Really-you have no idea what you are doing! Bring in some fresh blood with a clue on how to manage manpower needs.

"No role and responsibility clarity and other management mistakes"

Former Employee - Director in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Director in Houston, TX

I worked at Statoil full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

On one hand, if you ever want to prepare yourself for life on a wild jungle island filled with dangerous animals, working at Statoil in Houston or Austin is excellent training. Norwegians don't seem to even understand that an absence of role and responsibility clarity, a hallmark for a well managed enterprise, is important. Instead, leaders tell direct reports to negotiate with other direct reports on who does what. Since the business is failing, this leads to Machiavellian like existence where game players, political types and brown nosers excel without ever doing any actual work.

Cons

Many negative comments in these reviews are directed at the weak HR organization, and it's well deserved. The HR team has virtually no one with a professional background in HR. It's full of former accountants, management consultants and recruiters, who are just salespeople in disguise. This absence of any real intellectual ability, no talent and no integrity among the entire team leads to bad decision making and the misbelief that appointing a politically connected ambitious type will make it all better.

Advice to Management

Abandon hope all ye who enter this hell on earth

"good company to work for"

Current Employee - Supply Chain in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Supply Chain in Austin, TX

I have been working at Statoil full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

benefits, autonomy, work life balance, possibility of international assignment

Cons

not always easy to work with the headquarters from the US, high workload, poor IT and HR support

Advice to Management

Re-internalize HR functions, invest in IT

"Great people"

I worked at Statoil full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Company socially conscious, employees well-paid, good PTO & holidays, great benefits, bonuses, opportunities to work across disciplines.

Cons

Vulnerable to cuts when oil prices low, which can really stress employee relationships and workload

Advice to Management

Plan budget and hiring based on the lean times so there will be less layoffs when prices fall. Layoff atmosphere leads to less productive workforce - everyone is just trying to make themselves look critical to the mission.

10. "Great company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Statoil full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great pay and competitive environment for someone looking for a challenge

Cons

Foreign owned company does leave room for much upward growth