Statoil Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
Statoil President and CEO Eldar Sætre
Eldar Sætre

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work Life balance and good work culture (in 52 reviews)

• Excelent benefits and work environment (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • Collaboration is pivotal for the Statoil cultur but there can be way too much of collaboration that gets in the way of decision making (in 13 reviews)

• Right now, also there is not many openings for future full time positions (in 6 reviews)

"Mixed bag"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Statoil full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There are some quality individuals that have stuck with Statoil over the years and I feel fortunate to work with them on a daily basis. There are small niches within the company that get it and understand what it means to work in a collaborative, efficient and forward-thinking environment.

Cons

Management is a joke. They do not want input or feedback, which is in direct contradiction to the core values of being Open, Courageous, Caring and Collaborative (formerly Hands-on). Many of these individuals have been promoted above their area(s) of expertise and seem to retain a cult status within the company. This is a common thread across many disciplines and departments in both the Houston and Austin office.

The latest example of the childish culture to which we are subjected can be seen by an email sent to all employees in the Austin office this evening by our esteemed SVP of US Onshore Operations.

"All,

As I sat in a meeting in Paramount this afternoon, I casually monitored the use of the handrails on the stairs between the 4th and 5th floors. I am very disappointed to say that 90% of the people that used the stairs did not use the handrails. I want each and every one of you to know that I consider this unacceptable behavior. I expect our office employees to work to the same standard we expect of our field employees, and I expect everyone to use the handrails when you use the stairs. This is an easy rule to follow, and I look forward to observing people using the handrails from now on."

Who would want to work under senior management as condescending as this?

If you're a fan of layers upon layers upon layers of unnecessary management and playing the game to get ahead, then you might consider this Con a Pro.

Advice to Management

You're not doing yourselves, the company nor the shareholders any favors by continuing to listen to inept people. Yes-men do not a profitable and functioning company make. Figure out what really needs to be accomplished and abandon the ridiculous KPI's put forth to people just trying to promote themselves because they can say they did something. Fear should not be a motivating factor in management style to get things done, especially when they are done for superficial reasons. I advise you to ask for a refund if you hired a personal coach for the guy who wrote the email mentioned in the Cons section.

2. "No Opportunity for Advancement"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at Statoil as a contractor

Pros

Low-key and laid-back work environment.

Cons

Will work contractors like slaves.

Advice to Management

None. They will continue to do what they want until the company is run into the ground and the talent has left.

"A company without direction, culture"

Current Employee - Human Resources in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Houston, TX

I have been working at Statoil full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Many great people at lower levels
    Nice offices

Cons

There are many concerns, more than the pros.
    Benefits are not fantastic as many fake reviews try to make you believe. The benefits were very good some years back but they have now been adjusted down to average. There is no real opportunity for a career unless you are a Norwegian. There are really no opportunities for a global career path. The company is reorganizing themselves almost every 12-18 months because they have no clue what they are doing on the organizational side. Heavy politics, inexperienced and untruthful management, frequent organizational turbulence and change without results. A major concern to anyone thinking to start a career in Statoil is that the company is not making any money, and never have done so in the US. and is likely be shut down very soon since the parent company in Norway is likely to put their investments elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Please advise your employees and managers not to engage in writing fake reviews. Some of the 4 and 5 star reviews posted here at Glassdoor are so unreal and untruthful that they can only serve one purpose, to get the company score up, which it has for the last 6 months without any other reason than fake positive reviews. This company is in some areas average, while in other areas far below average. Truthfulness is neither appreciated nor valued, and 'alternative facts' along with positive storytelling without basis in reality is making poisoning the work environment.

"HIgh hopes to lost dreams"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Statoil full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits, Salary, office environment, fitness center, discounted dining

Cons

No direction, poor communication from the top, a sense of forced change every six months for no good reason, Norwegian Employees get the best deals including severance, relocation and management positions

Advice to Management

Require the "Statoil Way" across the globe, especially in the USA.

"Good for Norway: Bad for USA"

Former Employee - Reservoir Engineer in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Reservoir Engineer in Houston, TX

I worked at Statoil full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good working environment, salary, benefits, etc.

Cons

No operations, only following other companies. A lot of internal promotion and movie making, but little to no action for real business. Very short sighted and proud.

Advice to Management

Stop acting like your Top Gun when you are not. A humble attitude goes a long way. The company values deteriorated to almost nothing. Very sad.

6. "They are in a boat with no direction!"

Former Employee - Senior Analyst in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Analyst in Houston, TX

Pros

Be ready for organizational changes annual basis.

Cons

Leadership is poorly skilled and should be international..

Advice to Management

Model International companies, the big ones, like Exxon, Chevron, look for better practices, your Norwegian practices cannot be implemented in the world, you should be adaptable and flexible to become one of the big ones..

"Distorted Values"

Current Employee - Service Administration to Assetts in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Service Administration to Assetts in Houston, TX

I have been working at Statoil full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The benefits are good, but not great. That is to say they are average when compared to peers.
    Great people abound. The values of this company are OPEN, CARING, COURAGEOUS, and HANDS ON.

Cons

The values are actually upheld only to the benefit of the company, CARING is only to care for the company, and to work employees to the point of despair and the employee gets a 10 mile stare. OPEN is used by supervisors in the system of People at Statoil, making goals to improve the reported impressions employees so that it appears that supervisors are performing well. COURAGEOUS, is the employee's mandate to survive in the self serving environment of supervisors. HANDS ON is the process used for laying off experienced employees in favor of those employees that speak the right catch phrases or words but do not have the knowledge or skills necessary. HANDS ON is the process where management is given the power to promise what it can NOT achieve and how the goal is rewritten to make success while driving good employees to despair or leaving the company.

Advice to Management

Use a common dictionary to find out what the four values mean and DO NOT use the antonyms

"Consulting Landman"

Former Employee - Consulting Landman in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Consulting Landman in Houston, TX

Pros

Conveniently located right off of toll road.

Cons

Not well managed. Management is disconnected from staff .

Advice to Management

Your supervisory personnel are very inexperienced without management skills. Obviously promoted based on factors other than qualifications.

"culture"

I have been working at Statoil full-time

Pros

very good work life balance and benifits

Cons

not focus on technical. too bureaucratic. talent is not much valued.

"Smokes and Mirrors"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Statoil full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good work/life balance, some processes actually seem to work (annual reviews), benefits good. The old EVP was very personable and approachable and really cared about people.

Cons

When I first joined this company a few years ago we all commented on how wonderful it was. Then things started to change. Incompetent management at the upper level is the main cause. Statoil pays lip service to values but there's no visible commitment. Personnel is on another planet. Mid management seem OK but upper seems to have no direction. There exist processes about processes, and it's hard to get anything done. The re-org has been handled terribly, it took too long and now the onshore team is being moved. Family values? Don't make me laugh!

Advice to Management

Live the values, recognize people who deliver, get rid of management who are out of their depth and work out who is not contributing. Decent management can see this but some have been promoted into areas where they can't cope. PowerPoint skills do not make good mangers!