Statoil Reviews | Glassdoor

Statoil Reviews

Updated November 24, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great company with good values - good work / life balance (in 56 reviews)

• Excelent benefits and work environment (in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • Very process oriented, sometime make decision making longer (in 12 reviews)

• What's keeping employees in Oil and gas (in 5 reviews)

1. "Very good company to work"

Former Employee - Consultant in Rio de Janeiro (Brazil)
    Former Employee - Consultant in Rio de Janeiro (Brazil)

I worked at Statoil full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good salary, benefits package, friendly environment, flexible work schedule for onshore employee.

Cons

Some leaders bring friends to work there and tend to protect them. Lack of career plan.

2. "Senior Procurement Coordinator"

I worked at Statoil full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Few of the companies that ethics and openness still scores 70%; and there is great respect for people and culture.

Cons

needs to be truly international in management and behaviour

Advice to Management

using locals to run your businesses can be much more profitable and effective.

"If you're not Norwegian, you are second class citizen"

Current Employee - Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Statoil full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Work life balance; good benefits

Cons

Discriminate against non-Norwegian or people without a strong tie to Corporate
    All important positions in the USA are held by expats from Norway even though local staff are equally or in many cases, even more qualified than expat (e.g. Head of Government and Public Affairs office, and many more). US, the only location where Statoil has sizable operatorship outside of Norway, is the training ground for the high-flier Norwegians. Every 2 - 3 years, they send a new batch of expats to the USA to get trained then come home to brag about what they did (or what they claimed credit for to be more correct). Senior leaders of the USA unit talked about business but do not really care about the performance of the business. They are more concerned about making their personal stamp, marketing it to the guys at home in order to climb up the ladder.
    If you are after work and life balance and ok to be bypassed for promotion opportunities, its the place for you. As long as you get along with people, they'll leave you alone even if you don't really do anything. If you look for a well-managed business where you are treated equally for promotion opportunities, you will be very unhappy here

Advice to Management

- Start walk your talk on people development and review your diversity policy or it will be just a matter of time, some one will sue you for good money
    - If you inspire to become a truly international company, its high time for Your Highness Executives to realize that its not your Norwegians that drive change and commercial mindset, its the international staff that bring the different view points and challenge your Norwegian way of working. Smart companies understand that they are not only after resources in international locations, but also after international talents because talented leaders will bring you sustainable success. Keep using US to train your naïve Norwegians who though they were a big shot, one day you will have no other options but selling off your US business and back to be the National oil company which you truly are. And by the way, you have destroyed many, many billions of your shareholders money with your tunnel vision.

"Great company to work for!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Statoil full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Fantastic benefits, competitive salary, 9/80 work schedule, beautiful office, lots of opportunity for travel and most importantly, great people!

Cons

Far too many expats in senior roles with reorganization every year or so.

"Good Company for a family Life"

Current Employee - Petroleum Engineer in Bergen (Norway)
    Current Employee - Petroleum Engineer in Bergen (Norway)

I have been working at Statoil full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent work life balance. Family is first.
    Work is very relaxed. If you are an ambitious person, this is not the company for you. Expect to learn Norwegian. Promotions like any national oil company go first to the locals, then to you. This is just the way it is.
    Advisers have good technical competence. Company is a good brand name to have on your CV

Cons

Pay is below average internationally, but the people you work with are very nice .

Advice to Management

Promote based on merit

6. "Senior researcher"

I have been working at Statoil full-time

Pros

Good work and live balance

Cons

Too much bureaucracy; the management system is rather inefficient.

7. "Great place to work"

I have been working at Statoil full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people, great leadership, true to the Statoil values

Cons

No complaints about the company.

8. "Not very international"

I have been working at Statoil full-time

Pros

Owned by the government . Decent salary and work culture eventhough there are some excemptions .

Cons

Not at all international people dont want to speak in english eventhough the official language in english, you are often sidelined if you dont speak the local language,

Advice to Management

Hopefully Statoil can treat employees equally and respect its official language.

9. "Trader"

Pros

Good balance work - private life

Cons

Salary is lower than average

"Mixed bag"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Statoil full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There are some quality individuals that have stuck with Statoil over the years and I feel fortunate to work with them on a daily basis. There are small niches within the company that get it and understand what it means to work in a collaborative, efficient and forward-thinking environment.

Cons

Management is a joke. They do not want input or feedback, which is in direct contradiction to the core values of being Open, Courageous, Caring and Collaborative (formerly Hands-on). Many of these individuals have been promoted above their area(s) of expertise and seem to retain a cult status within the company. This is a common thread across many disciplines and departments in both the Houston and Austin office.

The latest example of the childish culture to which we are subjected can be seen by an email sent to all employees in the Austin office this evening by our esteemed SVP of US Onshore Operations.

"All,

As I sat in a meeting in Paramount this afternoon, I casually monitored the use of the handrails on the stairs between the 4th and 5th floors. I am very disappointed to say that 90% of the people that used the stairs did not use the handrails. I want each and every one of you to know that I consider this unacceptable behavior. I expect our office employees to work to the same standard we expect of our field employees, and I expect everyone to use the handrails when you use the stairs. This is an easy rule to follow, and I look forward to observing people using the handrails from now on."

Who would want to work under senior management as condescending as this?

If you're a fan of layers upon layers upon layers of unnecessary management and playing the game to get ahead, then you might consider this Con a Pro.

Advice to Management

You're not doing yourselves, the company nor the shareholders any favors by continuing to listen to inept people. Yes-men do not a profitable and functioning company make. Figure out what really needs to be accomplished and abandon the ridiculous KPI's put forth to people just trying to promote themselves because they can say they did something. Fear should not be a motivating factor in management style to get things done, especially when they are done for superficial reasons. I advise you to ask for a refund if you hired a personal coach for the guy who wrote the email mentioned in the Cons section.