Statoil Reviews | Glassdoor

Statoil Reviews

Updated January 14, 2018

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great company with good values - good work / life balance (in 57 reviews)

• Excelent benefits and work environment (in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • Very process oriented, sometime make decision making longer (in 12 reviews)

• What's keeping employees in Oil and gas (in 5 reviews)

1. "Senior researcher"

I have been working at Statoil full-time

Pros

Good work and live balance

Cons

Too much bureaucracy; the management system is rather inefficient.

2. "Great place to work"

I have been working at Statoil full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people, great leadership, true to the Statoil values

Cons

No complaints about the company.

3. "Not very international"

I have been working at Statoil full-time

Pros

Owned by the government . Decent salary and work culture eventhough there are some excemptions .

Cons

Not at all international people dont want to speak in english eventhough the official language in english, you are often sidelined if you dont speak the local language,

Advice to Management

Hopefully Statoil can treat employees equally and respect its official language.

4. "Trader"

Pros

Good balance work - private life

Cons

Salary is lower than average

"Mixed bag"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Statoil full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There are some quality individuals that have stuck with Statoil over the years and I feel fortunate to work with them on a daily basis. There are small niches within the company that get it and understand what it means to work in a collaborative, efficient and forward-thinking environment.

Cons

Management is a joke. They do not want input or feedback, which is in direct contradiction to the core values of being Open, Courageous, Caring and Collaborative (formerly Hands-on). Many of these individuals have been promoted above their area(s) of expertise and seem to retain a cult status within the company. This is a common thread across many disciplines and departments in both the Houston and Austin office.

The latest example of the childish culture to which we are subjected can be seen by an email sent to all employees in the Austin office this evening by our esteemed SVP of US Onshore Operations.

"All,

As I sat in a meeting in Paramount this afternoon, I casually monitored the use of the handrails on the stairs between the 4th and 5th floors. I am very disappointed to say that 90% of the people that used the stairs did not use the handrails. I want each and every one of you to know that I consider this unacceptable behavior. I expect our office employees to work to the same standard we expect of our field employees, and I expect everyone to use the handrails when you use the stairs. This is an easy rule to follow, and I look forward to observing people using the handrails from now on."

Who would want to work under senior management as condescending as this?

If you're a fan of layers upon layers upon layers of unnecessary management and playing the game to get ahead, then you might consider this Con a Pro.

Advice to Management

You're not doing yourselves, the company nor the shareholders any favors by continuing to listen to inept people. Yes-men do not a profitable and functioning company make. Figure out what really needs to be accomplished and abandon the ridiculous KPI's put forth to people just trying to promote themselves because they can say they did something. Fear should not be a motivating factor in management style to get things done, especially when they are done for superficial reasons. I advise you to ask for a refund if you hired a personal coach for the guy who wrote the email mentioned in the Cons section.

"Chaos reigns"

Current Employee - Senior Treasury Analyst in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Treasury Analyst in Austin, TX

I have been working at Statoil full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay, benefits, discount lunch, nice facility

Cons

Chaotic environment, workloads between individuals vary widely, managers without the experience or expertise to add value so they focus on Powerpoint presentations and "face time" with other management.

Advice to Management

Really-you have no idea what you are doing! Bring in some fresh blood with a clue on how to manage manpower needs.

7. "Principal Engineer"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I worked at Statoil full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great professional development opportunities and organization with strong emphasis on safety and environmental impact of its operations. Excelent benefits and work environment.

Cons

Large organization which won't allow it to be flexible enough for some type of decisions. Impact of their decisions on individuals basis sometimes is not great and due to uncertainties in oil market they affect in a great deal.

8. "Great company"

Pros

Great working environment.
    Good work/life balance.
    Strong company values.
    Good health/dental benefits

Cons

None that I can think of.

Advice to Management

Explain/communicate better company's strategies.

9. "good company"

Former Employee - Analyst
    Former Employee - Analyst

I worked at Statoil (More than a year)

Pros

healthcare, 9/80, casual attire,

Cons

long hours, need more staff

"Core Values? None. Deceptive? 100%"

Former Employee - Anonymous in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Houston, TX

I worked at Statoil full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits are amazing. They paid for me and my family. Unfortunately that is the only thing I miss. However you will need it because the stress will eventually affect your health working there.

Cons

Promotions? Not unless you are in Norway. If you like to be treated like you are worthless and incompetent you are at the right place. HR obviously turns a blind eye to the hostile work environment and allows management to belittle employees in front of others. Raises? That's funny. Bonuses are a mockery IF you get one. You get performance reviews almost on a monthly basis. Actually it's more like a review of how worthless you are even if you meet or exceed your goals. Sincerity doesn't even reach managements eyes. Corporate goals are unrealistic. The undue stress caused by backstabbing managers seriously affected my health causing high blood pressure from the stress. Since I left it has gone away! Go figure!

Advice to Management

Find managers who know how to be a part of a team and not a dictator.