Steak n Shake Reviews | Glassdoor

Steak n Shake Reviews

Updated July 22, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Flexible schedule for high school or college students (in 41 reviews)

• Fast paced restaurant and I have enjoyed my time working there (in 30 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours, 3rd shift can be hard to fill (in 53 reviews)

• Low Pay, benefits are not very good (in 34 reviews)

"Horrible"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Steak n Shake part-time

Pros

Nice coworkers
    Opportunity to give great customer service

Cons

Understaff
    Careless managers
    Overworked and underpaid
    Low Tips

Advice to Management

Find a good team of employees that can be available to work each station accordingly. Treat store like you don't want it to fall apart.

"So good you'll want to blow your brains out"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Batesville, IN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Batesville, IN

I have been working at Steak n Shake (More than a year)

Pros

The people I have met at SnS have become my closest friends and you will cherish every moment with them until they're forced to quit because they hate their life and job.
    When you request a day off you will likely get it (not the case for OS or management)
    So easy anyone could learn it. Doing it properly is a different story for some people.

Cons

Jesus Christ where do I start. Well let's start off with the fact that when I started everyone was fantastic at their job and we had plenty of staff, plenty of revenue, and the staff was very helpful. This is no longer the case. 90% of our original staff is no longer there for at least one of these reasons: harassment, anger, not enough pay, constant shift in management (meaning I have went through 4 sets of managers ranging to 4 or 5 at a time since I started), better job offers, feuds with management or coworkers, or they just plain hate their job. Most people threaten to quit or get in a fight with another person in a daily basis. If you are production, you soon learn that servers are your worst enemy. Not all of them, some of them are actually competent, but most of them appear to be severely mentally challenged. But recently I gained the perspective of a server and realized that servers often feel the same way about us and we yell at them way too often and we can never just get along. It's not easy on either side, really. Shakes is a nightmare, guys. Listen to me. If you are out in fountain you WILL WANT TO NEVER COME BACK..EVER..it is not the worst part about SnS, but it's probably number 2. Number one would have to be management. We currently have one manager who does their job extremely well, and that is awesome. As for the other managers. They are the most idiotic, self-centered, entitled, pretentious animals in the world and you will hate them. Daily. Even if they try to be your friend they are your enemy and you have to know this because they are fake people who only use everyone else for their own benefit. They even do this to each other. It's like a constant high school drama 24/7 (which is also how often we are open FML) and it never ends. They will promise you everything and then give you nothing in a heartbeat because they think it's funny to mess with people like that. The number 0 worst thing is customers. You are not the only person in the building. Stop acting like it. Yes, we run out of things, yes we mess up sometimes, no we can't do things against policy just because you ask with hostility, and NO WE CAN'T GIVE YOU FREE FOOD BECAUSE YOU WAITED 10 MINUTES FOR THREE BURGERS, TWO REGULAR FRIES, TWO SHAKES, AND TWO LARGE DRINKS. We are people too. We are not machines meant to do your bidding and submit to your will whenever you please. Also, if you threaten to kill me, my loved ones, and my manager over a shake, you may be liable for a throat punching. It doesn't change anything just because you BARELY pay my bills. All of these are just a few examples of what I deal with ever single day. I hate it and you will too so please, for the love of god, don't do it. You will regret working here.

Advice to Management

Keep your head in straight and look out for EVERYONE. Not just yourselves. Be willing to accept it when some things don't go your way exactly or if something changes. Don't throw a fit and blame us for you not ordering enough (insert product here). Be willing to accept that we can't always work all the time, especially when we have not even 13 production people total, and even fewer servers. We have maybe 5 people working a day and that's a full 24 hr day with 5 people running 6 stations. Not five people a shift, five people a day. Consider yourselves lucky to have workers at all even thigh soon you won't, we're all planning on leaving.

"Restaurant Manager"

Former Employee - Restaurant Manager in West Palm Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Restaurant Manager in West Palm Beach, FL

I worked at Steak n Shake full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Avg pay, such high turnover leaves plenty of advancement opportunities

Cons

Poor working conditions, unrealistic expectations, not given the proper tools, training, or support to do the job effectively, never able to leave on time, have to do the job of staff and manage at the same time without proper legal compensation, no contact from corporate supervision unless it's negative

Advice to Management

Find a different company to work for

4. "It has not been worth it."

Current Employee - Operations Supervisor in Lees Summit, MO
    Current Employee - Operations Supervisor in Lees Summit, MO

I have been working at Steak n Shake full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It will keep you busy. The workload is generally not mentally it is just so easy. You don't even have to think it is easy.

Cons

No one has motivation. No one has any sense of work ethic. People that work here are generally immature.

Advice to Management

Stop just sitting down.

"Server"

Current Employee - Server in Cookeville, TN
    Current Employee - Server in Cookeville, TN

I have been working at Steak n Shake part-time (More than a year)

Pros

All my coworkers are very nice and easy to get along with. It was a great starter serving job and now I make good money.

Cons

The managers are terrible. You never get off on time. People think that Steak n Shake is like McDonalds and don't have to tip. Production people get stressed out easily and freak out and get pissy.

Advice to Management

They need to do their job better and stop blaming servers for everything. They also need to handle customers better.

6. "Fast hard work for minimum wage"

Former Employee - Part Time Cashier in Mobile, AL
    Former Employee - Part Time Cashier in Mobile, AL

I worked at Steak n Shake part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent teenage job, lot of shakes

Cons

Drive thru time limit, long hours, busy

7. "Production Team Leader"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Myers, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Myers, FL

I worked at Steak n Shake full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

.Good hours
    Offer raises every 6 months. If you put in the work and time to become a great asset for the business you can get up to a pretty decent pay.

Cons

Will use you as they please.
    The regular restaurant job issues( lazy co-workers, disrespectful customers and/or servers, messy customers

8. "Dont work there"

Former Employee - Kitchen Staff in Barbourville, KY
    Former Employee - Kitchen Staff in Barbourville, KY

I worked at Steak n Shake full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Discounts on food and shakes

Cons

Bad management under staff

Advice to Management

Hire people that is wanting to work

9. "beware of owners"

Former Employee - Food Server in Columbus, GA
    Former Employee - Food Server in Columbus, GA

I worked at Steak n Shake full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

you can get alot of hours put in and it's easy to move up in the company

Cons

Beeware of the owners they like to sit and watch.

Advice to Management

keep up the good work. management is the only good thing they got going

10. "It was not for me."

Former Employee - Server in Hiram, GA
    Former Employee - Server in Hiram, GA

I worked at Steak n Shake part-time

Pros

You get to serve friendly people. Some parts of days are relaxed and fun. You leave with cash in hand and get an employee discount and free drinks.

Cons

It's stressful; someone times you deal with rude customers and get triple sat. I was put on the floor a little too soon without ample training. Unless you get a lot in tips, your overall wage is $7.25/hour.

Advice to Management

Hire a dishwasher so you never risk running out of clean dishes.