Stearns Lending Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
David Schneider

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • The benefits are terrible, the salary is subpar (in 4 reviews)

• The cost of living has increased, home prices have increased (larger profits), but company does not give any raises (in 4 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Transparency from the top is much appreciated."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lewisville, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lewisville, TX

I have been working at Stearns Lending full-time

Pros

Great Culture, Great work life balance. Leadership, in regards to my team have always been transparent about the status of the company and the industry. Whenever leadership has mentioned glassdoor and reviews they have always said be honest and let us know where the company succeeds and where the company struggles. Never have the told us to come and write positive reviews to grow our rating. This is a great place to work, my co-workers are amazing, and I feel purpose within my position.

Cons

Benefits are not the greatest but they suffice.

Advice to Management

Keep communication open from the top down. Really appreciate Brian's talks about the company and the industry.

Mar 27, 2017 – Corporate

We’re happy to hear you’ve enjoyed your experience at Stearns! Communication is a high priority here and we’re glad that you appreciate our open door environment. Thank you for feedback.

2. "Staff"

Current Employee - JV Mortgage Loan Officer in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - JV Mortgage Loan Officer in Houston, TX

I have been working at Stearns Lending full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great company to work for and do business with. They are prompt to assist you as an employee and as a client. Very friendly an helpful.

Cons

none that I can see

3. "Momentum!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Danville, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Danville, CA

I have been working at Stearns Lending full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Diverse product line
    Leadership focused on development and empowerment
    Aggressive growth plans
    Well capitalized

Cons

I can't think of any

Advice to Management

Keep investing in your people and your markets!

Jul 5, 2017 – Corporate

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us! We appreciate your thoughts on our products, leadership and growth plans. All of these great things are possible because of our outstanding team. Thank... More

4. "Momentum!"

Current Employee - Management in Lewisville, TX
    Current Employee - Management in Lewisville, TX

I have been working at Stearns Lending full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Stearns is creating really strong momentum in the marketplace and will be incredibly disruptive in the marketplace! Their revolutionary digital platform is making it easier for people to achieve the American dream of homeownership. The operations people are very dedicated with the "I can help you" approach, and work with a very high level of urgency to provide an exemplary experience to all parties involved. The culture is Thriving with the new leadership and everybody feels the energy! I love this place and hope to retire here after impacting many many lives!

Cons

Nothing that I can think of right now.

Advice to Management

Stay the course and keep making your people you greatest asset.

Jul 5, 2017 – Corporate

Thanks for taking the time to provide a review. We’re glad you’ve caught the enthusiasm of the Momentum movement at Stearns. We believe this is the beginning of great things for our employees and... More

"Loan processor"

Current Employee - Loan Processor in Costa Mesa, CA
    Current Employee - Loan Processor in Costa Mesa, CA

I have been working at Stearns Lending full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great work environment and flexibility.

Cons

Benefits are expensive, Stingy PTO accruals and no pay raises. The cost of living has increased, home prices have increased (larger profits), but company does not give any raises.

Advice to Management

Pay livable wages, show employees appreciation, provide a better benefits package.

Jul 5, 2017 – Corporate

Thank you for your review. We are working aggressively to improve the employee experience at Stearns, with a goal of becoming the employer of choice in the industry. Listening to feedback, like... More

6. "Remote AVP"

Current Employee - Assistant Vice President in Lewis Colonia, TX
    Current Employee - Assistant Vice President in Lewis Colonia, TX

I have been working at Stearns Lending full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Opportunities for advancement. Senior Executives are proponents for ethics, education and professional advancement.

Cons

I don't have a con for working with Stearns.

Jun 4, 2017 – Corporate

Thanks for taking a moment to share your thoughts on working here! We love hearing what makes Stearns great from our employees' perspectives.

"The worst of the worst to work for"

Former Employee - Senior Loan Processor in Lombard, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Loan Processor in Lombard, IL

I worked at Stearns Lending full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some of the loan officers are great. Dual monitors to work with. Centralized location to the expressway. Smaller company to work for

Cons

Management is unprofessional. Awful benefits. Management is more focused the loan officers and not managing and assisting the preceding processing staff.

Advice to Management

The managers are unprofessional. Need better benefits. Offer more raises to show your employees are appreciated for their Hardwork and dedication.

"Company of great people but are underappreciated by management"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Ana, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Ana, CA

I worked at Stearns Lending full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Stearns has some really great people. My tenure was not a short one (more than a handful of years), and I got to know a ton of people who are really nice and enjoyable people.

Cons

Those same great people can be awful coworkers or managers. Stearns has a habit of hiring in people when they should be promoting people up - probably because they hate giving anyone a raise or promotion. I've heard that they are about to implement a formal process for a compensation review, but currently there isn't one and even if you manager recommends you for a raise and/or promotion you can expect it to sit on a higher up's desk for months before you get an answer about it. The corporate team is now understaffed thanks to the layoffs, and constantly fielding requests from the sales branches who should already know the answers. There's a great company culture that centers on passing the buck, and miles of red tape (from being a large and established company) doesn't help. This makes it a frustrating and dizzying process to get anything done (including your actual job).

Advice to Management

You guys could really turn this ship around very easily. YOu have some high performers in sales but you should start taking a look at other positions within the branch and corporate offices - there's a lot of senior people who appear to be incompetent that could benefit from increased training opportunities and/or firmer management. The benefits aren't great, but I do know there have been some positive changes so keep pushing that direction. Take the chance to review that compensation review procedure before it rolls out and really make sure it's a good one - people in your company work very hard with little recognition from management and would appreciate if this new process covered more than just COL increases. This is your company. You're busy and you've got a lot of issues to solve but remember that they're your problems to solve - take ownership and responsibility and get it turned around.

9. "Smart stable company"

Current Employee - Underwriting Manager in Walnut Creek, CA
    Current Employee - Underwriting Manager in Walnut Creek, CA

I have been working at Stearns Lending full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Stable, strong branch level and corporate level management, positive environment, strong team mentality, great rapport with sales partners

Cons

There is no bonus for managers

Jun 4, 2017 – Corporate

Thanks for taking a moment to share your experience! We appreciate your comments and feedback. We encourage you to continue to share your voice, as you are important to the success of the company.

10. "I love working at Stearns"

Current Employee - Operations Manager in Walnut Creek, CA
    Current Employee - Operations Manager in Walnut Creek, CA

I have been working at Stearns Lending full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The culture of the company is the biggest strength. Management from the top down care about their employees. You feel respected, valued, and important in every role you play within the organization. Suggestions and opinions matter and they listen and act. Every new employee who starts within a few days comments on how wonderful it is here at Stearns.

Cons

There is nothing I do not like about Stearns Lending.

Jun 4, 2017 – Corporate

We love hearing what you love about being a part of Stearns! We find our culture to be one of our best assets and we're happy that you feel the same way. Thanks for sharing!