Steel City Executives Reviews | Glassdoor

"Account Executive"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Monroeville, PA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Monroeville, PA

I worked at Steel City Executives full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly environment , with motivated people. Promotion was based on results and work ethic , not just on tenure. Chances of being able to take business trips and connecting with other employees in the company.

Cons

A lot of hours dedicated to the job , very demanding of results so if you're not mentally strong then the job could be very stressful. It is all commissioned based so if you're struggling to make sales it wont be lucrative.

Advice to Management

Be upfront about the demand of being self-motivated and enthusiastic so those interested in the job have a complete understanding of what will be expected

"You'll Learn A Lot, but Walk Away with Nothing"

I worked at Steel City Executives full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

At first, working for the company is awesome.
     - Everyone is positive and motivated and want you to succeed. Pretty much everyone likes each other and it's energetic

Many travel opportunities and rewards throughout the year are a great perk.
     - You get to travel all over and have a chance to win different opportunities throughout the year. In the short time I was there, I got to see and experience a lot of cool things through winning contests.

The idea of the opportunity there is inspiring.
     - It's a great place to have the "Rags to Riches" sort of story.

The sales job itself isn't hard.
     - It's just walking around neighborhoods talking to people and selling an alternative energy source to them.

They teach you how to do everything and give coaching
     - Everything is very structured and systematic in their teachings.

Cons

1) It's a massive time-commitment with little to no balance with a life outside of work
    - You work 50 hours a week easily plus you're expected to attend every team and crew night after work. Hours go from 11-9 unless you have "one-on-ones" which usually can start from 9-9 then there are outings afterwards which can go until 11 twice a week. You work 6 days/week. Plus, you have to go on "business trips" where you work out of a different office for a whole week. If you have friends and a life outside, you can kiss all of that good bye working here. If you enjoy working and being a workaholic, then it's a great place for that.

2) Pay is weak
    - It's great for uncapped opportunity for sure. However, there are days I left with nothing and weeks I got paid less than minimum wage for the 50+ hours I worked. You can choose each week at the beginning of the week which options you want, but if you don't at least 5 sales/week, you basically walk away with nothing. If you're tight on money, then this is not the place to work.

3) The culture is...odd
    - Everyone is very young so if you're young it's a very cool place and I enjoyed it at first. However, I soon realized how cult-like it is. Everyone explains things in the same way and talks the same way. It makes sense since the people you work with become your best friends/work partners/significant others because your actual life is gone at that point.

4) It's a fancy pyramid scheme
     - Your promotion through the system is entirely dependent on other people. They tell you that it can be done in a year and sure, it sounds great, but the people who have been working there the longest (1-2 years) haven't even become close to getting promoted from the account executive position. Eventually, if you fail for long enough, they try to kick you out. You have to be good at milking the system, kissing up and manipulating people if you want to succeed.

5) If you have a car, get ready to put some miles on it.
    - I put 3,000+ miles on my car driving people around in the few months I was there. They compensate for gas, but if you don't make a certain amount while there, you get nothing for it. Also, there are virtually no real job benefits besides some health coverage and the gas compensation you may or may not get.

Advice to Management

1) Make Saturdays completely optional. Your employees deserve some time to themselves. That cultivates success and doesn't burn them out in such a short amount of time. If they don't want to go to team/crew nights, don't guilt them about it. Balance leads to success.

2) Offer an hourly wage instead or in addition to. Your employees work through all conditions and deserve to walk away with something at the end of the day. It's mentally, emotionally and physically exhausting to be out in the field 8 hours a day plus everything else.

3) Be real, be yourselves. Everyone that works there is unique and talented in their own ways. It's so hard to get to know people truly when they have this front on all of the time.

4) Not sure how to offer advice on this since it's the structure of 100+ companies like SCE, but relying on innocent people for your own success lacks one of your four pillars - integrity. Those who want to be successful should rely on only one person - himself or herself.

5) Be up front with them. They deserve that much.

Overall: Be upfront about everything. Treat your employees with respect and help them when they need help. Don't let them flounder in their own confusion. Actually embrace the four pillars you subscribe to.

"Great Opportunity for Growth"

Current Employee - Corporate Trainer in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Steel City Executives full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The team atmosphere is one of the reasons I have enjoyed working at SCE for the past year. Ben is a great coach and trainer and has always given me the confidence I needed to move forward and grow professionally. The leadership team welcomed me immediately and made my transition from college to work pretty easy. The environment is professional but fun and exciting. There is also a lot of opportunity for travel, as I have visited Orlando, Chicago, Baltimore, Indianapolis, Cincinnati, and am headed to Nashville this weekend for leadership conferences.

The opportunity for advancement and money-making are what made me interested in the company from the beginning. The day-to-day aspects of the job are easy to catch onto, and I was promoted into a leadership role within my first 2 weeks and was able to take on additional responsibilities. I have learned how to conduct preliminary and second round interviews, coach and develop others, and manage a small team. I have also learned public speaking and time management skills. The opportunity for advancement and money-making is definitely there if you're willing to put in the time and effort.

Cons

For those who are looking to work a 40 hour week, this position may not be for you. Any time outside of the 40 hours is completely optional and at the discretion of the employees, but the fast track to management will require putting in the extra time. Also, the position requires the ability to manage your own time and be self-motivated, so it may not be the appropriate position for someone who needs constant supervision.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work and continue to run an opportunity office!!

"Beware, door-to-door sales"

I worked at Steel City Executives full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It is a friendly work environment. The managers and other experienced leaders are very approachable and will be very patient as you go through the training and entry level process.

The methods and techniques taught to employees are very informative and useful despite the nature of the job. They can be applied in all fields of sales.

There is a prospect of making large amounts of money in a few years and it's not impossible if one is willing to overcome brutal challenges

Cons

It is door to door sales that tries to get people to switch electrical suppliers; and this is something that many people you will talk to don't understand. Electricity is something people just have anyway with the utility, and you must convince people to switch where the source of the electricity comes from.

The compensation is commission only. They will try to tell you that there is a $300 weekly base pay option during the interviews. What they did not say in the interviews is that you must make a minimum amount of sales during the week to be able to get that base pay. The minimum is not impossible or anything, but agents in the field are expected to knock on over 100 doors a day and are expected to have a success rate of about 1-2%.

For entry level agents, it can be punishingly difficult to make sales in the first month. There will be days where you're out alone and days when you are out with a trainer or manager. After you figure out the system, the trainers are usually more harmful than helpful. There would be times where I would be on my way to a sale with a potential customer, they would then ask me a question I could answer, but the trainer would usually step in and answer for you when not needed. They would then take over the rest of the process, and upon completion of the sale, the sale would get credited to the trainer leaving you with no money for any of the work done.

Hours are ungodly. They are 8.5 hours but are the worst 8hr combination. 12-830 Monday-Friday. Saturdays are 10-530. My opinion, it's no way to live.

The dress code is very odd. Entry levels and trainers are required to wear full business attire for the morning meetings that last about an hour (15 minutes of business, 45 minutes of games or some other activity), then they need to change into a polo shirt every day before going into the field. Everyone crowds every bathroom in the office building to change, I found it hilarious.

In conclusion, the prospect of making a lot of money is nice, but do you really want to do it running a place like this?

Advice to Management

I understand that it's tough to find enough people willing to work a job like this. But the process to me felt wrong. Too many cons were turned into positives in a very misleading fashion, and the fact that I was not aware of the minimum sales amount required for base pay bothers me. So try to be more truthful with interviewees and trainees about the nature of the job, and the requirements of it. Don't make it more than what it is, for example calling yourselves 'management consultants' in a marketing firm doesn't make much sense.

Also, consider maybe splitting commissions between trainers and trainees if the trainee does some of the process when together.

"Great!"

Former Employee - Marketing Executive in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Marketing Executive in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Steel City Executives (More than a year)

Pros

Great work environment, Business oriented, Very Helpful

Cons

Long Hours, Outside Sales, Commission Only

Advice to Management

Very possible with dedication

"Friendly environment, advancement opportunity"

I worked at Steel City Executives full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Great camaraderie among everyone in the office which I loved since past restaurant jobs had been anything but
    - Training is very hands on and there is always something new to learn every day
    - I liked the friendly competition that exists in the office, being a former athlete it was really refreshing

Cons

The only that comes to mind is the need to come back to the office for nightly wrap up if the customers I was meeting with for the day were near my house.

Advice to Management

Consider allowing people to work from home on certain days of the week or create incentives to earn paid days off after being there for a while.

"Poor"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Pittsburgh, PA

Pros

Very friendly people and clean office

Cons

They are very upfront with their employees, but they fail to explain to you till the final day of interviews that you have to knock on people's doors like a telemarketer. What is this the 1980's?

Advice to Management

Explain your job titles and put this in the desperation so people don't waste their time!

"Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Management Trainee in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Management Trainee in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Steel City Executives full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

When I started here at Steel City, this was not just another job, it was the beginning of a career. The people at here are not only in the business for themselves, but are here for each other's success. It is a very motivational place to work and it is a lot of fun. I always come to work with a smile on my face!

Cons

There are very few downsides although I think we could use a bigger office space. It would allow for more individualized work areas and space for one on one coaching.

A refrigerator would be nice as well. =)

Advice to Management

Keeping working hard to help other people in the office. I'm excited to continue growing with the company!

"Great career path out of college, lots of professional development, great coworkers"

Current Employee - Corporate Trainer in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Steel City Executives full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I started working with the company right after I graduated college and immediately fell in love with the team environment and constant coaching that was available. I didn't have any real world business experience so I wanted a position that would allow me to gain hands on experience. The you can definitely tell the leadership team cares greatly about their employees and they really want to see you excel. It's great getting to progress through their training program with a lot of like minded people that know how to have fun as well. I love the exciting team building activities that are available on a weekly basis.

Cons

My only concern early on was the amount of time that I had to dedicate to the position. I was expecting to ease into a career, but definitely felt a little overwhelmed for the first few weeks as I was picking up the basics. I wish the first week of training lasted longer as well as I was a little bit slower at picking up the product knowledge and systems in place.

Advice to Management

Do more philanthropy events throughout the year as they are a great opportunity to give back. Consider setting up more frequent networking calls instead of just once a week. Work with the client to give higher training bonuses for the first week of training.

"Challenging, yet rewarding career path"

I worked at Steel City Executives full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Great team environment with a lot of positive, goal oriented people
    - Travel opportunities (L.A., Vegas, Orlando)
    - There isn't seniority when it comes to advancement
    - Uncapped payment structure
    - Fun company events

Cons

- Long commute to where I live
    - Very competitive team environment (may not be for you if you're not)

Advice to Management

Throw more bonuses for gas cards. Consider setting up more frequent philanthropy events.