SteelHouse Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0
SteelHouse President & CEO Mark Douglas
Mark Douglas

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Very open environment and friendly group of people" (in 4 reviews)

• "The office space is refreshing, and they have a dog run outside for your pups" (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • "Regular growing pains, like any company in its growth phase, such as our Wifi going out from time to time and our bathrooms being small" (in 4 reviews)

• "high turnover rate (just in sales, I believe" (in 2 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great Tech and Unique Culture"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Culver City, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Culver City, CA

I have been working at SteelHouse full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Engineering is managing very large scale projects, continuous improvement to components, and focus on automation - great recipe for a gratifying experience. Product is paving the way for the Next Big Thing. Sales is driving month over month, year over year huge growth and wins. Customer Success is driving, well, customer success in using the platform. All the teams are working really well together, focused on worthy objectives. The culture isn't about perks (that we happen to have a lot of) - it's about being the best at what we do while having fun and getting / giving recognition.

Cons

The commute here in LA can be a "challenge". To offset that, the company has flexible hours and a rational WFH policy, so they turn a negative into a positive.

Advice to Management

Let's keep the small company feel as we continue to grow!

Oct 2, 2018 – Head of Talent Acquisition

Thanks so much for sharing your perspective!

"wonderful place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at SteelHouse full-time (More than a year)

Pros

great team of people, great perks, nice office, interesting product

Cons

product releases are slow lately

Advice to Management

let dogs in the office

"One of a Kind"

I have been working at SteelHouse full-time

Pros

It's clear that SteelHouse is something special from the moment you step into the office. The culture and environment that they cultivate is one of a kind. The open office space allows for a collaborative culture that fosters an easygoing, yet efficient work environment. You work side by side leadership that is always willing to listen to feedback and open to change. While you’ll be presented with work that constantly challenges and pushes you to grow, you're surrounded by team members that are readily available to help you along the way.

Cons

Nothing really comes to mind.

Sep 26, 2018 – Head of Talent Acquisition

It’s great to hear that you’re having such a positive experience. Thanks so much for taking time to share!

"Rare that a company cares as much as SteelHouse."

I worked at SteelHouse full-time

Pros

A true emphasis by leadership to ensure employees are both happy and in a position to grow as professionals.

Cons

Nothing significant, but changes in product can happen fast so employees must be prepared to pivot accordingly.

Oct 2, 2018 – Head of Talent Acquisition

Thanks for taking time to review and we wish you the best in your next endeavor!

The engineering & product teams are hyper focused to ensure we have the best advertising suite and CTV offering.... More

"Great culture!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Culver City, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Culver City, CA

I worked at SteelHouse full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Such a collaborative, fun, exciting environment. The company really welcomes people as they are and people work hard because they are truly happy to be there.

Cons

None that I can think of.

Oct 2, 2018 – Head of Talent Acquisition

Thanks so much for recognizing the unique and positive culture!

"Great time, Great people, Great gig"

Pros

Awesome culture, good people, product also rocks!

Cons

Nothing really, if I was still in tech sales, there's no place I'd rather work!

Thank you!

"Performance Analyst"

I worked at SteelHouse full-time

Pros

great culture, good attitude and smart peers

Cons

sometimes unclear management direction from higher ups

Oct 2, 2018 – Head of Talent Acquisition

Thanks for the review and note about direction from leadership. We take this note seriously. The team continues to ensure we right people in place and clarity into goals. We're evolving.

"Don't Take This Sales Job"

Former Employee - Strategic Partnerships in Culver City, CA
    Former Employee - Strategic Partnerships in Culver City, CA

I worked at SteelHouse full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This place has a fun college vibe so if you're looking to keep the college days going with lots of alcohol then it's for you.

Cons

If you're looking to get into sales this is a horrible place to start. They bait you with the "MBA of Sales" and then give you two weeks of programmatic 101 and throw you into the boiler room. You'll be chasing touch points and sending cold emails until you're sick to death of it. The sales leadership will pigeonhole you into selling basic offerings and not even allowing you to push the whole breadth of capabilities. If your clients site doesn't have enough traffic they won't even let you sell them anything.

They're also not a real tech company. They white label the Trade Desk so clients are really just paying extra to use that DSP. Turnover rates on the sales team are insane and all the top salesmen left after they got sued for fraudulent campaign activity.

Advice to Management

Rehaul your entire sales team starting at the top.
    Learn that programmatic goes beyond retargeting.
    Invest in marketing so you actually have warm leads.
    Stop playing favorites and work to make the team succeed, not just your sycophants.

Aug 1, 2018 – Head of Talent Acquisition

First, SteelHouse is a technology company that offers marketers a sophisticated advertising management platform, which leverages our relationships with many partners including The Trade Desk and... More

"A great place to put down roots"

Current Employee - Sales in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Sales in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at SteelHouse full-time (More than a year)

Pros

SteelHouse has given me a lot: a great income, life-long career and personal connections, and the responsibility to help others when I was ready to do so.

At any company I've worked at since I've been in software sales, the biggest question is: did my experience at this company make me a better, more complete sales professional or sales leader? I've never been able to answer that question with a 'yes' as confidently as I can at SteelHouse---

Sales leadership has showed me how to better leverage expansive industry knowledge to my advantage while resisting the temptation to get hyper-technical on calls. I've been given the opportunity to develop the emotional intelligence needed to manage a team. Once I earned my place as a strong sales executive, SteelHouse has continuously given me the chance and the lesson of selling internally, allowing me to share client input so we can build more impactful technology for our prospects and clients.

These are just a few examples, but the tools I've been given here have been a huge asset to me and will be for the rest of my career. Benefits, fun parties, and the laptop are nice, but sort of the tip of the iceberg:)

Cons

The biggest area of opportunity that we have as a company and as a sales organization is to continue encouraging people to engage with the resources around them when things are not going their way.

Whether there's a process that needs tweaking, or if you aren't seeing the individual success you expected, you have an opportunity to either engage with those around you to fix the problem, or disengage and keep things to yourself. It's not always easy to do, but I've always had more success after having a constructive conversation vs. avoiding that initial discomfort.

No company is perfect, but I'm confident that if the SteelHouse can improve get more of us to speak up, we'll have even more happy campers.

Advice to Management

Worked this into the 'Cons' section already.

Very excited for SteelHouse's future, thanks for making a great home.

"Solid Company"

Current Employee - Strategic Partnerships in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Strategic Partnerships in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at SteelHouse full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

SteelHouse is a wonderful place to work. I came in here with absolutely zero industry experience or a rolodex with industry contacts, and was mentored to become successful in my role. Leadership here is great, hands on, and always willing to hop on a call and help you push a deal through. We also have a very close team - strong family vibe over here, so you actually enjoy coming to work.

Cons

Regular growing pains, like any company in its growth phase, such as our Wifi going out from time to time and our bathrooms being small. Any reviews saying negative things are from people who just weren't a good fit, whether that be do to performance, work ethic, or a bad attitude.

Advice to Management

None, you're doing a solid job.

Oct 2, 2018 – Head of Talent Acquisition

Thanks for the note! Wifi should be solid now. Let us know directly if you're still having an issue. :)