Steelcase Reviews | Glassdoor

Steelcase President, CEO & Director James P. Keane
James P. Keane

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • The Grand Rapids HQ has a serious lack of diversity (in 12 reviews)

• High expectations - tough to have a work/life balance (in 6 reviews)

1. "No opportunity for advancement no matter who you are"

I worked at Steelcase full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Keeps you busy. The pay is pretty good if you stick around long enough at least if your hourly

Cons

Put it this way I had a master's degree and I applied for a shift lead position and nobody even acknowledged my application. I then applied for the entry level team lead position after I had been an officer in the United States Army and I was told I wasn't good enough to be a team lead. And that was after I backed up the team lead in my area for two full years and have a letter of recommendation from him to that effect as well, not to mention the DDI leadership report where I had everything tested as a strength or a considerable strength.

Advice to Management

Advice to management? Fire yourselves and get some people that can actually put people who know how to manage in management spots such as shift leads or team leads and probably further on up the line. Nearly completed my doctorate in management and organizational leadership allows me to be a Management Consultant and this is what I see from my first hand experience at Steelcase.

"The Worst place to Work"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at Steelcase as a contractor

Pros

hours are good for some areas

Cons

If you are just a temp employee you have to take all the crap of everyone else plus if a full time steelcase worker wants to get rid of you all they have to do is say that you are looking at them wrong and you are terminated no questions asked. and you do not want to touch anyone even if it means having them back into you that will get you fired really quick.

Advice to Management

What ever........

"Prominent"

Former Employee - IT Manager in Grand Rapids, MI
    Former Employee - IT Manager in Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at Steelcase full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Nice looking facilities, employees can purchase scratch, dent furniture cheap.

Cons

There is a great class divide that is widening exponentially. HQ office people offered bus rides to local outlet mall while plant employees both office and production not provided the same. Free coffee in HQ but not outlying plants. Sad state.

Advice to Management

Lay yourselves off. Annual revenue today is same as 20 years ago, which says a lot.

"Not a good place to work"

Former Employee - Manufacturing Support Technician/Team Leader in Allendale, MI
    Former Employee - Manufacturing Support Technician/Team Leader in Allendale, MI

I worked at Steelcase (More than 5 years)

Pros

good benefits and the one bonus per year

Cons

Leadership has no idea what they are doing. Mid level managers have no idea what they are doing when it comes to family support or empathy. My mother passed away last year and I needed more than a week off to take care of the estate. The "supervisor" hemmed and hawed and said that we have production to run. Since then it has been actually a little worse. Complaints to Plant manager did nothing. Team leads, if you can call them that, are brought in from all walks of life outside of Steelcase with little to no leadership experience. My previous team leader was told he could either take a job in the plant as a team lead or leave since his job, as a cubicle worker, was moving to Mexico. Needless to say there is not enough space here to put all the cons that bad leadership brings with it. Having 20+ years of mid-level management experience myself, I applies for a supervisor position and did not even get an interview. I was told that I "had potential" for an entry level team lead position there. I am glad that they recognized that, especially since I hold a federal Commission in the US Army, and a doctorate level education in Management in Organizational Leadership. That comment about the "entry level" team lead position sealed my opinion in stone.

Advice to Management

Listen to your people, not the mid-level management that have no idea what they are doing except when it comes to getting the numbers.

"Engineer"

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I have been working at Steelcase as a contractor (More than 5 years)

Pros

It's find to hard pros here. Apparently they are one of the leading contract furniture manufacturers so I guess that is good.

Cons

Poor management and leadership. They are quick to hold their people accountable but they never (seriously never) hold themselves accountable. The culture in the plants in the "old school" mentality of get the product shipped no matter what. SC is a billion dollar company but they can't seem to hot water in their bathrooms in the plant.

Advice to Management

Engage with people that make the products day in and day out. Make sure the engagement is honest and sincere. People can spot when they're being lied to.

"Good People - Poor Management"

I have been working at Steelcase full-time

Pros

There are a lot of good people who only remain in the company because it is a good job for the local economy. There aren't many options and people from the area do not want to leave. You always have top-of-the-line work furniture. There are beautiful work spaces and environments.

Cons

Depending on your role, 50%-70% of your time can be spent in meetings. Meetings take twice as long because everyone has a laptop open and is "multi-tasking". There is very little heads down time at your workstation. Management tries to do too much with not enough resources. Management is almost exclusively top-down with little regard for veritical (divisional) leadership knowledge and experience. Employees are paid far less than they could be in other markets (captive workforce).

Advice to Management

Let's narrow the scope and be realistic about capacities and capabilities across all veriticals and and functional organizations.

"One out, ten in"

I worked at Steelcase full-time

Pros

None, seriously there aren't any

Cons

That is the mentality of these morons at Steelcase. They could care less about you or any of their employees. The only ones that they could give 1/2 rat's behind about are the ones in Grand Rapids. Just like more and more businesses the only thing that matters is the bottom dollar. Employees are cattle.

"If you are a "Yes" man, you will fit in just fine"

I worked at Steelcase full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Decent benefits, not much else to brag about

Cons

Top management forces you to work under threat of firing you or doing away with your job. Management is "always" right and you are always wrong, there is no trust. I learned that you cannot trust your immediate boss.

Advice to Management

People in Michigan are not better than people from other states.

9. "Steelcase review"

Former Employee - Material Handler in Kentwood, MI
    Former Employee - Material Handler in Kentwood, MI

I worked at Steelcase full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I can't think of any. Pay is below average, full time employees are treated unfairly. In the 80's the employees were treated with respect and treated as family. Steelcase was good to me back then, but corporate greed took over and destroyed this company.

Cons

Temporary employees are treated better than full time employees. I had 34 years of service and was driven out by temporary employees who mad half as much as I did without benefits.

Advice to Management

you forrgot who got this company to where it is today. Your longtime dedicated, hard working employees. Not temporary employees.

"Steelcase used to be a great place to work, now it is one of the worst"

Current Employee - Machine Operator in Caledonia, MI
    Current Employee - Machine Operator in Caledonia, MI

Pros

Pay is ok
    Production employees are nice
    Benefits are ok, but not great

Cons

Management makes changes only for the sake of making a change.
    They take something so simple as making furniture and complicate it so thy can justify keeping their job.
    Every year our health insurance covers less, but we have to pay more
    After you reach te top of your payscale there is no incentive to do a good job, and it shows
    Very low employee morale
    Our pay has not risen with the cost of living
    Management does not follow company core values
    All experienced employees are leaving company for better companies
    High employee turn around, Steelcase used to be one of the top companies in Michigan to work for, now it just another job until you can find something better.

Advice to Management

Treat the employees like they are important to the company and not just another piece of equipment. Stop changing things that are working and listen to the employees that tell you where changes need to be made. Stop managing with threats of job security...........