Steeplechase Business Solutions Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Management in Training"

Former Employee - Management In Training in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Management In Training in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Steeplechase Business Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great company culture. It is a great atmosphere to walk into everyday. They are definitely a younger company so it was an easy transition right after I graduated. I personally enjoyed the training, because I got to experience each compensation structure: hourly, commission + bonus, and salary. I was super hesitant to even try commission plus bonus structure.. but my coaches assured me that they would make sure I was successful. It took some time.. but I ended up making more on commission than on salary!

They expanded a few months ago, and are planning to again by the end of the year. So they had a ton of new positions opening up when I was there.. seemed promising for sure.

Cons

The "younger company" vibe is both a pro and con. It makes work fun and there is no seniority.. but sometimes organization suffers.

The hours at entry level were completely manageable- 40hrs a week. However, once I got further through my training.. I definitely took on more responsibilities and ended up spending some overtime at the office. It was really just up to me to manage my time better so I could fit the extra work into my days.

I only left because I wanted to go back to grad school, and they couldn't offer tuition reimbursement. As a newer company.. I understood. However, it would've been nice.

Advice to Management

Get more organized on administrative tasks. Also, look into ways to offer tuition reimbursement. It will help give incentive to some of your more seasoned employees to stay.

"An OK Start"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Steeplechase Business Solutions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Gives you skills that are useful throughout every aspect of life, not just your career. Young, enthusiastic environment with over qualified employees.

Cons

This job is structured around a scheme. They claim to be higher level sales and marketing when really it is simply door-to-door sales. Their "Career Development Chart" includes many promising promotions which can only be obtained once you convince 10 other people to do this type of work on your team. They tell you that you will only be in sales for a little while, but you will be in sales until you reach those promotions, and sometimes even beyond then. The oldest person that currently works there is not even 30 and is not even a boss. The job is 100% commission. You will work 65-70 hours a week, and it will still not be enough.

"Steeplechase Review"

Pros

Positive business environment, management seems eager to train and accessible, you get to talk and meet with a lot of interesting people. I learned quite a bit in my short time there. if you are a young kid with a business degree, this might be a better fit for you than someone older. Commission rates are adequate depending on the product.

Cons

commission based pay, long hours, culture could be a little more formal in more than just appearance (you dress up to the office in business professional and then switch into khakis and polos for the field), despite about all the hoopla about it being a management training program in the end you are just selling cable door to door (which the CEOs are selling door to door as well, think about that), more client options would be good, technology that is used for sales is slow and dated and probably cause a loss of a lot of potential commissions. Frankly, I wouldn't mind doing it if it was more part-time than full-time (80% of sales are after 6 pm anyhow it seems), the leads list provided by the client (which was explained as being "pre-qualified") up to a third of the lists are usually empty lots, if you have ethical concerns about selling products to people that probably can't or barely afford it this is probably not the job for you.

"Great company committed to producing quality programming."

Current Employee - Producing Staff in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Producing Staff in New York, NY

I have been working at Steeplechase Business Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

High quality work. Family friendly.

Cons

I can't think of any negatives.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

"Amazing Experience Working with People"

I worked at Steeplechase Business Solutions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I only worked at the company for several months, but I learned more about interacting with people in that time than I did my entire life. Everyone thinks that they are a people person, but most have no idea what that even means. The environment was laid back and eveyone works together as a team for the most part.

Cons

Long hours and tough work. Just like anything dealing with people, some are not the nicest and there is very little I could have done to control that. Management is laid back, but sometimes the environment is too familial and the professional line gets crossed.

Advice to Management

Rules have to be enforced sometimes.

Feb 10, 2015 – President

Thanks for the review. We take a lot of pride in our training program and no their is no substitute for the hands on approach. I believe that 1 year of our program is equivalent to 4 years of... More

"Challenging Job - Decent Experience"

I worked at Steeplechase Business Solutions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Steeplechase has a high energy work environment with enthusiastic coworkers that are motivated to help you succeed. I got the chance to travel and participate in some team and philanthropy events while I was there. The training is pretty good and was continuous throught the entire timke I was there. In order to well here, you always have to be consitently looking for ways to improve. The comission structure is not bad. I was a marketing and business management major, and I definitely got some good experience dealing with customers and building my communication skills. I was able to use my major to some degree as well.

Cons

The work is really challenging. There were days that I spoke to lots of rude customers and that would happen once in a while. Dealing with rejection is something that is not easy for most. The non traditional hours made it difficult to have a social life outside of work. The envrionement sometime got too competetive for me and performance based compensation is not for everyone.

Advice to Management

Sometimes there needs to be some control from management. The managers and leadership cannot always be everyone's friend.

Oct 27, 2014 – President

Thanks for the review. I appreciate the feedback and I'm glad you were able to take something away from your experience here at Steeplechase. We wish you the best of luck on your future career.

"Excellent Leadership Training"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Steeplechase Business Solutions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

In my five month tenure at Steeplechase I have progressed from someone that has never held a position in sales or marketing into a very successful leader of a top sales team. The company cultivates an atmosphere that focuses on personal development and professionalism while maintaining a positive experience.

Cons

The company has high standards for integrity, work ethic and student mentality. Steeplechase has a non-traditional style of work environment that reflects the entrepreneurial spirit of the office.

Advice to Management

Keep raising the bar and challenging people to reach their full potential.

Oct 27, 2014 – President

Thanks for the review. We really appreiciate any feedback and we are glad that you have had a great experience here at Steeplechase so far. We will continue to set the bar high for our employees... More

"Great Growth!"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Pittsburgh, PA

Pros

The reason I love this job so much is mostly because I get to be my own boss and I get to set my limitations! I enjoy being able to grow with this company and meet new and exciting people. The work environment is upbeat and full of energy, there is no way you can have a bad day at work when you walk into Steeplechases doors! I would recommend this job to my best friend... Wait I already did!!! The sky is my limit and I'm aiming for the stars!!!

Cons

Now this job isn't for everyone... Some people don't enjoy that we are 100% commission. I on the other hand love that because I can set my pace for my paycheck! The hours are longer but the end result is much better.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great job Mike!! Also keep bringing in bright, energetic people!!!

Sep 2, 2014 – President

Thanks for the review. Our energetic fast paced work environment encourages positive thinking and problem solving. Keep setting the pace and doing a great job for our clients and yourself.

"No base salary, only commission. Sometimes you come home without a dime."

Former Employee - Marketing Representative in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Marketing Representative in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Steeplechase Business Solutions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Great people in a fun, energetic office
    - Good training from managers with room for growth
    - Young office with great morale.

Cons

- You're only in the office for 2 hours. After that, you're on your own.
    - Good commission, but no base salary. No one wants to walk home with no money after a hard day of work.
    - I was working from 12pm - 9pm. It wasn't too easy to have any social life outside of work.
    - High turnover rate.

Sep 2, 2014 – President

Thanks for the review. We take great pride in the quality of the people on our team and the training we provide. We do work a little bit harder than the average entry level position in order to get... More

"Great Opportunity. Not for everyone"

Pros

Team environment and hands-on training. New employees are really given the necessary tools to be successful and reach their goals. A great deal of room for growth and advancement if you are willing to put the work in.

Cons

The company strives on a performance-based business model (which is only a con depending on the type of employee you are). The harder you work, the more success you see. Not your typical 9 to 5 desk job. Nothing is handed to you. If you are not a goal-oriented/driven person, this is not the place for you.

Advice to Management

Organization could be stronger, but an overall great job at providing opportunity, working hard, and having fun!

Sep 2, 2014 – President

Thanks for the review. Training and coaching are important to any work environment. Performance is prized as a part of our culture, not seniority. Thanks for the kind words and keep having fun.