Stein Eriksen Lodge Reviews | Glassdoor

Russ Olsen

1. "Bellman"

Former Employee - Bellman in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Bellman in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Stein Eriksen Lodge (Less than a year)

Pros

tips were good, got to see famous people, fun people to work with, also go gratuity on top of base pay.

Cons

guest are terrible, management sucks

Advice to Management

Not the best management at least in my department always negative

2. "AM Glitretind Server"

Former Employee - Server in Park City, UT
    Former Employee - Server in Park City, UT

I worked at Stein Eriksen Lodge full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Professional atmosphere with high end customers. Ability to grow as a professional server. Benefits are OK. Free skiing is great! The best part of the job is being at Deer Valley all day, especially the sunrise.

Cons

This place is a micro managed nightmare. Reminds me of Office Space when you have 3-5 managers all telling you the same thing multiple times. They also expect you to work banquets whenever they need you to. Most of the Customers are completely self-absorbed, and very high maintenance but that is just Deer Valley for you.

Advice to Management

Get on the same page with communications to employees.

3. "Interesting Place"

Former Employee - Intern in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Intern in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Stein Eriksen Lodge full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great co workers on Bellstaff. Direct Bell Captain was a really good guy that I could trust. Tips were good however the wages were terrible compared to other hotels near by.

Cons

Poor wages. Upper management had an attitude where they didn't seem to care too much about the workers and they only cared about happiness of guests. certain policies weren't clear.

Advice to Management

Make sure your employees are well compensated and happy. Know that they are watching what you do and they will criticize. Also trust your employees to follow trainings. It seemed when someone important was around you didn't think we were capable.

"Great company"

Current Employee - Bellman in Park City, UT
    Current Employee - Bellman in Park City, UT

Pros

Wonderful company to work for. They really try to promote from within, generous ski benefits, and many employee appreciation events. Expectations are high for job performance, but they also show appreciation when a job is well done.

Cons

The pay is lower than most other hotels in the area. They try to make up for with other benefits, but if they want to provide the best service and be the best hotel in Park City, they should pay the best.

"I felt like a member of the family."

Current Employee - Front Desk Supervisor in Park City, UT
    Current Employee - Front Desk Supervisor in Park City, UT

I have been working at Stein Eriksen Lodge full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have really enjoyed working for this company. They operate as a tight-knit family, focused on high standards of service. They do what they can to make you feel important.

Cons

Despite the wonderful work environment and reputation, this hotel pays surprisingly low wages across the board.

Advice to Management

Just because you can staff the hotel while paying less doesn't mean you should.

"Stein Eriksen Lodge is my family"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Park City, UT
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Park City, UT

I have been working at Stein Eriksen Lodge full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

This amazing independent hotel has achieved service excellence that exceeds larger brands. As Utah's only Forbes 5-Star & AAA 5-Diamond, Stein Eriksen Lodge treats its team members like family and has shown great loyalty to it's tenured staff that often times supersedes clear cut business decisions. As an example, I was amazed to see after peak season bonuses handed out even when the financial targets didn't quite make the mark. I've been a part of large brands that haven't paid a bonus since before the recession hit. They have a monthly Appreciation Day, Quarterly Team Member 5-Star Recognition, outings to Lagoon Day for the entire family, Ski Season passes, End of Season Parties, great benefits and so much more. I am proud to be a Stein Eriksen Lodge team member and can honestly say that this is the best company to work for in Utah.

Cons

I hope they open up more hotels. However, they are part of Preferred Hotel Group which offers employee rates at hotels around the world.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. Thank you for always being willing to do anything and everything for our guests and your employees

"Great place for a vacation, not to work."

Current Employee - Group Coordinator in Park City, UT
    Current Employee - Group Coordinator in Park City, UT

I have been working at Stein Eriksen Lodge full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

My coworkers in my department are all great to work with and I enjoy working with them. Free lunch and dinner are provided on the premises for all employees in the cantine. The lodge is an amazing piece of property with excellent views and I relish any time I get to spend outside.

Cons

The overall culture of Stein Eriksen Lodge is one that favors the management and disregards the lower level employees. For the most part, management seems to be out of touch with the rest of their employees and unwilling to implement proposed changes to improve the culture of the company. It seems that management talks about the "team" aspect of the company and how all of us should be "teammates" just because they think it sounds like the right thing to say, but when it comes down to it, they are just words that management doesn't care to act on. The company has "team member appreciation" days once a month where they cook a "special" meal and management is supposed to go mingle amongst the employees, take their plates for them when they are through, etc... At the most recent iteration of the event all the CEO did was sit at a table secluded from all the other employees and talk to one of his other upper management friends the entire time he was there. Not once did he even acknowledge me, much less offer any assistance with my plates.

Advice to Management

Stop pretending to care and actually show some appreciation or just stop talking so much about how much you care. Either way is fine, but don't try and tell me you care about us little employees when you clearly don't even give us a second thought.

9. "Fun atmosphere, great benefits."

I worked at Stein Eriksen Lodge full-time

Pros

Amazing benefits including ski pass reimbursement, fantastic health insurance, fun work environment.

Cons

Pay isn't the best, but they can get away with it because its a great resume-builder. Forbes 5 Star, AAA 5 Diamond property and all...

10. "Terrible Pay & Terrible "Benefits""

I worked at Stein Eriksen Lodge full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The history Stein Eriksen Lodge has in the luxury ski indrustry.

Cons

Wages. You can't afford to live in Park City if you work here. You would need multi jobs. Medical benifits are terrible. Until you reach your out of pocket expense you are responsible for 100%.

Advice to Management

Stein Eriksen Lodge pays 30% lower than their competition. You want five star service, you need to pay better to keep the quality staff there.

"A great property with better than most staff benefits, beautiful location if you can get outside!"

I worked at Stein Eriksen Lodge full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Goal oriented team, everyone motivated and seeking excellence. Good staff cafeteria and food selection. Nice uniforms, good chances for good guest tips. Classy place to work.

Cons

Tough work load, not enough staff, operations team is all underground with NO windows or chance to go outside. Lunch break is not long enough to run an errand off site if needed... traffic jam down the mine road to the freeway can be terrible. Must have a reliable 4X4 or have an hour to commute via free city bus. Many clients are very rude and treat you like dirt...

Advice to Management

Employ more skilled staff so high standards can be maintained. Offer better personnel management training to supervisors and department managers. Good staff is in high demand with St Regis, Montage, and others, so treat them better and be more competitive with benefits and salary.