Steiner Electric Reviews | Glassdoor

Richard A. Kerman

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Sales"

I have been working at Steiner Electric full-time

Pros

Great sales team and sales people

Cons

A lot of change going on right now.

Advice to Management

Be more transparent with your plans.

Sep 25, 2017 – VP HR

Good advice. Change is about making improvements. We will continue to make improvements to better address the changing needs of our customers, suppliers, employees and the communities we serve.

"smoke and mirrors"

I worked at Steiner Electric full-time

Pros

The entire team is always very excited to have you join their team. Appears to be open to change and improve process .....and then....the old college buddies get together and squash every idea brought up that wasn't their idea. In other words - there are no PROS to working at this company.

Cons

Expect to work a bazillion hours, expect no raises, be willing to watch Senior Management promote their favorites and dehumanize the people they don't like, expect to be talked about behind your back, don't ever think you could possibly manage your daily tasks without being 100% micromanaged and criticized for choices you make. Be ready to work with people who are actually - HORRIBLE TO WORK WITH and will cut your throat the minute you aren't looking. Terrible, terrible, terrible place!! THE END!!

Advice to Management

Too much to list!

Sep 25, 2017 – VP HR

We are sorry and understand that your work at Steiner has not met your expectations. We accept that perceptions of a given situation may differ based on a person’s expectations and experience. We... More

"STAY AWAY"

Current Employee - Sales in Elk Grove Village, IL
    Current Employee - Sales in Elk Grove Village, IL

I have been working at Steiner Electric full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

First, let me say that I had been excited to join Steiner almost 7 years ago. Family run.

Cons

This is one of the worst companies I have ever worked for. Don't ever expect a raise. I am aware of several fellow employees who have worked here for 10 years or more that have never received an increase. Expect to do 2 or more jobs and not get paid for one. Rarely ever replace vacant positions. Cheaper to pass it off to someone already swamped with work. People who have been with the company for decades are now looking to get out.

Advice to Management

Get your act together. Pay your employees and treat them right. Stock everyday materials.

Sep 25, 2017 – VP HR

Entering into its 101st year, Steiner has always taken the views and suggestions of its team members to heart. While our market remains highly competitive, we know that we are uniquely positioned to... More

"Working Towards a Better Future"

I worked at Steiner Electric full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Steiner has a very optimistic and passionate executive team that are working to make the future of the company as good or better than their greatest years. And that says a lot more than many are willing to give credit for. Steiner is in and has been in, a period of major change. This has been going on for quite a while and for many who have been with the company for a long time, it has been hard to understand. Those people tend to only remember the best part of their earlier years and the worst part of their later years and end up submitting some pretty negative take-aways on a site like this. It should all be taken with a grain of salt. Steiner is a place you should consider for employment if you want to join a passionate team and make a difference. And that is the type of employee Steiner needs. If you are looking to "just get by" or "just make a living", there are probably better places to be. But if you put all you have into your work, you will be able to see where Steiner excels as a company. There cannot be many companies of this size where you can talk directly with the CEO or the Executive VP and give constructive ideas that are actually heard. They really do care. In reality, Steiner is a family.

Cons

Families argue and have differences. - It's a long road to get the company where it wants to be. But it gets closer all of the time. For all the pros I have listed, someone else could say that they had the exact opposite experience. But that is simply the reality of life. No company is perfect and certainly neither is any employee. And when you feel like it's a family, these are harder realities to deal with. And that is really where the downside of Steiner comes in. It is going to take a lot of time to help spread the message of what the main objective is to the average employee. The years of experience tend to wash away the "now". - As an employee, you have to remember all the positive things that you can get from Steiner that you can't get elsewhere and then you have to have remind the people around you instead of letting them drag you down to their negative perceptions.

Advice to Management

Keep working hard toward the goal, but never forget about the importance of all the little things each employee brings to the company. How those things are recognized and compensated for is what will keep people happy enough to keep performing their best.

Sep 25, 2017 – VP HR

Thank you for sharing your perspective.

"High performance and high values, not for everyone!"

I have been working at Steiner Electric full-time

Pros

Steiner's history and commitment to long-standing values as northern Illinois largest electrical supplier, enables the company to remain strong, and attract / retain the best talent. Amazing things are happening!

Cons

Family values are being challenged by industry changes and need for performance. Unfortunately, the high standards of performance, integrated with values, is not for everyone.

Advice to Management

Over communicate changes, successes, and yes, even failures to employees every day! (Guess what? They already know - communication only shows employees that management knows too!)

Apr 20, 2017 – VP HR

Thank you! Glad you are seeing "amazing things". Our values are being challenged but the core Steiner values are not changing. We are changing how we do things, but not who we are... More

"Long-time Employee Experience"

I have been working at Steiner Electric full-time

Pros

I currently work at Steiner and have for over 20 years. I have seen how the company and management have operated in every imaginable circumstance from dramatic swings in the economy, to major market shifts and threats. I have also witnessed how I was managed through significant events in my personal life. What I have seen is a consistent pattern in making decisions that are best for the long-term benefit of the company. And I have seen decisions consistently made for the benefit of the individuals who work for Steiner. Passion and compassion. These words sum up the personality of the company, which comes directly from the vison and leadership of the CEO.
    Many things change in an organization over time. Without change, a company cannot stay relevant in a constantly changing marketplace. Steiner is a company that views change as opportunity. It is exciting to work for a company that has thrived for 100 years. Seeking creative ways to refine the business and market strategy creates a challenging and stimulating working environment. Management has a structure that makes sure that company strategy is communicated throughout the organization and this gives each employee the chance to create personal goals that can contribute directly to the larger company goals. This gives us a great sense of purpose and meaning to our jobs.

Cons

The distribution industry is undergoing many changes brought on by new types of competitors, new technologies, and changing customer expectations. If you are looking for a stable business landscape and you are not of for the challenge of being innovative and creative, then this company and this industry may not be for you.

Advice to Management

Continue to share the company vision and strategy with employees. This is working well.
    Keep focusing on employee engagement as you have. Your staff continues to have many of the answers -- keep seeking their ideas and contributions.

Apr 13, 2017 – VP HR

Thanks for your comments and for your commitment to Steiner. We have been around 100+ years. The probability of a family business reaching the centurion milestone is one company for every... More

"If you're not willing to change, how can you expect to get better?"

I have been working at Steiner Electric full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I've worked at Steiner for many years and I've seen people come and go, but I can honestly say I have never witnessed any discrimination. In fact, in my opinion, it's quite the opposite. We have a diverse group of outstanding individuals at Steiner which includes the CEO, Executive Team, Managers and other employees which helps create a great family atmosphere.

About 3 years ago Steiner developed a focus on improvements with internal processes and employee training. The purpose is to become more efficient at what we do so we can provide the best possible customer experience. Yes... all companies want to improve profits, but with a changing market and economy, many companies have implemented the same type of training so they can stay competitive.

Steiner has recently improved benefits and has an outstanding PTO program. They have worked hard at keeping health care costs down and have absorbed a good portion of the recent increases that are effecting the nation.

Steiner is a privately-held family-owned business where the CEO continuously reinvests profits back into the company. Clearly his main focus is providing a stable work environment for the employees while delivering outstanding products to his customers. This in turn creates impeccable relationships with customers and suppliers. As far as I'm concerned, this demonstrates an uncompromising commitment to the success of Steiner.

Cons

The truth is you can't please all of the people all of the time. Unfortunately, I have seen plenty of negative feedback on this site which is why I felt compelled to leave my opinion. If you are considering Steiner as a potential employer, hopefully this will give you a more balanced perspective of Steiner. Steiner's not perfect, but I'm not aware of any company that is and I've seen plenty of solution based ideas implemented over the years that have made a positive difference.

Advice to Management

Identify what has worked really well over the past 3 years and build on it. Scrap the things that are not. Reduce employee stress and focus on team building. Unify all departments, divisions and branches together so they all know they are on the same winning team. Boost employee morale by creating a fun and exciting program that benefits everyone financially.

Apr 13, 2017 – VP HR

Thank you for taking the time to express yourself and for your contributions to the Steiner team.

"The good, the bad and the extremely disfunctional"

I worked at Steiner Electric full-time

Pros

Seek and you will find employment and experience that you can use later in your career

Cons

Yes you will find employment and experience.
    However the experience you will gain will have to be driven by your own motivation and aggressiveness to learn, because there is NO structured training or guidance. Quite a few of the employees are also not interested in training, because there is no incentive. Managers do not have the time as well as the capability/skill to train.
    The training is extremely overwhelming, because there is so much to learn. They sell well over 500 different suppliers products. Each supplier can sell up to as many as 1000 different items. Each supplier has their own part number system in which you'll have to teach yourself. Some product lines are simple while others are very technical and complicated. There are also several divisions in which you're expected to fully understand despite their level of difficulty.
    They promote from within, so if you can get a job in the warehouse processing orders, you have a chance to work at the will call counter where you will learn more from the customers (and being self taught) then their "training course."
    The CEO is an egocentric, pompous, sexist, chauvanistic know it all. He thinks he is God's gift to the industry. When in fact he will probably run the company into the ground before his son can take it off his hands.
    The executive team is extremely frustrated with his lack of business knowledge, experience, his willingness to take advice from others who know better.
    Several executives and key managers have willingly left the company because of him.

Advice to Management

Get out while you can

Apr 13, 2017 – VP HR

Thank you for your comment and sorry for the delay in responding. We've made a number of changes in training and will be making more in the near future. We've made a significant investment in... More

"Such a shame"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Elk Grove Village, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Elk Grove Village, IL

I worked at Steiner Electric full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

USED TO BE A GOOD PLACE TO WORK

Cons

I have given Steiner 15 years of loyalty and had the opportunity to advance (slowly). The recent change in management has alienated and confused long time employees, the average tenure at Steiner used to be 15 to 20 years. Now it's going down 8-10, not because people are retiring but because their leaving or worst had their positions "eliminated ". I used to love this company but I really never understood why it became so greedy and cheap. In my 15 year I alway had an outstanding performance review but no raises fo 5-6 years (yikes) was too much for me to bear. Their is definitely a lot of favoritism going on. The current CEO/Owner should be ashamed of what's happening, if the previous CEO's could see how the employees are being treated I sure they will disagree. Good luck to the people still working there, and to all looking to work there I strongly advise to look elsewhere. If Steiner's customers knew how they treat people I seriously doubt if they will continue to do business with them.

Advice to Management

You should go call back all the good people that left and had their positions mysteriously "eliminated" pay them competitively and you would have a winning team that know your business and the industry. These are the people who contributed a significant portion of their career life to get you 100 years! They should be rewarded not eliminated.

Apr 13, 2017 – VP HR

We are sorry that you have had this experience. Please reach out to your manager or send a note back at HumanResources@stnr.com. We would like to understand your experience and perception of the... More

"PAYCHECK"

I have been working at Steiner Electric full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

There is plenty of work to do.
    Vacation time.
    Good as a transitional job from small firms to a larger employer.

Cons

Lack of training in over complicated procedures for entry level jobs.

Advice to Management

The plan to drive your high performers to their limits has reached its logical conclusion. High performers will start finding new jobs in this current market and offering more money to stay will no longer work. Improved job titles may delay transition. Team building in the lighting department is needed.

Apr 13, 2017 – VP HR

Thanks for taking the time to express your opinion. We've made a number of recent investments in the area of training. Please reach out to your manager or HR so we can address your specific concern.... More