Steiner Leisure Reviews | Glassdoor

5.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Steiner Leisure President, CEO, and Director Leonard I. Fluxman
Leonard I. Fluxman

"great learning and character building experience with a very well known spa company that can lead to land based spa jobs"

Former Employee - SPA Manager in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - SPA Manager in Miami, FL

I worked at Steiner Leisure full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

very good way to see the world, meet a lot of people from different cultural backgrounds, good remuneration if you can sell products and yourself for treatment bookings

Cons

very long hours of work, often 11 hour-12 hour days, five and a half days a week, selling is an integral part of the job and this will dictate if you succeed in the company not your skill at beauty hair or fitness

Advice to Management

more frequent proactive reviews of individual staff to analysis potential candidates for promotion and also taking into account that staff who may not be able to sell a lot may still have great potential to lead a team. more information to staff and what it is to live and work on ships for steiner, positive and negatives...

2. "it was a great opportunity to be a part of a well respected company."

Current Contractor - SPA Therapist in Miami, FL
    Current Contractor - SPA Therapist in Miami, FL

I have been working at Steiner Leisure as a contractor (More than 5 years)

Pros

earning much to support my family needs,and a pleasure to travel around the world for free,meeting people from different places all over the world is a great things to treasure,all my life...

Cons

to work with people from diffrent countries,nationalities is hard to adjust,especially people working with negative attitude...

Advice to Management

moral values,ethical conduct is so important to every employee,to enhance the standard of quality service to each and every clientile

3. ""Travel the world, make money, do acupuncture" (without any overhead)"

Former Contractor - Acupuncturist
    Former Contractor - Acupuncturist

I worked at Steiner Leisure as a contractor (More than 5 years)

Pros

As an acupuncturist straight out of school who was not independently wealthy, I quickly became aware of the lack of job prospects and massive student loans. Steiner's job posting advertised, "Travel the world, make money, do acupuncture", I submitted my application and in a month, I was in Australia boarding my first ship.
    Working onboard has many perks for acupuncturists:
    - Captive, older clientele, who are seeking pain solutions and interested in trying something new.
    - A revolving patient base and the ability to see up 20+ clients a day, with a new flood of patients regularly (amazing professional experience. You get thousands of new cases in a contract).
    - No competition from other alternative healthcare providers.
    - No dealing with insurance.
    - All resources are provided and absolutely no overhead.
    - A competitive, commission based pay structure. Some months, you can be the most highly paid person on the ship.
    - No living expenses and what you make is what you save. Room and board, meals, laundry and cleaning service included. Spa services are traded for. It can spoil you.
    - Officer status and free run of the ship.
    - Days off are in places like Greece and Tahiti (at least 1.5 days a week).
    - All the money you make you save, and when you come out, you are an experienced, seasoned acupuncturist with the marketing, networking, public relations and clinical experience needed to launch your private practice. It's like that residency program that we all want when we left school.

Cons

Before you take this job, search your soul. When you take this job, be open minded and flexible.

- You live inside a corporation, which means there are lots of rules to follow 24/7. Your friends are your co-workers, and the title, "Acupuncturist", becomes your identity.
    - Most Spa Managers are younger and less experienced than we are and life can be hard if you don't get along. They do have authority though, and can make life difficult if you challenge them. The trick is to do a good job and treat your Spa Managers with respect. Listen and understand their struggles and support them where you can.
    - Commission based pay structure can be difficult on some ships and on some itineraries.
    - Communication with everyone in your land life becomes difficult and expensive.
    - Contracts are at least 7 months, and can seem like a million years.
    - Social life revolves around the crew bar scene for most. You can get around this by focusing on port activities.
    - After a few consecutive contracts, it becomes hard to imagine life on land.
    - It makes your world much bigger, which makes it harder to settle down in a place like Chicago when you have experienced places like Copenhagen and Auckland.

Advice to Management

Perhaps a resilience and personality inventory should be done prior to employment to screen out people who will clearly not succeed in the fast-pace, high stress, corporate and sometimes restrictive environment. New seminars should be introduced occasionally highlighting current research. Targets would be more achievable if cruise demographics, such as departure port, day of week and average price per ticket were taken into account. A burnout hotline would have been helpful at certain points of my career. All in all, I am complementary of the management.

5. "Fitness Director"

Pros

The salary system changed already but if you are not a fan of commission based salary than you will find it hard.

Cons

Commission based salary. If you are motivated and love what you do it is a great way to make money while helping the customers to find their favorite treatments.

6. "Miss"

Former Employee - SPA Therapist in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - SPA Therapist in London, England (UK)

I worked at Steiner Leisure full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

To go different places meet different peoples and learn from them expand my knowledge and skills and motivate my self to do more and make the best out of it.

Cons

None that I know.. I will never go for a job if I don't love my job.

Advice to Management

I am a very flexible and hardworking person and can stand to work for long hours. In addition I work as a therapist on princess cruises for 3 contracts and I can say that I am well knowledgeable of my profession and skills.

7. "Spa Therapist"

Current Contractor - SPA Therapist in Mactan, Province of Cebu (Philippines)
    Current Contractor - SPA Therapist in Mactan, Province of Cebu (Philippines)

I have been working at Steiner Leisure as a contractor (More than 5 years)

Pros

A great experienced to work with a multi cultural team and clients.
    A great opportunity to travel all around the world.

Cons

Less time to spend outside when we dock or time off.

Advice to Management

Just wanted career advance growth