Steiner Leisure Reviews | Glassdoor

Steiner Leisure President, CEO, and Director Leonard I. Fluxman
Leonard I. Fluxman

1. "Senior Manager"

I have been working at Steiner Leisure full-time

Pros

A focused company who is a leader in their industry. Strong financial background. Well respected product lines like Bliss and Mandara.

Cons

The CIO and IT department had too much red tape, and could not deliver projects on time. Could improve communication between various internal business partners to achieve savings, and eliminate duplicate work.

2. "massage therapist"

Pros

travel different ports and places for free,tax free,free accommodation and free food.

Cons

mandatory retail and targets every week.

Advice to Management

other ways to get revenue besides mandatory retail

3. "Beware"

Former Employee - SPA Concierge
    Former Employee - SPA Concierge

I worked at Steiner Leisure full-time

Pros

You can travel a lot, know interesting people, have a different experience.

Cons

They abuse you, force you to sell with menaces to drop you off your contract.

Advice to Management

Care moré for your employees.

5. "Instructor"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Steiner Leisure part-time

Pros

Co-workers are friendly and work as a Team.

Cons

No raises given but required to complete annual performance reviews. No benefits.
    No opportunities to advance your career. High turnover.
    Outdated systems. Good employees are not valued by this company.

Advice to Management

Communication is very important. Invest in your employees so they will continue to stay with the company.

6. "Scam and False Expectations"

Former Employee - Beauty Therapist and Skincare Specialist in London, England (UK)

Pros

The only positive is that you get to see different places around the world. My cruise only had 6 ports for the full contract so I saw 6 islands.

Cons

I feel like I was tricked in to this company. I originally started the process of joining Steiner when they visited my college and told us "all the details" of the job. I then went to an interview where we were told more information but very little given in writing despite numerous questions. Once I got the job, loads of money was spent on training fees, visa, medical, training uniform etc. Once at training, I was trained for 3 weeks and sent to my ship in the Caribbean. I had to pay for a hotel before joining the ship even though I was told it would be paid by Steiner. Once joining the ship, I worked ridiculously long hours with hardly any footfall in the spa and therefore no money. Every treatment had some sort of discount. Working 14 hour days and no pay some days, 50 cents others and a maximum of $40 on a "busy sea day", it was really not as great as it had been made out to be. I still haven't received my gratuities which are apparently included in your minimum salary. I worked on reception for hours with no pay?! We got 2 half days off a week in the middle of a working day so still early rises and late finishes. On board, the hygiene levels of the spa were disgusting. We had an insufficient number of towels and mitts, so we had to wash them in our sinks and reuse them. I was also forced to perform treatments I was not insured to do, including hot stones (not even qualified in), waxing and specialised facials. When I eventually resigned, it took three days for manager to formally get paperwork together. Nobody from head office had time or cared to speak with me about my concerns. After over £2000 of outgoings and still waiting to be paid by Steiner, I bought my flights home and left. STAY CLEAR OF THIS SCAMMING COMPANY.

Advice to Management

Stop lying to get people to work for this company. People give up so much and spend so much to do this and yet get a completely false reality. Also, train your managers better. Really bad management.

7. "this company is demn"

Pros

steiner isnt good compnay they dont care of staff they just need to get high revenue

Cons

terrible comoany u can see how terrible at a school in london

Advice to Management

terrible management this company put staff to get money from guest .dont matter how to get money they think and tell

8. "Miss"

Former Employee - SPA Therapist in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - SPA Therapist in London, England (UK)

I worked at Steiner Leisure full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

To go different places meet different peoples and learn from them expand my knowledge and skills and motivate my self to do more and make the best out of it.

Cons

None that I know.. I will never go for a job if I don't love my job.

Advice to Management

I am a very flexible and hardworking person and can stand to work for long hours. In addition I work as a therapist on princess cruises for 3 contracts and I can say that I am well knowledgeable of my profession and skills.

9. "Work in a vessel for Steiner as Hairstylist"

Former Employee - Hairdresser
    Former Employee - Hairdresser

I worked at Steiner Leisure full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Life Abroad.
    - You see lots of places from different countries.
    - You will meet people from all around the globe.

Cons

- Bad paid (The minimal salary is crappy. You depend on the commission to make real money. This commission is the least you'll see during your life BTW).
    - You work as a seller. that means that you will be promoting a lot around the ship rather than do your real job which is just the 10% of the job. Therefore if you are not a good seller, forget about getting real money.
    - Working hours:14h per day, 7 days per week with 3 seven-hour-periods of time off.
    - Do NOT expect a good quality about the food.
    - Cruise target, retail target...This is about the money you need to do per cruise. If you don't reach your target you are likely to get in trouble.
    - Taxes: Apart from get a basic crappy salary. Some taxes are removed from there with no reason. Who removes this money from your salary? Cruise Company, The government that the cruise company belongs and Steiner for sure. This is NOT IN THE CONTRACT.
    - They tell you that your stay in the ship is for free and the food as well...LIE. They remove from your salary an amount each day because of that. this is NOT IN THE CONTRACT as well...

10. "Personal Trainer"

Former Employee - Personal Trainer in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Personal Trainer in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Steiner Leisure (Less than a year)

Pros

Great opportunity to travel the world.

Cons

Long hours worked. pay rate commission only and no bonuses

Advice to Management

More time off to employees to incentives sales.

11. "OK Place to work."

Pros

Good pay, benefits, competent manager

Cons

more life/work balance, that is all