Steinhafels Reviews | Glassdoor

Gary Steinhafel

1. "Fantastic"

Former Employee - Slales in Vernon Hills, IL
    Former Employee - Slales in Vernon Hills, IL

I worked at Steinhafels part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fantastic and easy coworkers and management. The pay is great if you work hard. Overall the work environment is relaxing and friendly. Your hard work will be noticed and complimented! (Big one for me)

Cons

Sales competition can make working with others tense at times. There is A LOT of information to memorize, especially if you want to be any good. Always working on weekends gets old. (Like any sales job)

Advice to Management

No, I was the youngest employee at the time and I surprisingly agreed with the way everything ran. A very smooth running store

2. "Nice Company!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waukesha, WI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waukesha, WI

I worked at Steinhafels full-time

Pros

Pay and benefits are very good, office is beautiful, not a lot of stress with the job, and everything was easy going.

Cons

The owners are never on the same page with things so at times it was hard to know what to do and who to listen to.

Advice to Management

Get more on the same page.

3. "Great people great environment"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Steinhafels part-time (More than a year)

Pros

lunch on the weekends, laid back, great co workers and management.

Cons

if you don't sell you don't eat.

5. "sales professional"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Appleton, WI
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Appleton, WI

I have been working at Steinhafels full-time (More than a year)

Pros

II left a smaller family owned furniture store. Moving to Steinhafels was the best move ever. I was able to almost double my income My first year. This is a family owned business for 81 years. The owners are involved in the business, and even know you by name. They are financially prudent, respectful of employees, and know how to run a top notch furniture company. The stores are clean, and the quality and selection are the best. Great quality and guaranteed best price. Great customer service after the sale. You will be working at a store, and for a company you can be proud of. Income possibility is in your hands. If you are determined, customer friendly, and willing to give your best every single day, you can write your own paycheck. Steinhafels gives back to the community in a big way, and I love that!

Cons

Some would say have to work weekends. However, if you are choosing retail, and you are driven, you wouldn't want to miss weekends as they are the busy times. I've also never had any problem getting time off when I needed it.

Advice to Management

In comparison to other furniture stores, I can say that you do it best. Great place to work.

Steinhafels Response

Apr 21, 2016 – Recruiting Manager

Thank you for taking the time to share your positive experience. We take a lot of pride in our close-knit culture, even as we continue to grow. We appreciate your commitment to the Steinhafels ... More

6. "Warehouse Worker"

Current Employee - Warehouse Worker in Appleton, WI
    Current Employee - Warehouse Worker in Appleton, WI

I have been working at Steinhafels part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I like that it's a physical and hands-on job.

Cons

I rather be doing something I love.

Advice to Management

Needs a little better organization.

"Went from great to horrible as soon as Management Changed"

Current Employee - Warehouse Employee in Waukesha, WI
    Current Employee - Warehouse Employee in Waukesha, WI

I have been working at Steinhafels full-time

Pros

When I started this job, I loved everything about this company from the handling of customers to the product delivery. They are always hiring (pro) I guess? Management is so disorganized you can get away with murder.. (pro)? They do have a basketball court, a walking trail and tennis court - however none of this is being maintained anymore due to the departure of the previous director. They buy pizza, which seems to be their answer to everything. They currently offer a max 30 cent raise for warehouse workers, after your first 90 days and then again on one year. Theres health insurance, a lousy 401k and PTO

Cons

I have 10 managers. These people have never heard the phrase "too many cooks spoil the broth" Seriously, you can get 10 different answers to one question from every manager! The place is literally falling apart, maintenance requests have been ignored for several months. Your co workers will be treated differently than you and every single instance lacks consistancy. AKA they will write you up and let your co-worker get away with the same thing they write you up for. Everything is a number to these people, and so are you. The furniture we sell isn't even fit to sit on, let alone set your coffee cup on. con: we now make money off of furniture damage returns! con: they are requiring us to work all holidays now due to the "busy work load" con: they are not allowing people to transfer into higher positions due to a lack of staff! So if you apply for a better job, they'll ensure that you don't get it! Because if you do, they will lose a person in their department. con: you will have to work here ten years to make survival, but not quite a living. con: your lack of maintenance and care has injured our workforce, several times now. My co workers are all in pain and hurting. con: your "health insurance plan" covers part of an eye exam, but if you want glasses coverage you must buy dental - which covers vision. Have fun using your "benefits" con: Human resources is incompetent and doesn't communicate effectively, which I thought was their job????

Advice to Management

First fire the director, then fire the person under him and get rid of about four managers. Actually enforce your policies and dictate them clearly. Maintain your property, your vendors have told me the place is falling apart!!!!! Screen candidates better, I have been working with several drug addicts lately! You are making over 500 million dollars a year, you owe us all a raise.

8. "Great place to spend your working life"

Former Employee - Corporate in Waukesha, WI
    Former Employee - Corporate in Waukesha, WI

I worked at Steinhafels full-time

Pros

The atmosphere is very family friendly. Beautiful buildings, nice benefits. For the most part, everyone in the office is very helpful and open to new ideas and suggestions.

Cons

Limited growth in certain areas.

"Times are a changin'"

Former Employee - Sales in Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Sales in Madison, WI

I worked at Steinhafels part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Growing company and a market leader, good policies that makes selling easier, good advertising to drive traffic, 401k match and profit sharing, competitive commission pay, and ok insurance plans.

Cons

Company has stated values that it doesn't live by, minimum standards for production increased by decent intervals each of the last 3-4 years causing a stressful environment that is very cut throat. Treatment of sales staff is not consistent and rules are not clearly laid out; not that rules matter as long as the sale is made mentality.

10. "Good company, poorly handled mattress stores"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Steinhafels full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits
    Starting pay plus commission
    Excellent training
    Great coworkers

Cons

Fluctuating MONTHLY goals
    Goals not based on customer traffic
    Sales, management, and department heads only want to communicate through email

Advice to Management

Don't treat the mattress store employees as sub-human... It's understandable that the purpose is to drive business to the main stores, but when it felt like no one cared about the mattress stores.

"Have to swim with the sharks."

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Vernon Hills, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Vernon Hills, IL

I have been working at Steinhafels full-time

Pros

Beautiful store with a huge selection of furniture.

Cons

They do not live by their value of integrity. The sales floor is not well-managed, and some dishonest associates are allowed to thrive and prosper. Those who live by the rules do not benefit from it.

Advice to Management

Use common sense in hiring and firing. Don't hire someone who clearly cannot learn the computer system, and don't fire a hard-worker who knows the job and is in a slump on ONE of the many goals required.