Stella & Dot Reviews | Glassdoor

3.1
Jessica Herrin

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • The work/life balance - for my particular position, at least - was not good (in 10 reviews)

• The biggest problem with the company is that no one is actually empowered to do their job (in 11 reviews)

1. "Sales"

I have been working at Stella & Dot full-time

Pros

Start Up, Fast Pace, Career Growth opportunities

Cons

Work Hard but worth it

Advice to Management

Continue to listen to the teams

2. "Delight Associate"

Current Employee - Delight Associate in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Delight Associate in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Stella & Dot full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you are looking for an entry level or customer service position this is for you

Cons

No opportunity for advancement, no growth or learning new challenges,

Advice to Management

Change things up for the agents so they are not doing the same thing daily, don't show favoritism

"Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Stella & Dot (More than a year)

Pros

loved the peopel that worked there.

Cons

very chaotic environment, always switching plans and can't stick to anything. Need to invest more in data systems versus try to do everything manually.

Advice to Management

trust your employees more!

Aug 14, 2017

Thank you for your review and sorry to see you go!

"Don't Do it"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brisbane, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brisbane, CA

I have been working at Stella & Dot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I am in Home Office - if you are on a good team, then it is better. The space is pretty, and the equipment is good. Work Life balance is good, if you are on a good team.

Cons

Many of the VPs don't care about their people. The C Level culture is mean girl. The CEO doesn't know how to hide her crazy and is incredibly awkward about sensitive issues.

Advice to Management

people first. get straight. live the values, don't make them a snide joke the way they are now.

Aug 14, 2017

Thank you for your review. Please know that the People Team is there if you would like to discuss this or any other issues further: hr@stelladot.com

"Honest Feedback"

I have been working at Stella & Dot full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Company is comprised of hard working individuals who are extremely passionate about what they do. We have done wonderful things for communities through foundations, IBO's and our own employees giving back. It is exciting to be part of a growing company that has allowed me use my knowledge to help build my department. I am proud to see how far we have come.

Cons

As the company matures, compensation will need to be addressed throughout the organization, not just in certain pockets. A better plan needs to be put in place for career growth and for internal training. A plan that is not just discussed but actually executed on. Money has to be spent in this area to retain/grow talent. Flexible work arrangements and other company perks need to be reassessed and matched company wide. Execs need to support and build trust in their teams to execute tasks- allow employees to do what they were hired to do without micro management. If you find yourself overseeing/redlining so much, perhaps don't hire a person for that role and take on the task yourself. It creates a lot of frustration when people feel their work is constantly retooled. Be timely with performance feedback- and be honest. Peers should be doing the same with each other as well.

Advice to Management

It is time to take stock of the employee side of the business, not just the IBO side. Show employees you are willing to invest in them - training, flex schedules, benefits, proper staffing and equality across sites. Create a recognition program that is more then once a year, offer a way for managers to reward employees, etc. We know the bottom line is important, but at times it seems we are too caught up to recognize/celebrate the great things we have accomplished. Let's live in the moment more!

Aug 14, 2017

Thank you for your review. Have you looked into joining the Think Tank where you can share your ideas and help make a difference in the company's culture? If the Think Tank is not for you, the People... More

6. "Great Culture"

I have been working at Stella & Dot full-time

Pros

Perks, benefits, great setting, nice floor plan, great culture, team players

Cons

healthcare plan is not the best

7. "Average"

I have been working at Stella & Dot full-time

Pros

Nice office and good colleagues

Cons

very high rate of turnover

"OK place to work but not for everyone"

Pros

Snacks and coffee provided, leadership team seems to be strong for business

Cons

I'm a current employee who is leaving the company. I'll give them this- the leadership team seems like they're going to be great for the business, but culture is horrible. There is a silent "no work from home" policy, which isn't communicated at all levels of the organization, I guess. It seems like some teams and people are allowed to do it and some aren't. I think the awkwardness is coming from the top because there are no hard-and fast rules, it's just up to whatever the CEO says or feels like she wants. It also fluctuates. Being in the bay area, you just can't have a no-work-from home policy or any flexibility in that regard.
    I don't know why the VP of HR left (or was asked to leave) but HR is a revolving door- since I've been there. As far as company policies are concerned, I don't think they have much in place even though they have been around for years. Last week, they had a party with jars filled with condoms and a board with some stuff from Tinder on it- it was very inappropriate and employees felt offended. It was some theme I think, but the whole thing was to launch a sunscreen. I'm not sure where HR was or if they knew this was happening, because I think that's a strange type of thing to allow, especially when there is alcohol. Not many people attended the party.. and I'm sure it was because it was just mainly taste-less and inappropriate. I'm sure it was awkward for the men because there were bananas labeled "small" "medium" and "large" next to the jars of condoms. I'm not sure what exactly was the message they were trying to send with this whole thing. I also think they need to reconsider serving alcohol at work because a lot of people drive to work because there are limited options for public transportation. I also think managers need to be trained and taught how to communicate and motivate their teams.

Advice to Management

Be more willing to listen, stop making policies that don't make sense for the Bay Area, be a little more trusting of your employees, listen to their needs, and please don't throw inappropriate parties in the office, and stop hoarding money and spend it on your employees. Consider getting more perks for employees.

9. "Stylist"

Pros

Free jewelry, training, and fun women to work with!

Cons

You will have to push people to host a party. Jewelry can be expensive for some people

10. "General Manager"

I have been working at Stella & Dot full-time

Pros

Fun and upbeat environment

Cons

Too many hours and less pay