Stella & Dot Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

Jessica Herrin

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • The work/life balance - for my particular position, at least - was not good (in 10 reviews)

• Examples are: no work/life balance, office is very small and everyone knows your personal business (in 6 reviews)

1. "Mechanical kings"

Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Anyar (India)
    Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Anyar (India)

I have been working at Stella & Dot full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I'm working rotational shift. I willing to work relocated.

Cons

I work project coordinator in many cases.
    Friendly tech with work completed on time.

Advice to Management

Tomorrow not conform. Today is true .

2. "Honest Feedback"

I have been working at Stella & Dot full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Company is comprised of hard working individuals who are extremely passionate about what they do. We have done wonderful things for communities through foundations, IBO's and our own employees giving back. It is exciting to be part of a growing company that has allowed me use my knowledge to help build my department. I am proud to see how far we have come.

Cons

As the company matures, compensation will need to be addressed throughout the organization, not just in certain pockets. A better plan needs to be put in place for career growth and for internal training. A plan that is not just discussed but actually executed on. Money has to be spent in this area to retain/grow talent. Flexible work arrangements and other company perks need to be reassessed and matched company wide. Execs need to support and build trust in their teams to execute tasks- allow employees to do what they were hired to do without micro management. If you find yourself overseeing/redlining so much, perhaps don't hire a person for that role and take on the task yourself. It creates a lot of frustration when people feel their work is constantly retooled. Be timely with performance feedback- and be honest. Peers should be doing the same with each other as well.

Advice to Management

It is time to take stock of the employee side of the business, not just the IBO side. Show employees you are willing to invest in them - training, flex schedules, benefits, proper staffing and equality across sites. Create a recognition program that is more then once a year, offer a way for managers to reward employees, etc. We know the bottom line is important, but at times it seems we are too caught up to recognize/celebrate the great things we have accomplished. Let's live in the moment more!

"OK place to work but not for everyone"

Pros

Snacks and coffee provided, leadership team seems to be strong for business

Cons

I'm a current employee who is leaving the company. I'll give them this- the leadership team seems like they're going to be great for the business, but culture is horrible. There is a silent "no work from home" policy, which isn't communicated at all levels of the organization, I guess. It seems like some teams and people are allowed to do it and some aren't. I think the awkwardness is coming from the top because there are no hard-and fast rules, it's just up to whatever the CEO says or feels like she wants. It also fluctuates. Being in the bay area, you just can't have a no-work-from home policy or any flexibility in that regard.
    I don't know why the VP of HR left (or was asked to leave) but HR is a revolving door- since I've been there. As far as company policies are concerned, I don't think they have much in place even though they have been around for years. Last week, they had a party with jars filled with condoms and a board with some stuff from Tinder on it- it was very inappropriate and employees felt offended. It was some theme I think, but the whole thing was to launch a sunscreen. I'm not sure where HR was or if they knew this was happening, because I think that's a strange type of thing to allow, especially when there is alcohol. Not many people attended the party.. and I'm sure it was because it was just mainly taste-less and inappropriate. I'm sure it was awkward for the men because there were bananas labeled "small" "medium" and "large" next to the jars of condoms. I'm not sure what exactly was the message they were trying to send with this whole thing. I also think they need to reconsider serving alcohol at work because a lot of people drive to work because there are limited options for public transportation. I also think managers need to be trained and taught how to communicate and motivate their teams.

Advice to Management

Be more willing to listen, stop making policies that don't make sense for the Bay Area, be a little more trusting of your employees, listen to their needs, and please don't throw inappropriate parties in the office, and stop hoarding money and spend it on your employees. Consider getting more perks for employees.

4. "Great Culture"

I have been working at Stella & Dot full-time

Pros

Perks, benefits, great setting, nice floor plan, great culture, team players

Cons

healthcare plan is not the best

5. "Average"

I have been working at Stella & Dot full-time

Pros

Nice office and good colleagues

Cons

very high rate of turnover

"Burnout central"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brisbane, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brisbane, CA

I worked at Stella & Dot full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free snacks, great people to work with, and a nice office space.

Cons

There are a lot of problems here. Let's start with minor ones.

The office space is nice and has great views, but it's out in the middle of nowhere. The free snacks are great but the only onsite food is a cafeteria that takes 20 minutes for a salad (and it's expensive!) or two food trucks (at most) that will show up on the curb. Otherwise you'll need to hop in a car and go 15+ minutes to get something.

The people are great to work with (in general) but they are always under high loads of stress because of constantly changing deadlines and shifting priorities, which tends to make everyone grumpy and moody a lot of the time.

The work/life balance - for my particular position, at least - was not good. I was expected to be available evenings and weekends, and online in the evenings at least 1-3 times a week. I could work from home 1 day a week, but it really didn't feel like it was really approved of - it was a grudging allowance. It was always grilled in that it was a privilege that could be snatched away at any moment.

The biggest problem with the company is that no one is actually empowered to do their job. The CEO has to check everything, and even after a campaign is approved and things are set in motion, the campaign or its date or its details can be snatched out from underneath of the folks who were planning it - even at the last minute - and everything goes into disarray. Then all teams within the pipeline who work on that campaign have to scramble to fit whatever new requirements there are for it and get it implemented. This led to a very stressful, toxic environment that came from the very top. This leads to a lot of burnout and employee turnover.

Advice to Management

You've hired a lot of great people. Let them do their job and stop micromanaging the business.

7. "Stylist"

Pros

Free jewelry, training, and fun women to work with!

Cons

You will have to push people to host a party. Jewelry can be expensive for some people

8. "Marketing Specialist"

Current Employee - Marketing Specialist in Brisbane, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing Specialist in Brisbane, CA

I have been working at Stella & Dot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

enjoy the co-workers, office space, culture,

Cons

pay could be better, location

9. "General Manager"

I have been working at Stella & Dot full-time

Pros

Fun and upbeat environment

Cons

Too many hours and less pay

"S&D is the little engine that could/could not"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brisbane, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brisbane, CA

I have been working at Stella & Dot full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company provides a great office environment to work in aesthetically... very well decorated. Office looks more like someone's home instead of a work office purposely. Nice views and located by the water/hills. No tracking of PTA except Sick time. The people are very nice. Company provides healthy snacks(no junk food allowed). The company has so much potential if the people in charge of making decisions would just stay focused and not mull over the trivial things.

Cons

Extremely HIGH turnover. The average length of time is a year. So it's hard to establish a work relationship when people are constantly leaving. HR will not really find the root to the issue to why no one stays. Because the company still sees itself as a small company overall, they require you to do the work of 3 people vs just hiring adequate help. There is usually long hrs and high expectations to meet unreasonable deadlines. Management is constantly spinning on sometimes what looks like "Non important" issues. Location is not admirably located in the city so you are not near any options for food and transportation is a struggle especially for those that have no car.