Stella & Dot Stylist Reviews | Glassdoor

3.1
Jessica Herrin

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • The work/life balance - for my particular position, at least - was not good (in 10 reviews)

• The biggest problem with the company is that no one is actually empowered to do their job (in 11 reviews)

1. "Independent Stylist"

Current Freelancer - Independent Stylist in New York, NY
    Current Freelancer - Independent Stylist in New York, NY

I have been working at Stella & Dot (More than a year)

Pros

Great support from other stylists through facebook and at monthly meetups (if your hometown has enough stylists, if not facebook is great for that and so is your sponsor).
    More than enough free training, podcasts, youtube videos, facebook groups, etc.
    It's fun (Styling and Marketing are my passions so it's fun).
    Designer Collaborations and the recent addition of clothing.
    No monthly minimum requirements.
    You DON'T have to buy all new jewelry every time a new collection comes out.
    If you buy the staple items that don't retire quickly, or the items that don't retire at all, you can use the lookbooks to sell seasonal items. That's what I do, plus if I love a seasonal item, I can always sell it for the next seasonal item.
    I work when I want to.
    In fact some Stylists only sell during the months leading up to the holidays. That's the most profitable time of the year. Besides Christmas, galas, office parties. Really the best time to be a stylist.
    Before the new compensation plan and rewards, I earned free jewelry and business supplies plenty of times.
    With the new 2017, it's getting easier for me as a stylist. I can share wishlists now, I can build a shopping cart and then share it to the customer. All they have to do is checkout.
    Great way to grow and learn how to have a business.
    I love that Stella & Dot isn't scammy. I am compensated for helping other women succeed with their business. If I don't work, I don't get paid. That's how it should be. I choose to style because it's fun for me and meaningful to my clients, so the majority of my money comes from accessory sales.
    I once bought a bracelet that was prone to falling apart and I was given product credit for my purchase. I guess stylists complained and so the credit was automatically issued.
    Home Office is very receptive to feedback. (big improvement).

Cons

This isn't a get rich quick scheme. Like most business investments, you take a risk of this business not working out for you.
    You actually have to work, however they give you the tools and words to say to help you. You also have the support of your sponsors.
    If you don't understand your market, you won't get the right items in front of them and this business will seem like a scam to you.
    Persistence and follow-through are important.
    If you're not confident, shy, anti-social you will struggle, however you can work on your confidence if you choose to.
    If you live in a big city it's hard to have style parties if your initial customers don't spend much on jewelry or if they're from a poor background.
    The jewelry is expensive for some people, but the idea is to find people who already loves jewelry.
    Sometimes I get a piece that is poorly made, I just return it for another one.
    They're ended Style Fix Rewards.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. Keep listening to the us, the stylists. Thanks for the upgrades.

2. "Stylist"

Current Contractor - Stylist
    Current Contractor - Stylist

I have been working at Stella & Dot as a contractor (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible hours, great for a family.

Cons

No one-on-one help. Online training is only option.

"Worst SCAM ever!"

Former Freelancer - STAR Stylist

I worked at Stella & Dot (More than 3 years)

Pros

Can't think of any.

Cons

This is mint any different than any other scheme. You have to have lots of friends with lots of money. You also have to buy new product all the time. The upper level stylist treat you like dirt unless you are making them money of course. It's all run like a giant sorority. It's ridiculous. I spent more money than I ever made and I had a team and made it to a good level. My husband warned me the entire time that I was being dumb and I dismissed his warnings. I also turned into a pushy salesperson and that isn't me at all! Guess what? People don't want to spend hundreds on that fake stuff!!! It all tarnishes and breaks faster than stuff you can get at Claire's.

Advice to Management

Find a hole, all gather in it, barricade it in and just sit around complimenting each other all day. Please leave us normal women alone!!! Oh and take that fake CEO with ya! Think about why she's soooooo rich. Do you honestly think it's from customer orders? Ha! Ask her for her sales reports. How much revenue she makes on customers vs stylists. See if she will give you that info! Good luck with that!

4. "S&D is a Giant Waste of Your Precious Time!"

Former Freelancer - STAR Stylist

I worked at Stella & Dot (More than 3 years)

Pros

The rear end kissing you may receive if you sell a ton or recruit more idiots.

Cons

Horrible company. Only very top that work 16 hour days will make money. You have to constantly buy more and more product as every 3 months they bring out an entire new line. The product will maybe last 6 months before falling apart and it's very expensive. Spend your money going out shopping with your friends instead of inviting them over to buy this crap. Your friends will hate you after your party.

Advice to Management

You all run your teams like sororities. If you sell your butt off, the praise and acknowledgements will flow until your butt hurts from all the brown nosing. If you have a bad month....what's your name again? Get my drift? All those sad ladies trying to hard to make a buck, look at the CEO??? See how rich she is? Wonder how that is? It's off YOU, duh! Wake up! She is making money off of the stylists! Not the customers. Ask her for a report of her revenue stream. What is the percentage she makes from customers vs stylists. Wonder why that info is never available???

5. "Love Stella & Dot!"

Current Freelancer - Stylist in San Francisco, CA
    Current Freelancer - Stylist in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Stella & Dot (More than 8 years)

Pros

Being a stylist is flexible and fun!

Cons

Samples can be quite expensive

6. "Stylist"

Former Freelancer - Sales Representative/Stylist in Chino, CA
    Former Freelancer - Sales Representative/Stylist in Chino, CA

I worked at Stella & Dot (More than a year)

Pros

Running your business can be fun and you could be successful. It gives you a chance to network and make business and personal relationships.

Cons

Not enough sales if someone doesn't want to buy

7. "You get what you put in!"

Current Freelancer - Independent Stylist in Ventura, CA
    Current Freelancer - Independent Stylist in Ventura, CA

I have been working at Stella & Dot (More than 3 years)

Pros

Community of women, hard-working moms, discounts on jewelry and gorgeous accessories, incremental income. If you have the time, you can reap many rewards and benefits!

Cons

Can be difficult to become a part of teams (feeling welcomed), some teams are very large you can become just a number, compensation plan can be challenging if you don't build a team yourself, politics (as with any business)

"Lead Stylist"

Former Freelancer - Former Stylist
    Former Freelancer - Former Stylist

I worked at Stella & Dot (More than 5 years)

Pros

Discounted jewelry is about all there is. Maybe 1st dibs on new styles if you even want to count that.

Cons

You will likely spend more than you make. I've seen in over and over. If you're thinking of joining ask for PROFIT numbers.

Advice to Management

I completely agree with all the reviews regarding sorority culture so true. The bottom line is any home based business, you are going to have to work your butt off to make real money. However with the low comission percentage of up to 35% and constantly changing styles, little pay on levels within your organization, it's going to be tough to replace your full time salary. The women I've seen who were successful were ones who were already well off to begin with and have lots of rich friends who can waste money on things like this. The same is true for their skincare line.

"Beware the Stylist Opportunity"

Former Freelancer - Independent Stylist in East Hartford, CT
    Former Freelancer - Independent Stylist in East Hartford, CT

I worked at Stella & Dot (More than a year)

Pros

Independent - you make your own hours and income is what you choose to make it.

Don't do it as a fun little side job. The shows are only fun when you are the guest.

Cons

You can't play if you don't pay. Not only do you need a starter kit, but product outdates quickly. Ergo, you must buy more each quarter. . It was a good thing to do for fun, if I had not had a six figure day job to support the constant repurchasing, , I honestly would not have had product to sell.

People will have shows but seldom more than once. The shipping is a killer.

If you don't want to recruit others, don't participate. It's very challenging to ever get ahead. Costs and fees are everywhere

Advice to Management

Your product used to be so unique and lovely. Quality has changed and pricing is out of many home party budgets.

"Favoritism"

Former Employee - Stylist in Newport Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Stylist in Newport Beach, CA

I worked at Stella & Dot part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Cute jewelry to wear all the time and share with your family and friends. Flexibility to spend time with your family

Cons

Focus is on upper level stylists who already had a strong financial background & the ability to buy the entire product line upfront. Samples are too expensive.

Advice to Management

Favoritism is not good business practices. Encouraging the new stylists to build their business without blocking from home office needs to happen.