Stella & Dot Stylist Reviews | Glassdoor

3.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Jessica Herrin

Pros
Cons
  • The work/life balance - for my particular position, at least - was not good (in 10 reviews)

• Examples are: no work/life balance, office is very small and everyone knows your personal business (in 6 reviews)

1. "You get what you put in!"

Current Freelancer - Independent Stylist in Ventura, CA
    Current Freelancer - Independent Stylist in Ventura, CA

I have been working at Stella & Dot (More than 3 years)

Pros

Community of women, hard-working moms, discounts on jewelry and gorgeous accessories, incremental income. If you have the time, you can reap many rewards and benefits!

Cons

Can be difficult to become a part of teams (feeling welcomed), some teams are very large you can become just a number, compensation plan can be challenging if you don't build a team yourself, politics (as with any business)

"Beware the Stylist Opportunity"

Former Freelancer - Independent Stylist in East Hartford, CT
    Former Freelancer - Independent Stylist in East Hartford, CT

I worked at Stella & Dot (More than a year)

Pros

Independent - you make your own hours and income is what you choose to make it.

Don't do it as a fun little side job. The shows are only fun when you are the guest.

Cons

You can't play if you don't pay. Not only do you need a starter kit, but product outdates quickly. Ergo, you must buy more each quarter. . It was a good thing to do for fun, if I had not had a six figure day job to support the constant repurchasing, , I honestly would not have had product to sell.

People will have shows but seldom more than once. The shipping is a killer.

If you don't want to recruit others, don't participate. It's very challenging to ever get ahead. Costs and fees are everywhere

Advice to Management

Your product used to be so unique and lovely. Quality has changed and pricing is out of many home party budgets.

"Favoritism"

Former Employee - Stylist in Newport Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Stylist in Newport Beach, CA

I worked at Stella & Dot part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Cute jewelry to wear all the time and share with your family and friends. Flexibility to spend time with your family

Cons

Focus is on upper level stylists who already had a strong financial background & the ability to buy the entire product line upfront. Samples are too expensive.

Advice to Management

Favoritism is not good business practices. Encouraging the new stylists to build their business without blocking from home office needs to happen.

5. "Independent Stylist"

Former Employee - Stylist in San Ramon, CA
    Former Employee - Stylist in San Ramon, CA

I worked at Stella & Dot (More than 3 years)

Pros

One of the best sales experiences I had was with Stella & Dot! Jessica Herrin is definitely the most inspiring, passionate and well-respected CEOs I've ever known! Her creative team is incredibly talented too! Even though I worked from home and was constantly on the go, I always felt the love and support from Stella & Dot. If you're looking for a fun, flexible and stylish career, I would highly recommend becoming a stylist! You won't regret it!

Cons

I can't think of any cons ;-)

"Total Scam. Typical MLM."

Former Employee - Independent Stylist in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Independent Stylist in San Francisco, CA

Pros

None anymore. You used to get 50% off jewelry now it's 25% unless you sell sell sell.

Cons

You have to buy all your won products and displays. Which never ends because they are constantly discontinuing certain lines so you have to buy more each season. They run promotions to earn credit for free jewelry or qualify for 50% off but it's a scam. As a stylist if your jewelry breaks to bad that "we want the customer to always be happy" doesn't apply to stylists. You have to buy it again and at full price. The company makes money off the stylists not customers. If you want to make money you will be working more hours than any sales job I've ever had. And if you have stylists under you and you don't make your required dollar amount those stylist get out under the person above you and they make the money not you. There is little support for stylists each team is very different. Very little training. They sell stay at home moms on oh you just have to throw trunk shows with your friends and for and for a few hours a week of work you can make great money. It's a total lie. They want you to use an iPad with their app but you have to buy it. Most will spend more than they ever make. They keep expanding the line so you have to buy more and more and more products. Jewelry, purses, bags, makeup, scarves, glasses.....

Advice to Management

Stop being greedy and support your stylists. You are fake and act like a college sorority. Stylists shouldn't have to buy the products they need to show to sell. Stop lying and telling stylists it's so easy and fun. The work is 24/7 if you really want to make any money. Your customer service treat your stylists like horribly. And the quality of the product now is complete garbage. I was embarrassed to sell such poor quality at such a high price tag. It totally went down hill stop expanding the lines and focus on the Jewery and maybe one other line. Go retail and stop being a pyrmid scam and making millions of the backs of working moms and students.

7. "Associate Stylist"

Current Employee - Associate Stylist in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Associate Stylist in Denver, CO

I have been working at Stella & Dot part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Love the company and the overall vision of Jessica Herrin. Buy-in is small comparatively to starting other businesses.

Cons

It takes time and money to build your business.

"Great for Stylist"

Current Employee - Senior Stylist in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Senior Stylist in Atlanta, GA

Pros

Fun job for the sales personality. You have to be a self-starter but company provides lots of support. Product is fairly easy to sell though a tad expensive.

Cons

Realize that company makes money by selling to stylists - We're one of their biggest customer bases. Knowing this, use the resources they offer to make money for yourself & it works well for both parties.

Advice to Management

Don't know about office operations but support for stylists is great. Just remember stylists are the bread & butter of company.

"fun but temporary"

Current Employee - Sales Associate - Stylist in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Sales Associate - Stylist in Washington, DC

I have been working at Stella & Dot part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fun, social, great team support and environment, pretty & stylish product

Cons

somewhat overpriced, income depends entirely on commission, some market saturation in my location

Advice to Management

Keep product quality high to justify price.

"trunk show is a hard sell"

Current Employee - Stylist in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Stylist in Atlanta, GA

Pros

great product. great company. I love the stylist community. Everyone enjoys helping each other.

Cons

you can make most of your income by doing trunk shows which I love doing. But, It is very difficult to sell the 'simplicity' of our trunk shows in order to get hostesses to book with you. Then, a lot of the time when they book, they end up cancelling. It is very difficult to keep a full trunk show schedule. Great product and company though!!!

Advice to Management

more hostess incentive. Better hostess incentives.

"Independent Stylist"

Current Employee - Independent Accessories Stylist in Chino, CA
    Current Employee - Independent Accessories Stylist in Chino, CA

Pros

Gives women the flexibility to work at home at their own pace.

Cons

Sales are unpredictable and can be discouraging.

Advice to Management

Raise the percentage of commission.