Stephen Thomas Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated January 23, 2017

3.9
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "A great place to work"

Current Employee - Executive Vice-President
    Current Employee - Executive Vice-President

Pros

I have worked here for over 20 years and have watched this company change from a consulting firm to an advertising agency. While we've changed and grown, we've kept our roots and a compassionate place to work. We care about our staff and we care about the client's we serve. We work exclusively with non-profits with a mind to helping make the world a better place.

Cons

ST is not a typical advertising agency. We don't work 80 hours a week. Salary is commiserate with our work-life balance philosophy. If you want to work a million hours selling products and make a huge amount of money, this isn't the agency for you.

2. "A great place to grow and learn"

Former Employee - Account Team
    Former Employee - Account Team

I worked at Stephen Thomas full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Stephen Thomas Ltd. is a great place to grow and develop as a person and as a professional. You have the opportunity to work in your designated position, but also the opportunity to try out new areas. You have the chance to wear a few different hats, and find the area where you shine. That is one thing the ST is great at is letting you shine. Stephen Thomas is a family the minute that you walk in the door. If you choose to separate yourself from the "clique", as someone else has put it, like in any office or group you will feel like an outsider. You need to jump in with both feet at this place, come ready to work hard, bring your whole heart and put it into the great work that they do here and you will have some of the best years of your career.

Cons

You will not make millions working at Stephen Thomas. You work at ST because of the culture, because of the great people and clients and because of the work they are doing to make the world a better place. Being focused strongly in direct mail, there are many "old school" techniques that are in need of updating. This is slowly happening, but change does not happen fast. Being a smaller organization you can at times feel “stuck” in your current position. You will need to work hard to work your way up the ladder at ST, and sometimes you need to wait for others to leave their positions or move up to make room for you. As a smaller organization that is the reality.

Advice to Management

Trust all of your staff, not just the seniors. There are some great minds in the bullpen, they just need a little room to show their stuff. If someone is great remember to tell them that. Everyone likes a pat on the shoulder when they work their butts off on a project. Keep doing what you're doing, its a great friendly warm environment and anyone should be honoured to work there.

3. "Great clients, but no real future here"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Stephen Thomas full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Great clients
    -Great co-workers who truly believe in "making a difference"
    -Fun environment/social events, etc.

Cons

-Many people there have not worked anywhere else or in any other industries
    -People in upper management that don't have the right skills/experience to take the company into the future
    -Very little potential for growth, "old school" way of doing things, not quick to respond to market changes/opportunities
    -Low salaries
    -Very "cliquey"

Advice to Management

Hire employees from outside the industry. Restructure senior management. Listen to all of your employees, not just the "chosen few" who you've deemed "brilliant". Your employees have more to offer than you think.

4. "Not a place for growth"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Pros

- Quarterly bonus package
    - Many fun activities to boost morale
    - Central location, close to TTC

Cons

- No real focus on employee growth
    - Very old school perspective
    - Low pay
    - Not very competitive in the market
    - Cliques

Advice to Management

Upper management restructuring needed to take this company further