Stereo D Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.6
William Sherak

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The long hours mandated overtime pay by California law, so during crunch time it was possible to save up a decent amount of cash (in 9 reviews)

• It's a good place to start and get exerience (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours, High concept learning curve with no branching or improvement for personal growth (in 20 reviews)

• Little to no communication between departments, as well as upper management to lower tier artists/employees (in 9 reviews)

1. "Former Employee"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burbank, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burbank, CA

I worked at Stereo D full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Work on current feature films.

Cons

Not enough performance reviews and raises. Work extremely long hours.

"Worst HR practices I have ever encountered"

Former Employee - Stereo Compositor in Burbank, CA
    Former Employee - Stereo Compositor in Burbank, CA

I worked at Stereo D full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you like unreliability, nepotism and a toxic work environment, this is the studio for you! If you have self respect, do yourself a favor and work at the many other studios that exist. Started here and thought this was the norm. It is not. There are way better opportunities out there.

Cons

Abysmal communication and no ethics/respect. Immature and incestual.

Advice to Management

Do us all a favor. Dig yourself a grave and hop in.

3. "What you make of it"

Former Employee - Depth Artist in Burbank, CA

I worked at Stereo D full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of friendly people and experience variety

Cons

Work experience is unrelatable and management is very corporate constrictive. Hours tend to be heavy and unforgiving.

Advice to Management

Allow artists to grow and explore by offering different levels or position variety, even simply a 'senior' title to shoot for.

4. "Decent Company, Awesome Staff"

Former Employee - Depth Artist in Burbank, CA

I worked at Stereo D full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The staff is awesome to work with,
    The environment is very relaxed, as long as your doing your work no one will bother you

Cons

Works get very repetitive to the point were it becomes boring,
    Not much employee events( maybe one a year)
    Super low salaries
    People don't get promoted by skill level rather by who they know in the company...

Advice to Management

Please review people and compensate them appropriately, dont wait for them to come to you asking for a raise.

5. "Awful"

Former Employee - Depth Artist in Burbank, CA

Pros

Cool projects and people.
    Leads try their best to please everyone.

Cons

Too many artists forced to work long hours.
    Felt like just another cog in the machine.
    No benefits for the first 8 months. Then they let you go for 3 months just to hire you back with no benefits.

Advice to Management

Soo many talented artists working for you. Act like they are people and treat them with respect.

"Casual Easy Working"

Current Employee - Paint/Composite Artist in Burbank, CA
    Current Employee - Paint/Composite Artist in Burbank, CA

Pros

Once you get the hang of the 3D Conversion process the job is a breeze. It's a very straight forward with not very much variation from day to day. You know what your doing and it becomes easy after awhile.

Cons

Long hours, High concept learning curve with no branching or improvement for personal growth.

"good for fresh employees, but not for experienced ones."

Former Employee - Creative Supervisor in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Creative Supervisor in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Stereo D full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Many projects, during crunch time food is sometimes brought in for the team.

Cons

Not much opportunity for growth, long hours are expected when projects are in, and leave is mandatory during times when not much work is available. skills learned dont translate well into the rest of the industry unless in a management position. a lot of work is outsourced.

8. "Depth Artist Review"

Former Employee - Depth Artist in Burbank, CA

I worked at Stereo D (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazing co workers, great teams, and a fun environment to work in.

Cons

Not really a lot of cons i found working there.

"Stereo D is what you get when management sells their soul's to the devil"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burbank, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burbank, CA

I have been working at Stereo D full-time

Pros

If you need experience because this is your first job then you can definitely get years here, whether it is good or not on your resume is on you to sell it to the next company if they haven’t heard of Stereo D.
    The artist are amazing to work with, I’m not talking about skill wise. I’m just talking about personality. Everyone tries to make work as fun and comfortable as possible to withstand the discomforts of this company.
    You get benefits when you become full time status. Your benefits include medical, dental, vision, life insurance and 401k. Good luck trying to become full time status though.
    You get to work on feature films and get IMDB credits if you set it up for yourself.
    You get snacks at work daily and during crunch sometimes food is provided for everyone so that people can continue to work and the yahoo building campus is nice. The yahoo campus has 2 commissaries to eat, a c-store for coffee, a gym on campus for those that want to pay a gym membership, outdoor patio to eat, volleyball court, putting green, ping pong table outdoors and a giant chess board. The empire building has foosball, ping pong and food trucks.

Cons

This company during the crunch seasons works you to the bone literally! I’ve seen people worked to physical exhaustion, by physical exhaustion I mean complete total collapse of the human body and I know that management has asked these people to come back to work the very next day because they thought that the worker was faking exhaustion despite sending this worker to the hospital.
    Don’t expect to have a life outside of work. A lot of these people who work at stereo D have extremely understanding family members and friends, either that or this company ends up destroying relationships. Everyone works their butts off while management just goes home on time everyday regardless of how much they work everyone (way to show team support management). The work environment at stereo d is not something that can be understood unless you work there. That’s why many people end up losing a lot of relationships, people assume that a job is always 9-6 and people have the right to say no. But it’s not the case at this company. Schedules for everyone is given Monday the week of work and that doesn’t dictate a real schedule. A lot of the time people are told to work more hours which for fear of their jobs they agree.
    Don’t expect a raise in pay unless you are part of a select group of friends or suck up to management and then even if you suck up to management, good luck. I know for a fact that certain people get raises, not because they are good at their job but because they know a person in a high position but who am I kidding I know they do that at many companies. I think what sets this company apart from others is that you don’t get a raise at all unless you know someone up high. If you don’t know a person then you will be guaranteed to stay at your rate till you quit or get laid off. This company will purposely keep your rate down and keep on changing performance reviews to a later date so that you won’t get to have an excuse to ask for a raise. My personal experience is that I asked for a raise and was told by management and I mean the direct guys up top that have their offices to themselves that I had to wait for the performance reviews which was postponed by 6 months. Then when that 6 month came by everyone was told that the performance reviews were going to be postponed again by many more months. Let’s do the math for that. Yearly review, 1 yr review plus 6 months plus another 6 month extension for the review = 2 years. If I were to receive a raise then I would have been out of 12 months’ worth of money because they extended the performance review, which is still being extended as far as I know. Why even bring up the topic of a performance review when you don’t give raises?
    When everyone has a floor meeting, come as a pessimist and question everything they say because there will be lies that will be major down the road.
    Good luck trying to get full time status also. You’re a temp position for your probation till you cautiously nag them about your full time status which can range from 6 months if you are lucky to 1 year. But nothing is going to happen if you don’t remind them that you want to become full time. I say 1 year also because everyone I knew that stayed for 1 year quit right afterward because they were tired of waiting with the false promises so I don’t know how far that range can go.
    I have so much more I want to write about but suffice to say all this company is, is just another paycheck that might never go higher. It’s very possible to see your paycheck go lower because there are people who have had that happen. But don’t expect anything from this modern day sweatshop of a company.

Advice to Management

When you get your bonus from meeting your quota from firing people, how about you really consider if those people should really be fired or possibly think about giving the money you saved from firing people to the remaining staff as a possible raise instead of padding your pockets more. If that is against your moral fiber of a being to give up money then how about you try treating people like people, stop faking emotions like your sad for getting rid of people when you do it on a daily basis, maybe even try to tell them the truth instead of putting a carrot on a stick and giving us an ounce of false hope when you know it destroys us because it’s a lie.
    Here’s some great advice that I know won’t ever happen, how about management work the same hours as everyone else during crunch. That might show that you are working just as hard as everyone else.

"Depth Artist"

Current Employee - Depth Artist in Burbank, CA
    Current Employee - Depth Artist in Burbank, CA

I have been working at Stereo D full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun people, high-profile, fun films to work on.

Cons

There were seasonal lay-offs, and of course no benefits for temps. Full-time status after six months, but a new entry level hire would probably be laid-off before then. very low pay and long, long hours. Moved most of the art production to Toronto, but word is the company is losing business because quality is down.

Advice to Management

Don't move to another country to chase tax breaks! You never appreciated how much your long-time, loyal employees were contributing to your product.