Stericycle Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.7
Charles A. Alutto

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • If something comes ups, I always have the ability to work from home (in 14 reviews)

• Great benefits packages for all employees (in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management showed favoritism (in 30 reviews)

• Sometimes getting a day off can be difficult, but that's life in a call center (in 18 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Feels like home"

Current Employee - Supervisor in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Supervisor in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Stericycle full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Stericycle really is a great company to work for. It all depends on the location you work out of, and the dedication you have to your job and the company. I feel like I'm part of a corporate family, and although I do believe the pay is competitive and we could be making more, the support and perks you get when you have a positive relationship with your peers is worth it. Contrary to popular belief, the company cares about its customers and its employees. I know this first hand. Safety is also priority and preached on a daily. I work in operations and although it's not a glamorous job it's one I enjoy and are thankful for.

Cons

Pay is competitive but not horrible.

Advice to Management

From an operations perspective, management does a good job in keeping us on our toes.

"Current tenured employee"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Northbrook, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Northbrook, IL

I have been working at Stericycle full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good pay, benefits, especially vacation time. Fun culture, flexible work life balance, dependable, effective training.

Cons

SALES DIRECTORS.
    SALES DIRECTORS.
    1 director is a manipulative bully who consistently steals ideas and uses them. Uses the position of power and scare tactics to "lead". This person is the most disingenuous person I've ever met, and has absolutely no business leading people. (That said- still a smart person who would bring value to an analytical/operations role).
    The other director is a two faced cheerleader for the company. Will promote positivity while behind closed doors will berate peers and employees and manipulate others. Better suited for marketing.
    Unreasonable goals, lack of communication, very little investment in employee growth in terms of advanced training. Business model- abusing customers over and over and over again.

in my time at the company I've seen 10 VPs/SVPs in 10 years, coming and going.
    In the same time I've seen 6 sales directors. How can anyone promote a unified vision when the people in power constantly change?

Advice to Management

Empower the current VP who seems to be on the right path and genuinely cares about the employees on the sales floor.
    Commit to an account management model which will vastly improve customer relations.
    Invest time in coaching and training your middle management staff.

Fix your clear and obvious issue- DIRECTORS. You will never have a successful and engaged sales floor if the people don't trust their leaders.

Stop ignoring the exit interview feedback and engagement survey feedback. None of this should be news to any of you.

Nov 14, 2017 – Director of Culture and Communication

Thank you for the really great advice! If you'd like to talk, please feel free to reach out to me, Lara Morrow, 817-291-8658.

3. "Customer Service Representative"

I have been working at Stericycle full-time

Pros

-Great benefits after working there a few months.
    -Pay is decent.

Cons

-Nonstop calls
    -High turnover rate
    -Very few chances to move up in the company

Advice to Management

Appreciate your employees more.

4. "Customer service rep"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Chicago, IL

I worked at Stericycle full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Independence. Some structure. Enjoyed team building and when the company was still shred it. Large company wig room to move around.

Cons

Every man for themselves. Can feel a bit lonely and be unsure of how you’re doing. Pay could also be better of course.

5. "Great Place To Work"

I have been working at Stericycle full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

My position has a lot of flexibility. If something comes ups, I always have the ability to work from home. The people are really friendly and easy to work with. I believe I have a lot of job security. They provide great benefits as well.

Cons

They are on the lower end of the salary for this position. They do not have many events or activities to bring each team together, but with a new office in River North, they are slowly trying to incorporate a "work family" atmosphere.

Nov 14, 2017 – Director of Culture and Communication

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your thoughts and feedback. It's great to hear about the atmosphere and flexibility. We are working to ensure that all team members feel empowered to... More

6. "Decent Company"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Chicago, IL

I worked at Stericycle full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Company culture in the call center was pretty decent. They are also good about considering internal candidates for open positions that would be considered a promotion.

Cons

They do not pay much. No assigned seating which makes it hard to spruce up your work space.

Nov 14, 2017 – Director of Culture and Communication

Were you able to talk to any of the managers to provide your feedback while working for Stericycle? I'd love to hear more. - Lara Morrow, 817-291-8658

"Management has driven company into the ground"

Current Employee - Inbound Sales Representative in Northbrook, IL
    Current Employee - Inbound Sales Representative in Northbrook, IL

I have been working at Stericycle full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The insurance and time off is decent. New SQ VP of Sales seems like she genuinely cares and will listen.

Cons

You have to have thick skin and little to no morals in order to succeed at Stericycle.. The people that "fail" here typically have a conscience and have a tough time lying to customers. As past reviews have eloquently stated, " the people that lie the best, make the most money". THIS IS NOT A TRUE SALES JOB. There is no selling whatsoever. True sales people do poorly here or get fired, plain and simple. If anyone says differently, they are purely lying. It is "see how much money you can fleece from a customer". Employees are encouraged by Directors and Regional Sales Managers say and do whatever needs to be done to get a sale and steal as much money from a customer as possible without being transparent. If that means being unethical, so be it.

This is the 1st company that i have worked for that actually fires people for having morals and doing the right thing for the customer. One team, for example, gets evaluated on how much revenue that they save when one of the thousands of unhappy customers who want to cancel their accounts call in, once they figure out how long they have been taken advantage of. They are written up if there discount is too high or they cancel too many accounts. The sad thing is that they are under the most scrutiny because they have to to clean up the mess that greedy management and sales people created and unethically manipulated.

There needs to be new leadership and a house cleaning of top management. Otherwise, this company will sink. I have family members who are physicians who won't even use us. Trust issues? You think?

Advice to Management

Listen to your people and actually do something ethical about it. Replace your Directors who are just wrong fits for the job and who most people no longer respect

Nov 14, 2017 – Director of Culture and Communication

I am so sorry that you feel this way! Is there someone that you feel comfortable talking to? I am always here if you want to confidentially talk about some of the challenges you are experiencing... More

8. "Maintenance Technician Lead"

Current Employee - Lead Maintenance Technician in Gary, IN
    Current Employee - Lead Maintenance Technician in Gary, IN

I have been working at Stericycle full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Managers are very supportive in your growth with the company

Cons

Not very good leadership on floor

Advice to Management

Need more accountability

Nov 14, 2017 – Director of Culture and Communication

Accountability is the key to success and one of our core values! How can we better train managers for success? Is there any specific topics that you'd recommend? - Lara Morrow 817-291-8658 or... More

9. "Parent company is Stericycle."

Current Employee - CSR2 in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - CSR2 in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Stericycle full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good work hours and Benefits.

Cons

Not enough equipment to provide customers with the services they require.

Nov 14, 2017 – Director of Culture and Communication

Please feel free to email me, call me or text me in regards to the equipment that you need to provide our customers with an exceptional experience. I will make sure to get your thoughts anonymously... More

"Not what I expected"

Former Employee - Dispatcher in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Dispatcher in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Stericycle full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits, Holiday Pay, and PTO.

Cons

Terrible computer program, horrible team work, Weird schedule, and Stressful.

Nov 14, 2017 – Director of Culture and Communication

Thank you for your feedback. I will make sure that it gets to our leadership team.