Stericycle Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.8
Charles A. Alutto

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good pay, minimal supervision and good benefits (in 24 reviews)

• Great benefits, competitive pay, work at home opportunities (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management showed favoritism (in 29 reviews)

• Employee Development, strict policy's on call center representatives (in 17 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Awesome Benefits and Employee Centered Culture"

Current Employee - Supervisor
    Current Employee - Supervisor

I have been working at Stericycle full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good pay, chances for advancement, awesome benefits. This company is constantly changing things based on employee feedback to improve culture, work circumstances, and benefits. I've never worked somewhere that tried so hard to keep their employees happy.

Cons

We have a lot of remote locations, which allows our employees to work from home, but it also makes hiring and training difficult. We need to hire someone who lives near a site so they can train in office, and that minimizes our hiring pool and referral ability.

Though the constant changes are desirable and for the benefit of all, communication could improve. When plans change or employees are receiving conflicting/partial info, It reduces trust and confidence.

Advice to Management

Allow management to communicate better by giving them all of the facts, and refrain from changing the plan or guidelines mid-implementation. Make sure all HR reps, directors, and managers receive/relay the same information.

More support to remote locations in terms of culture and recognition tools.

Jul 19, 2017 – Director of Culture and Communication

Thank you so much for your feedback. We are currently working on toolkits for managers and recruiters to hire the best team members for our work at home environments. Communication regarding change... More

2. "High growth"

I worked at Stericycle full-time

Pros

Through many acquisitions, there are 100's of opportunities to grow; excellent total reward plans.

Cons

7x24 environment requires being constantly available in some roles.

Advice to Management

Continue to seek ideas and input from employees outside of Lake Forest.

3. "Finance Leader - US"

Current Employee - Finance in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Finance in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Stericycle full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I genuinely like working here a lot! The management is down to earth, polite, and is there to serve the company. There exists almost limitless opportunities to join in on new projects and initiatives. It is very easy to make continuous improvements--the vast majority of the time, we're encouraged to work smarter, not harder with almost no red tape.

Cons

The org structure has relatively few titles and it seems like there is almost no standardization in how employees obtain these titles. When I call corporate, I have the choice to talk to a finance manager with 15 years of experience in our field with knowledge abound, or a director that has one year of experience and can provide almost no higher level direction. There are also very few women leaders in finance, and I'm not sure if I have met any minority leaders that were not Asian. It's almost like no one gives any thought to diversity whatsoever. It's not discouraged, but definitely not a priority even on the lowest level. Also, as you might imagine, the pay is all over the place, but generally very LOW unless you are very new. The executives just gave themselves a base pay increase, and I think they should cascade that to some other areas in the company since stock options are worthless and bonuses have not materialized in the last few years.

Advice to Management

Please, PLEASE do the company a favor a release or reassign all of the long time employees/leaders that have gotten us into the messes we're in and hire people that are knowledgeable in their fields. Being good one one job DOESN'T automatically qualify you to change roles and do something you have no experience doing. That is exactly how we got to this place in time. For instance: good at IT, put them in charge of HR! To be clear, this is BAD. We employees deserve well-seasoned leaders, not leaders that are in their positions for developmental opportunities. It's embarrassing and hard to explain to outsiders.

4. "The company sales model makes earning commission very attainable however the techniques used are somewhat dishonest"

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Naperville, IL
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Naperville, IL

I worked at Stericycle full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The training is paid, The salary and commission scale are good. The co workers are upbeat and fun, the job is really not hard

Cons

The sales model is bordering on dishonest. It’s a call center, and you’re on the phone all day. Many customers already sued, so be prepared to hear that when calling clients

"Former Employee"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bedford, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bedford, TX

I worked at Stericycle full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Awesome Benefits, many caring employees, great clients. Helping people every day.

Cons

Upper Management micromanages. Projects start and never finish - waste of money. Decisions made to move clients instead of taking care of root cause - poor customer service due to recent hiring practices. Stericyle buys other companies and inherits the good , the bad and the ugly. Instead of using the hiring principles of some of the good companies they acquired - like not just hiring anyone off the street, they hire people with no customer service experience. You cannot train people to care and be nice people. They have not learned this or don;t want to learn this.

Advice to Management

Stop Micromanaging and stop changing what works well. ALL the changes that have been made by upper management decisions thus far have caused incredible loss of revenue, customer dissatisfaction and employee retention. This has escalated to the point where the company has had to change their product lines multiple times due to lack of knowledge and resources to complete the prior work. They'll start oin something and not finish it! Laying off highly productive people is never a step in the right direction when you continue to have people in positions that do such a terrible job, that customers threaten to leave and the company just moves their service to another location to handle. Take care of the root cause of 95% of customer complaints - the proper hiring and training of agents taking their calls.

"Beware- would not recommend to my worst enemy"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Northbrook, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Northbrook, IL

I have been working at Stericycle full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Health insurance and paid time off

Cons

Employees are held to different standards.
    Many unethical practices for which there have been numerous lawsuits.
    Employees that are unethical tend to make more money for the company and have their shoddy behavior overlooked.
    Comp plan changes months after it is introduced amd employees start making "too much" money
    Year after year state that they are going to make positive changes and they change the policy halfway through the implementation
    Hire team leads with virtually no sales experience

Advice to Management

Be transparent
    Have someone other than a director devise the comp plan.
    More training for Regional Managers
    Scrap team lead position
    Get directions it's who actually have a personality and don't stare at the ground when crossing paths with them.

Sep 22, 2017 – Director of Culture and Communication

Thank you so much for your honesty! The intention is to make sure that our team members have a fair and motivating way to make money that is based on their success and performance. If you have any... More

7. "Mixed bag"

I have been working at Stericycle full-time

Pros

Great Benefits, good pay for those in management

Cons

Those on the bottom levels are underpaid for the amount of work they keep adding with no increase. Absent and late system too easy to take advantage off.

Advice to Management

Offer better pay for those who work hard on the lower levels. Have the absence system be fair to those who use it but put a block on those who have a pattern of absense.

"Communication Solutions"

Former Employee - Sales in Northbrook, IL
    Former Employee - Sales in Northbrook, IL

I worked at Stericycle full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Competitive Salary + benefits, commission structure

Cons

No upward mobility. Management does not want to groom to promote they handpicked their lieutenants long before you got there and the glass ceiling is firmly in place.

Advice to Management

Fire the Director's and VPs and get some new blood in there for a fresh perspective.

9. "Great company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Stericycle full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Plenty of opportunity for advancement
    Most office staff is nice
    Spirit Committee does excellent company events

Cons

Pay needs to be increased
    More than 70% of employees are lower class

Advice to Management

Get morale increased. You get what you pay for; if you want top notch employees that are less likely to steal then hire higher class folks to begin with.

Sep 22, 2017 – Director of Culture and Communication

Team members need to be hired for their skills, emotional intelligence and values. One of our core values is integrity. It is hopeful that we continue to attract the right people who do not steal... More

"Plant Manager"

I worked at Stericycle full-time

Pros

Plenty of room for advancement

Cons

advancement may take longer than you're willing to wait.

Advice to Management

spend more money on making the processing facilities safer, more ergonomic, and healthier for your employees.

Sep 22, 2017 – Director of Culture and Communication

Thank you so much for taking time to review Stericycle. The ability to grow a career is one of the most important aspects of employment to our team members. The company prefers to hire from within... More