Stericycle Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Charles A. Alutto

Pros
Cons
  • Seems to be problems with upper management (in 24 reviews)

• It's a call center it gets boring sometimes (in 14 reviews)

"Undervalued and horrible, unintelligent managers"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Northbrook, IL
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Northbrook, IL

I worked at Stericycle full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great co-workers, helpful and fun with each other

Cons

Managers ask for input but don't listen or follow through on anything. Employees don't listen to the managers either because it's a joke. Put policies into place and then never follow through on what needs to be done to help the customer. Rates employees really low in reviews so they don't have to give out raises even though some employees bust their butt and don't get recognition. Fires or loses good employees because management refuses to get rid of the bad employees.

Advice to Management

Follow through on items that you put into place. Get rid of the bad employees versus losing the good ones. Have a manager that knows the work the employees actually do. Know the systems the employees use. Promote from within to employees that deserve to move up.

"Shady Dealings for a Profit"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Miami, FL

I worked at Stericycle full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some flexibility in scheduling and friendly co-workers.
    Good benefits after probationary period with the exception of expensive health insurance plans.

Cons

Low wages when compared to other businesses in the industry.
    Little opportunity for advancement.
    High employee turnover rate.
    Doing business with companies that have been reported for fraud and are known to scam customers, then having to answer to those customers because their accounts have been charged without their knowledge. Lying to callers is often encouraged.
    Felt more like a telemarketer than a customer service representative while working there.

Advice to Management

Do not trade the values of the company for a profit. If you preach integrity and accountability in your core values, make sure that is the standard for all facets of your business, including Communication Solutions. Also, I cannot pay my bills with high fives and pats on the back.

"Miserable employee"

Current Employee - Customer Service Expert in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Customer Service Expert in New York, NY

I have been working at Stericycle full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good PTO, Good healthcare benefit & 401k package. There is nothing else GOOD invest in this company. You can do BETTER! Pls go find better.

Cons

Horrible communication from Corp level down to chain of command. They pay you pennies at the call center & expect you to SWEAT hard labor, no form of motivation, gratitude, bonuses, recognition for employees. Highly miserable environment. Everyone is miserable there! Stay far way.. All agents are directed to go remote randomly. Won't be a call center environment no more.

Advice to Management

Build your employees to be better instead of having them complacent to just being an "AGENT" help with MOTIVATION / PROMOTIONS.

"Account Manager"

Former Employee - Customer Care Coordinator in Irving, TX
    Former Employee - Customer Care Coordinator in Irving, TX

I worked at Stericycle full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Awesome experience working with technicians and customers.

Cons

This company is more about who you know and not what you know. The supervision needs a lot of improvement. I was offered a position in another department in order to not be offered a supervisory position in my current department, I was qualified for the position and was already performing the duties of a supervisor making sure that new employees were equipped with the necessary tools needed to do their job. Answering questions from new and old employees, taking escalated calls you name it. My supervisor wanted her favorite. So that it did't look suspicious I was offered a position, same level, same pay in another department. The person chosen for the supervisor position in my current department had only worked at Walmart she had no other prior office experience other than being friends with my supervisor who is now gone from the company. But it was blatant and there was nothing I could do about it. The CEO of Impartial Services Group said she had an open door policy but when I walked in her door she gave me a look that said I made a wrong turn. Very unprofessional place to work. I felt as though I was selling myself short working for this company. I was insulted and a victim of racial slurs being thrown at me. My supervisor and lead were a part of this. They were threatened by my professionalism and ability to bring the team together. The team would come to me before going to them for help with their work or for answers on how to handle a customer's concern. The supervisor and lead did not like this. I called a meeting with them both and asked them to just get to know your employees help them to feel as though they can come to them with their problems. My supervisor did not care. She stated that she would never do our jobs. There were times when we could have used her due to high call volumes. Any good supervisor goes down with the ship, and is never above her employees. She remained in her office most of the day on Facebook and selling her online products. This company sells pipe dreams with no results. It is unfortunate. There decision making causes the company tons of money especially when it comes to deciding whats best for the company and the customer. The CEO makes the ultimate decision and there have been plenty of times she has been wrong and cost the company money when there were simple solutions to resolving a customers issue. She herself was overwhelmed but felt that no one else was qualified to make decisions regarding the customer.

Advice to Management

Hire leaders!!! Stop hiring family members and friends in power positions. Clean house and get the old Impartial Service Supervisors and Managers out. They are all in it together and new comers that may be a threat don't stand a chance.

"Stay from"

Former Employee - Inbound Customer Service Agent in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Inbound Customer Service Agent in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Stericycle full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The co-workers are wonderful and they truly love and respect each other.

Cons

EVERYTHING ELSE ABOUT THIS COMPANY.! The lack of respect, morale, compensation, work life balance. I have never worked at a company that cared so little about people and so much about money,

Advice to Management

Learn how to be human beings!

"get them to sign up regardless of if they need it or not"

Current Employee - Sales in Northbrook, IL
    Current Employee - Sales in Northbrook, IL

I have been working at Stericycle full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

they do pay me on time

Cons

preach value and ethics but teach you only how to sell by crook and hook. Add in micro managing my every moment at work keeps sharp on crossing my t's and such but does nothing to make me a better sales person

Advice to Management

Would you want to be a stericycle customer, knowing how much you screw them over by selling them programs or services they don't need?? Then automatically increasing prices claiming enviro fees have gone up, Layer on top of that a sweet one sided fine print agreement that almost impossible to cancel unless they do everything right ahead of it expiring. Seriously, would you want to sign any Stericycle agreement knowing everything you know?

"Core Values are Hollow"

Former Employee - Sales Executive in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Sales Executive in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Stericycle full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits are slightly above average, pay is pretty good but getting worse with each new commission plan, flexibility, it's big enough to have a certain sense of job security.

Cons

Severe lack of training and then questioned for why you've done something wrong, commission/pay plans are going down the drain, horrible reputation among current customers because of price gouging which leads to a difficult sale, treat their employees like numbers or garbage (whichever you prefer), and worst of all - fake values that they preach but don't live.

Advice to Management

We're living, breathing human beings - treat us as such. When you're given the respect of a 2 week notice and an offer to work a territory to prep it for the next person - reciprocate that respect because that person probably has planned out how their next two weeks are going to play out with doctor appointments, medication refills, etc. Now I'm left without the ability to refill my necessary scripts, I've had to postpone crucial appointments and a surgery, and try to figure out how to get by/pay bills for 2 weeks... because believe it or not, I was genuine in my offer of working hard for 2 weeks because I can't start my new job right away (completely out of the industry by the way, so no need for fear of competition). My notice was one that was caused by the stress of trying to understand what's expected of me and not getting any help, but that didn't mean I was turning my back on this company - but in retrospect I probably should've do my family and I wouldn't have to deal with the hurdles we're now faced with.

And here's one last piece of advice for the upper most levels (talking to you Charlie) - don't think for one second that you're too big to fail. If you continue to treat your employees and customers (the two most important aspects of any business) the way that you do, you're in for a rude awakening when your stock price plummets and you're left on your own at that board meeting trying to answer for your actions and why you've failed.

"it was good for awhile"

Former Employee - Field Service Technician in Las Cruces, NM
    Former Employee - Field Service Technician in Las Cruces, NM

I worked at Stericycle full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

okay pay I got paid 12.00 hr

Cons

In the summer time it okay but in the winter it got busy and some hospitals were very busy management were not organized and they did care about they employees

Advice to Management

treat you'er employees with care and compassion

"horrible place to work"

Current Employee - Contact Center Representative in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Contact Center Representative in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Stericycle full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

friendly co- workers they make the time go bye

Cons

bad hours horrible training

Advice to Management

you have to actually train your staff properly not just do things site unseen

"Horrible experience"

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in North Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in North Chicago, IL

I worked at Stericycle full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

None: you start at the lowliest level possible, forced to read from a script and try to get more money from doctors, nursing homes who are paying too much already

Cons

Horrible upper management results to no vision, no direction, no guidance and a mission statement that is false. I worked there for three years and they let me out to dry

Advice to Management

Get a grip of the fact that your vision is non existent. The mission statement is bogus and needless to say, when the going get tough, the buck is being passed to others rather than the ones who need to address the issues