Stericycle Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated September 22, 2017

2.0
Charles A. Alutto

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good pay, minimal supervision and good benefits (in 24 reviews)

• Great benefits, competitive pay, work at home opportunities (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management showed favoritism (in 28 reviews)

• Employee Development, strict policy's on call center representatives (in 17 reviews)

"Not as great as it seems"

I have been working at Stericycle full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Has a great team environment, and strive for continuous improvement.

Cons

Management has changed countless times, hiring on education team / continuing education team is non existent. Agents are not able to feel confident doing their own job. Agents and team leads are not making as much as other call center agents and team leads.

Advice to Management

compensate your employees and support their growth within the company

"Pay attention to what matters!"

I have been working at Stericycle full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Used to be pretty fast paced and would provide you with the opportunity to be a part of process improvement.

Cons

There is no strategy for internal teams, there is a lack of strong leadership. I'm not sure what happened, but it really aligns with the Shred-it Acquisition...After Steri acquired Shred-it, nothing's been the same. The culture team we built up fell apart, our engagement scores went WAY down and there doesn't seem to be leadership at the VP and above level that have the interest in turning it around. It's like we are just keeping the ship a float. Do your job, don't ask questions, don't make it better. This is not the Stericycle that I used to be so proud of.

Advice to Management

There is still so much to like about Stericycle and be proud of, we are continuing to grow in most of our segments and there is an innovative culture...we are also putting processes and structures in place to support global growth...That should be exciting, but yet it's not. The team members don't feel valued. We take Surveys that show results in the teens and no one seems to care. take action. I still believe that you can turn it around, you need to invest in your people. Invest in your people feeling like they are a part of the vision and the team. Or else you are going to continue to have high turnover. It's like the company does not see this or does not care (at least within HR).

Sep 22, 2017 – Director of Culture and Communication

When we merge two great companies and brands into one, there are definitely going to be some growing pains. I promise that the company and HR cares. Continuous Improvement is one of our core... More

3. "Management"

I worked at Stericycle full-time

Pros

Lots of opportunity during the growth phase

Cons

Short term focus and reactions to quarterly cycles

Advice to Management

Address the core issues to ensure the long term success of the business

"Slightly Juvenile Employee Engagement"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Northbrook, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Northbrook, IL

I have been working at Stericycle full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Work from home oportunity if metrics are up to par

Cons

Steps and events to increase employee morale and engacement borders kindergarten an elemeray results. There were young employees but there were also older ones who were no taken into consideration.
    The supervisors needs to provide more support rather than being on their cell phones while on the floor and having personal conversations with some employees which gives the impression of favoritism. Perception is important when employees look up to their supervisor for support and fairness. There were also people who were promoted because they spoke well and articulate their thoughts but we're negative behind the supervisor and manager's back. It's just complaints after another. It's unfortunate management falied to recognize this until it was too late. All they can do now is support them when they make ongoing mistakes. Desperation to fill positions is the number 1 reason the wrong people ae being hired and promoted.

Advice to Management

Recognize well deserving supervisors who put in years of experience into the success of the company. It's dissapointing to see a very good superior terminated due to her attendance when valid reasons existed. I only point this out because she made a difference in he team and was able to do so on a consistent basis. She has been with the company for so many years since I can remember. As you would give chances to employees, you also needed to do the same for your supervisors and communicate with them where they stand .....not only when a write up is involved. She has moved on but I wish her leaving was under a different circumstance.

5. "Started good"

Current Employee - Customer Service Expert in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Customer Service Expert in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Stericycle full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You can work from home in 6 months when you're fully trained, in good standing with your metrics, and attendance.

Cons

The whole business hangs on attendance of tenured agents since there is no engaged training team to help new hires.

Advice to Management

Please get a training team in place

"Over worked, under paid"

Current Employee - Sharps Service Specialist in Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - Sharps Service Specialist in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at Stericycle full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Ability to create your schedule, typically off on the weekends, and great benefits

Cons

Long days, under staffed, under paid, no proper training, departments that affect your department are not held accountable, the culture is terrible. There is a high expectation for excellence while upper management has no idea how to operate day to day operations.

"From hell to heaven and back again over night"

I have been working at Stericycle full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good pay is about all that is good at this point.

Cons

1. A manager who makes back room deals with the union rep. to keep employees who should have been terminated twice or more for the same things.
    2. A manager who clears a employees record of any past infractions due to a deal with the union rep.
    3. A manager who never holds himself accountable
    4. manager who lies lies lies and more lies
    5., employees run the show at our facility not management.
    6. A manager that is always trying to work around the rules and regs instead of follow them
    7. a manager who was demoted but do to friendships with the CEO was quickly promoted back.
    8. no accountability anywhere
    9. No chance of promotion unless your a zombie yes man with no opinion and are willing to do whatever the manager says.
    10. unqaulified people in supervisory/management positions- there only there becuase they are yes men and bow to the top manager.
    11. unrealistic requests
    12. old outdated equipment
    13. threats of termination if you question manager
    14 any suggestions that make sense management takes the credit as their own.
    15. culture and atmosphere has gone down hill since this manager has been promoted back into his old position. Things were much much better and constantly improving when he was demoted and a different crew was running the show.
    16. Feeling of no hope for most who want to move up in the company has returned since this manager has been promoted back into his old position.
    many more things to list

Advice to Management

Get a life and stop using friendships to advance people who are wrong for the position. Clean up this district and get rid of the poor supervisors and manager who is pulling this district down again. All the advancements and improvements that were made by the other two guys when this manager was demoted has now been lost and we are now back to an even worse situation then before he was demoted. This district will never ever improve if this present manager is allowed to do what he is doing because he obviously has not learned from when he was demoted. He continues to do the same things over and over and expected a different result which will never happen. You guys had it right and on the right track when this manager was demoted and the other two guys were promoted.....things were so much better but thanks for leading us back to hell with this guy only because he has everyone fooled and he is friends with CEO. We could be so so much better but not with this guy at the helm. My gosh he cost the company of 3 good supervisors for gosh sakes.

8. "Sharps tech"

Current Employee - Sharps Tech in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Sharps Tech in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Stericycle full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good work environment
    Hard working employees

Cons

Poor supervisors. They leave all the work for the team managers.
    Always short on product.
    Poor pay considering the biohazordous waste you are handling in containers that continuously break.
    Hospital workers do not use containers correctly. In turn you have containers with blood and other liquids dripping out of them. Stericycle does nothing to educate hospital workers on the proper use of containers.
    Cart you use to pull waste are always broken or squeeking too loud to walk through hospital.
    Poor communication between management.

Advice to Management

Get younger management. Improve management communication with supervisors.
    Up pay
    Form union
    Better benefits for all the health risks involved in collecting biohazordous waste

"Driver"

Current Employee - Driver in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Driver in Miami, FL

I have been working at Stericycle full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Lots of hours, but only due to being understaffed because Leadership is more concerned with their bonus than their team members

Cons

Inadequate facility's, everyone above facility level is more concerned about their own bonus than the moral and safety of those below them

Advice to Management

Stericycle is a billion dollar company, build facility's that are practical and functional instead of the cheapest you can find. Quit treating facilities other than the one upper management is located at like crap

Jul 11, 2017 – Director of Culture and Communication

Thank you so much for bringing this to our attention! The safety and positive work environment of our team members are critical to morale. and success. Were you able to share your thoughts on the... More

"disappointed"

I have been working at Stericycle full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

good pay and steady work

Cons

corporate has no clue as to whats going on at locations or does and does not care.
    back room deals between managers and union reps to clear employee records and secure jobs instead of terminating the employee. district managers in southampton are the worst yet again. like working for an evil dictator. No promotion within unless your yes man zombie who keeps his opinions and ideas to himself. Favoritism rampant. passing the blame is rampant. no accountability from anyone. to many more to reference

Advice to Management

My advice is to get a clue. When a certain manager was demoted(should have been fired) the new guys that took over were great. Things were improving and culture and moral was high. Now since you demoted the new guys and promoted the old manager back into his old position things have gotten bad in a very short time. This guy is not a very good person, he makes back room deals with union reps in order to keep drivers instead of terminating them (this driver was wrote up an enormous amount of times). Due to this managers backroom deal he lost 3 supervisors which quit. Things have reverted back to before this individual got demoted. Now everyone is again walking on eggshells and listening to threats from him, well all except his drivers who can do no wrong.

Jul 10, 2017 – Director of Culture and Communication

Thank you very much for sharing. I have escalated your comments to the senior HR team for review. If you would like to discuss confidentially, you can reach me at any time, Lara Morrow... More