Sterigenics Reviews | Glassdoor

David E. Meyer

"Interesting, fullfilling work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Sterigenics (More than 3 years)

Pros

Decent benefits
    Good hours
    Friendly people
    Interesting and fulfilling line of work

Cons

Has lost its family feel and feels more like a standard corp

Advice to Management

Upper management is losing sight of the big picture

"Company does not value good employees"

Former Employee - Maintenance Supervisor in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Maintenance Supervisor in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Sterigenics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good benefits; alot of good employees working in production

Cons

Micro-managed; difficult to get necessary supplies; do not value your opinion if it's different from theirs; management team is not on same page so you receive conflicting instructions or information; no performance eval given or feedback provided to employee

Advice to Management

Do your current employees a favor and acknowledge when they are doing well or have significantly increased production due to less downtime. There's a reason this plant had the lowest rating for "I feel valued as an employee." when the Employee survey results came back! Managers shouldn't feel threatened when employees find a mistake or have new ideas. I have never worked for a company where you were not encouraged to improve things...most unprofessional place I have ever worked at.

3. "Career Choice, but requires open availability!"

Former Employee - B-Operator in Minot, ND
    Former Employee - B-Operator in Minot, ND

I worked at Sterigenics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great co-workers and some great supervisors, great benefits and decent pay for the position (entry-level).

Cons

12-hour shifts overnight can make it difficult to have a life outside of work, pay is not enough for the danger/hazard involved with being exposed to ethylene oxide, and advancement is difficult because of limited available spaces.

Advice to Management

Offer higher wages to reduce turn-over rates and keep employees around longer. Unfortunately, the danger/hazards of the job keep people away from this line of work. Other than that, keep up the good work.

5. "Good Experiance"

Former Employee - Micro Tech in Itasca, IL
    Former Employee - Micro Tech in Itasca, IL

I worked at Sterigenics full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

As a microbiology tech you are exposed to many different areas of testing. Most testing is performed on medical devices or biological indicators. Good job for someone who just graduated. Good benefits.

Cons

In order to master a testing technique, one is scheduled to perform the same test for few days in a row, very repetitive). Some days require long hours. Weekends and some holidays are also required to work.

6. "Working at Sterigenics"

Current Employee - EtO A Operator in Charlotte, NC

Pros

The pay is decent. Plenty of parking for employees. Shift work is nice when you're off. You never see any management after hours.

Cons

Safety is an issue sometimes regarding procedures. The maintenance team cuts a lot of corners. Managers aren't involved in what goes on during off shifts. A lot of our training is just a paperwork exercise. We learn very quickly how to cover our butts.

Advice to Management

Lock out the overrides for equipment. Fire any maintenance manager that shows operators how to manually operate equipment without it showing on the computer system.

7. "Great Entry Level Position"

Current Employee - Lab Technician in Itasca, IL
    Current Employee - Lab Technician in Itasca, IL

I have been working at Sterigenics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

lots of overtime, good benefits, laid back friendly atmosphere, good as a starting point

Cons

slightly disorganized, not challenging, hard to move up

8. "Love this place, BUT...."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bridgeport, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bridgeport, NJ

I have been working at Sterigenics full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

A lot of opportunities here to advance, if you apply yourself. Management is the best here. They will work with you, with what ever the issue, just be truthful.

Cons

Monthly meetings, are a bust. THEY ARE MANDATORY! Even on your days off, you have to been in. Shortest meeting ever, lasted 10mins. On my DAY OFF! And if you do not attend, you get a disciplinary point against you. Scheduling sucks as well. If I need a weekend off, I have to use my vacation time. No updates if the facility is getting 12 Hr shifts, or weekends off! We are left in the dark, with that issue. There are some departments that have this rivalry. Argument amongst argument. But it is all do to one man.

Advice to Management

Change the Monthly meeting policy, so that all employees do not get a point counted against them. If the meeting happens to fall on their day off. Change the scheduling for the shifts. Weekends off is preferred, but would settle for 12 Hr shifts. And the walls need to be brought down between departments.

9. "Hard and interesting work, unfair wages."

Current Employee - Operator in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Operator in Washington, DC

I have been working at Sterigenics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I like what we do, I like helping people by sterilizing foods, medical products, etc. I enjoy the juggling act and prioritization of when things need to be done.

Cons

Benefits used to be good, getting worse every year. Pay is bad, they brag about how successful the company is but only give a 3% max raise once a year. Considering everything we need to know, do, and being around a radiation source you would think you'd make more than $14 an hr, as the system operator.

Advice to Management

Share some of the wealth you all enjoy. We break our backs for you and this company. Give us better pay, better raises. 3% raise, once a year is..a...joke.

10. "not a company to work for"

Current Employee - EtO A Operator in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Sterigenics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

the pay is good and a lot of ot if neede

Cons

management is by far the worst i have ever seen

Advice to Management

quit and let someone with compassion do the job

"Great opportunity to expand your horizons beyond your department."

Former Employee - QA Manager in Tustin, CA
    Former Employee - QA Manager in Tustin, CA

I worked at Sterigenics full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Long-term employees create family like atmosphere. Most are willing to multitask to get the job done.

Cons

Changes at the corporate level make it not as much fun to work there anymore. More responsibilities, no more pay.

Advice to Management

While it is great that the steps are being taken to make items like training and procedure updates online, it would be appreciated if the kinks could be worked out first. A year after implementation and they are still not working right.