Sterling Commerce Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Average big company"

Current Employee - Software Developer I in Tewksbury, MA
    Current Employee - Software Developer I in Tewksbury, MA

Pros

Sterling Commerce is an easy place to lay low and collect an average paycheck. The company does have a good benefits package. Nobody ever gets fired here, they just get shuffled around to become someone else's problem.

Cons

It's a very boring place to work. Poor middle management that is satisfied with the status quo. There are some career opportunities to be had here, but it's more about politics than performance.

Advice to Management

More clearly defined strategy for the company, clearly communicated. Employee morale can be lacking depending on the department. Some of the products sold are bloated and can be difficult to install and support... while this does ensure that people keep their jobs, it also makes for an unhappy end user. There is not enough focus at this company on the end user experience, and too much focus on making "cool" tech products. Engineers have too much power into product development.

"Boring, low quality management and way too laid back."

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Lowell, MA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Lowell, MA

Pros

Many employees come in between 9-10 am and leave by 5pm. Not very heavy on learning, depending on the team that you get into. If this is what you are looking for (kids, etc.) then you might like it.

Cons

Management: Senior management is based mostly in Dublin, OH. Managers in other locations therefore wield too much power and can make or break your career. This has all the inherent problems with single person having so much power (bias, favoritism, brown nosing, etc.)

Quality of employees: The place isn't 'exciting' by any stretch. Most employees are laid back recent parents more concerned with traffic conditions on Rt. 3 to Nashua, NH than with the latest and greatest technology.

Compensation: Very low compared with local cost of living and similar jobs. Managements often says that this is because Sterling does a bad job of taking local cost of living into account and pay is based on Dublin, OH. This is little consolation for the shortchanged employee.

Promotion: The upper management in the Lowell, MA office is filled with an old band of employees. Moving up is next to impossible unless you break into this club. Even for lower levels, there is no progress chart of when you can expect to be promoted based on which goal posts. It all depends on what your immediate manager 'feels'. Since their bosses are all based in Dubin, OH you are pretty much done for if they are incompetent (not uncommon).

Training: In all my years at Sterling, I haven't received a single day of training. This leaves a strong feeling of being exploited since you aren't gaining anything from your experience except money. This, again, largely depends on your manager. I have known others to get regular training since their managers thought it wise to invest time in it.

Fun: The budget for fun in the company is a joke. For e.g. last year the company decided on spending $11 per employee (source is gravevine, so not entirely reliable but the results seemed to back it up) the one time that they took us out. You can imagine what that got us. I ended up wishing that I had brought my own lunch.

Advice to Management

Employee reviews: There is only 1 person that does this for the people below them, giving them way too much power. Employees are not judged by their peers, so brown nosing is an important skill to survive. In addition, since most senior management is not local to the managers that they manage (lowell, ma) they only have one source off all news. The people being managed have very little way or redressing problems if they arise. Moreover, the managers should be reviewed (anonymously preferably) by the people that they manage. Its not a popularity contest but if your troops think of you as incompetent, there is a serious problem.

Promotions: This needs to be hashed out better. As of now, its all on how your manager 'feels'. Again, brown nosing becomes a necessity.

Compensation and Fun: Company town halls frequently talk about how well Sterling is doing. That is great, expect that many employees are getting jibbed in the compensation that they receive. Either stop boasting how well Sterling does or share the winnings a bit. Not sure about the stinginess with 'fun budget'. The morale remains low due to this culture.

3. "Sr QA Engg"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bengaluru (India)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bengaluru (India)

Pros

Nice Company to work at

Cons

None as such, everything was good.

4. "Good Company and great solution"

Former Employee - Solutions Consultant
    Former Employee - Solutions Consultant

Pros

Industry leading distributed order management solution
    Good Management team

Cons

Lost perspective post acquisition by IBM
    Integration to the IBM culture has been difficult

Advice to Management

Retain quality people

5. "A view from Brazil: no HR skills"

Former Employee - Programmer Analyst in São Paulo, São Paulo (Brazil)
    Former Employee - Programmer Analyst in São Paulo, São Paulo (Brazil)

I worked at Sterling Commerce full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good salary and general infrastructure. Being such a huge company, you can find all kinds of people. It did offer me some level of opportunities and a little bit of openness. Overall, I've learned a lot there.

Cons

They just don't seem to care about you or your health. I'm a team player, an open book and all ears. I've worked 320 hours in a month. Yet, they fired me without any sound reasoning. I'm sure to blame as well, but as an employee I was no entrepreneur back then. A company hiring people shouldn't expect them to be perfect.

Advice to Management

Too many managers, too few humans. Of course it's all business, but don't tell me it ain't personal. It is always personal, you just can't properly communicate your view.

6. "A Supply chain product company with a wide variety of product lines which gives you end to end experience working on the supply chain development and consulting"

Former Employee - Senior Delivery Consultant in Bengaluru (India)
    Former Employee - Senior Delivery Consultant in Bengaluru (India)

I worked at Sterling Commerce full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

A small company which provides you good overall work experience

Cons

Switching roles from one profile to another

7. "QA Analyst"

Former Employee - QA Engineer in Bengaluru (India)
    Former Employee - QA Engineer in Bengaluru (India)

I worked at Sterling Commerce full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good Work culture, Good projects, good environment.

Cons

Career growth, should have good projects and flexibility.

Advice to Management

Vision, should always encourage the engineers and provide trainings

8. "Good place to start a career."

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Bengaluru (India)

I have been working at Sterling Commerce full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It is a good place to work with each others looking for each other. Not very hierarchical with reach to management very easy.

Cons

Pay. It could be better

Advice to Management

The company is now sold to IBM. This information will be irrelevant

9. "Development"

Former Employee - Software Developer I
    Former Employee - Software Developer I

I worked at Sterling Commerce full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great people, very innovative years ago, leader in B2B and MFT technology. Very loyal customer base in many markets. Brand name well known.

Cons

With acquisitions, politics and layoffs took its toll on people. The ability to innovate became a lost art. Professional services work were presented as product extensions. International presense weak while senior management's expectations were terribly unrealistic.

Advice to Management

Listen to customers not what market analysts write

10. "It was a very good company to work for"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Bengaluru (India)

I have been working at Sterling Commerce full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

First and foremost: A great team, not only in terms of work, but everything around it as well. Great team events, contests etc. In short Sterling Commerce wasn't just work, it was a community where people worked, played and hung out as well.

Cons

You tell someone you work for Sterling Commerce, and they say - at that construction company?

Advice to Management

Please come back to existence.