Sterling Computers Corporation Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Bellevue, NE
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Bellevue, NE

I have been working at Sterling Computers Corporation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Recruiter, Project Manager, HR, and others are great people. They are very helpful and easy to talk to. Great benefits best as I can tell. 15 PTO plus 6 federal holidays. Good salary.

Cons

Really none. I do not know what the going rate for employee health insurance, but I feel its high.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!!!!!

2. "Good company"

Current Employee - Network Engineer in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Network Engineer in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Sterling Computers Corporation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Above average pay. Great people to work with. Small company, but has a big impact. I get work with the coolest stuff every day.

Cons

Hours are crazy. I consistently work 60 hrs a week, and have worked multiple 100 hour weeks this year. Travel is pretty brutal as I'm gone 70% of the time.

Advice to Management

I work for Andrew Waithaka. I couldn't be happier. His is one of two bosses that I have ever had in my life that I truly respect and enjoy working for.

3. "Sterling Computers"

Former Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Falls Church, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Falls Church, VA

I worked at Sterling Computers Corporation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great company to work for. Actively submits candidates for opportunities where skill sets are a great match and compensation levels are above average. Highly recommended.

Cons

Possibly being a bit more proactive in personal communications with employees when working in a remote location. Otherwise really no complaints.

Advice to Management

Perhaps schedule face-to-face meetings more often when time permits to interact with employees in out of state locations.

"Providing some contrast to other reviews"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, NE
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, NE

I worked at Sterling Computers Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Challenging projects to work (in the Consulting unit)
    - There were a lot of skilled professionals on the team that I thoroughly enjoyed working with
    - Founded upon a strong and proven model that generates huge IT Reseller revenues
    - Has real potential to transform into an amazing company

Cons

- Although Sterling’s beginnings were strong, it is struggling with its evolution beyond being an IT Reseller to the government. I witnessed a lot of lost opportunities because there was a lack of agreement on how to move forward in the other areas Sterling has branched into over the last several years. Although its reselling business unit remains pretty strong and consistent, the other “units” seem to be struggling greatly, evidenced by low retention and high turnover. The word is that the Service side of the business is not a “job shop,” yet they have operated like one in the past. Perhaps with their latest acquisition of a health care IT services company, that is all changing. But if past performance is any indication, I’d proceed with caution.
    - Sterling still struggles to find a unified identity: a defense IT reseller, a commercial and defense IT reseller, a defense IT consulting company, or maybe a health care IT consulting company, or ... ?
    - The Consulting unit founded in ~2010 imploded by the end of 2012 due to excessive focus on a few major clients, and festering personnel conflicts that should have been more actively dealt with by executive management. The consequences? An outstanding IT consulting team was scattered to the wind, and much opportunity and potential was squandered.
    - A family owned company comes with family politics … ‘nuff said.

Advice to Management

- Leadership starts at the top - Effective communication at the boardroom level AND with your employees is essential to being an true leader
    - Try to treat all of you employees with a similar level of respect, not just the ones in the “inner circle”
    - Dictatorships come at a cost – the business may survive, but it will never thrive
    - The increased rate of employee defection means something; I recommend the executives do a little more soul searching

"The people at Sterling make this a great company to work for."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, NE

Pros

The management staff, from mid- to senior-level encourage professional, as well as personal, growth. They build a culture of excellence across all aspects of the company, from human resources to sales and consulting solutions.

Cons

Because Sterling is a small company, its benefits package does not compare to that of larger companies. While it offers competitive life insurance and leave packages, Sterling's health insurance plan costs about as much as private insurance.

"Very good work environment. Great people that work here."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norfolk, NE

Pros

Good benefits, very flexible, great people

Cons

I would like more reviews.

Advice to Management

talk to individuals that are abusing Sterlings policies.

"Most technically challenging job I've had."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, NE

Pros

Great group to work with.

Cons

Benefits could be better, but I've seen worse.

Advice to Management

None

8. "My exp. at Sterling Computers has been great due to their excellent career & training opportunities and great people."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairfax, VA

Pros

Excellent career opportunities, great free and paid trainings which comes highly encouraged, competitive salary and benefits, and great people to work with,

Cons

No satellite offices in DC Metro yet. I prefer to have the option of working in an office during the week when not on a project but unfortunately, we don't have an office in DC Metro yet. But its coming soon!

"Thankful"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Bellevue, NE
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Bellevue, NE

Pros

Ability to move up
    Training
    Great management
    Enjoyable work environment
    Sterling invests in their employees
    Supportive management
    Family first mentality

Cons

The medical benefits are not good

Advice to Management

I love working here!

10. "It is challenging, and fun we are always learning something new!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norfolk, NE

Pros

It is a very relaxed environment. Everyone is so friendly, and willing to help you with any problems you are having.

Cons

Things change so quickly that sometimes it is overwhelming, but that is how the business goes. You have to adapt to succeed.