Sterling Computers Corporation Reviews | Glassdoor

Jean Marie Moore

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Sales"

I have been working at Sterling Computers Corporation full-time

Pros

Good place to work overall. They strive to balance work with home life especially during the busy season.

Cons

Large pay disparity between inside and outside sales positions.

2. "Good company"

Current Employee - Network Engineer in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Network Engineer in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Sterling Computers Corporation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Above average pay. Great people to work with. Small company, but has a big impact. I get work with the coolest stuff every day.

Cons

Hours are crazy. I consistently work 60 hrs a week, and have worked multiple 100 hour weeks this year. Travel is pretty brutal as I'm gone 70% of the time.

Advice to Management

I work for Andrew Waithaka. I couldn't be happier. His is one of two bosses that I have ever had in my life that I truly respect and enjoy working for.

3. "Sales Opportunities"

Pros

Excellent infrastructure for sales growth.

Cons

There are literally no cons at this company.

4. "Great team"

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Sterling Computers Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

One of the best companies I have ever worked for. Friendly people, hardworking, collaborative environment that acknowledges and rewards success from the top down.

Cons

A fast growing company knows it needs to address policy and process maturity

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work include the incoming professional staff, diversify experience, and embrace new ideas

5. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Bellevue, NE
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Bellevue, NE

I have been working at Sterling Computers Corporation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Recruiter, Project Manager, HR, and others are great people. They are very helpful and easy to talk to. Great benefits best as I can tell. 15 PTO plus 6 federal holidays. Good salary.

Cons

Really none. I do not know what the going rate for employee health insurance, but I feel its high.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!!!!!

6. "Great opportunity"

I have been working at Sterling Computers Corporation full-time

Pros

Great opportunity for self starters

Cons

Growing pains
    Departmental interaction needs to continue to get better

7. "Sterling Computers"

Former Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Falls Church, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Falls Church, VA

I worked at Sterling Computers Corporation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great company to work for. Actively submits candidates for opportunities where skill sets are a great match and compensation levels are above average. Highly recommended.

Cons

Possibly being a bit more proactive in personal communications with employees when working in a remote location. Otherwise really no complaints.

Advice to Management

Perhaps schedule face-to-face meetings more often when time permits to interact with employees in out of state locations.

"Providing some contrast to other reviews"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, NE
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, NE

I worked at Sterling Computers Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Challenging projects to work (in the Consulting unit)
    - There were a lot of skilled professionals on the team that I thoroughly enjoyed working with
    - Founded upon a strong and proven model that generates huge IT Reseller revenues
    - Has real potential to transform into an amazing company

Cons

- Although Sterling’s beginnings were strong, it is struggling with its evolution beyond being an IT Reseller to the government. I witnessed a lot of lost opportunities because there was a lack of agreement on how to move forward in the other areas Sterling has branched into over the last several years. Although its reselling business unit remains pretty strong and consistent, the other “units” seem to be struggling greatly, evidenced by low retention and high turnover. The word is that the Service side of the business is not a “job shop,” yet they have operated like one in the past. Perhaps with their latest acquisition of a health care IT services company, that is all changing. But if past performance is any indication, I’d proceed with caution.
    - Sterling still struggles to find a unified identity: a defense IT reseller, a commercial and defense IT reseller, a defense IT consulting company, or maybe a health care IT consulting company, or ... ?
    - The Consulting unit founded in ~2010 imploded by the end of 2012 due to excessive focus on a few major clients, and festering personnel conflicts that should have been more actively dealt with by executive management. The consequences? An outstanding IT consulting team was scattered to the wind, and much opportunity and potential was squandered.
    - A family owned company comes with family politics … ‘nuff said.

Advice to Management

- Leadership starts at the top - Effective communication at the boardroom level AND with your employees is essential to being an true leader
    - Try to treat all of you employees with a similar level of respect, not just the ones in the “inner circle”
    - Dictatorships come at a cost – the business may survive, but it will never thrive
    - The increased rate of employee defection means something; I recommend the executives do a little more soul searching

"Sterling offers many opportunities for growth and challenge"

Pros

Invests in their staff
    Great benefits
    Flexible PTO
    Creative competitive environment
    Provide state of the art work environment

Cons

People might feel there might be a lack of communication, Sterling wants you to be creative in attaining greatness.

Advice to Management

Communicate more on intranet for staff needs, expand the branding strategy on the web, have more brainstorming sessions internally

"A great place to work where there is a lot of possibility to work hard and succeed."

Pros

Sterling has great values and the majority of people work hard and as a team. Sales and engineers strive to help customers meet thier goals and exceed their expectations. Sterling has incredibly talented people running the business and hired employees.

Cons

Sterling could share and communicate important company strategy information more regularly. Communiting more often about the business goals and strategies in the different business units would help everyone. Sterling lacks in formal process communication. Sterling should communicate strategic long term plans for the business.

Advice to Management

Setting the expectation of yearly performance reviews would be beneficial. Regularly communicating the structure and goals of the different teams would be beneficial.