Sterling Engineering Reviews in Chicago, IL | Glassdoor

Chicago, IL Area

4.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Rama Kavaliauskas

1. "Sterling Engineering Services"

Former Freelancer - Product Development Engineer in Aurora, IL
    Former Freelancer - Product Development Engineer in Aurora, IL

I worked at Sterling Engineering (More than a year)

Pros

I reached out to Sterling to help me land an engineering role. I had the pleasure to work with recruiter, Alex Kern. After initial meetings he had 3 interviews lined up within two weeks! The process was smooth and effortless. I ended up accepting a 6 month contract position that led to a full-time position. Being on contract allowed for weekly pay which was a nice benefit.

Cons

Very little time off through out the duration of my contract. In 6 months of work I accrued only 2 vacation days.

Advice to Management

Revise time off.

2. "Staffing Agent"

Former Employee - Receiving Clerk in Westchester, IL
    Former Employee - Receiving Clerk in Westchester, IL

I worked at Sterling Engineering full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They are by far the best staffing organization that I have been involved with.

Cons

There is still somewhat of a disconnect with being a contract employee.

Advice to Management

Have weekly reporting on the job situation to target issues or problems.

3. "IT Recruiter"

Current Employee - IT Recruiter in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - IT Recruiter in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Sterling Engineering full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A tribe driven by its strong bond, passion, and loyalty between across the organization. Everyone is connected and shares the culture and values. Most people have been here forever, literally some have been here since before I was born. I think the best thing that has happened to Sterling, besides it’s conception and production of dippers, is that it became employee owned. I joined the company last year and I felt part of the team from day one. Another thing that the team structure and the level of collaboration and trust we have for the team is amazing. I don’t think I ever felt part of a team so comfortably and easily in such a short time. The management is always concerned about us. They feed you until you literally explode! I gained 7 pounds in first 2 weeks since joining and 17 pound now but who is counting.

The management does their best to help you. The only problem I have ever faced in Sterling and it has nothing to do with Sterling is my commute. Management allowed me to switch my time around to help shave some commute time of my hand. Also our team lead fights tooth and nail for us so every time we have any issue he will speak in our behalf !

Cons

The complaint I have is the size of the fridge we have, there is no fridge space. At least two times a week, I think almost everyone has to move others food around.

Advice to Management

New fridge might be helpful

4. "Senior Technical Recruiter -- Current Employee"

Current Employee - Senior Technical Recruiter in Westchester, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Technical Recruiter in Westchester, IL

I have been working at Sterling Engineering full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Sterling Engineering has been an Excellent Company to work at! I've actually worked for Sterling for a total of 4 years and am a current employee who has been re-hired. I can speak from experience and be completely honest the best parts about the company would be the people / culture. Our CEO is always positive and gives off an energetic vibe. Our President is one of the most caring, hard-working and loyal people I've ever met. Our VP's have all helped me out in my career and development and our VP of HR has kept an open door policy to listen to suggestions and concerns. Personally my interactions with both the President and VP of HR have always been very positive and you can tell they care because they will always give you the time of day to meet. I've always felt like I've been able to voice suggestions and request meetings with senior management and as busy as they are with their jobs they have always taken the time out to hear idea's I've had and are open to suggestions to improve processes. It is too often that we see reviews that are only negative because when everything is going well people feel like that is expected and wouldn't write a review. I've seen and read some of the past reviews and I would recommend current or past employees to voice concerns or suggestions directly to the management team rather than go online and attempt to bash the company. I’ve personally witnessed employees that have struggled with performance but have been kept on staff because the management team actually cares. In any organization whether it be Google or Apple there will always be processes and systems that can be improved and it is necessary to continue to get better and we will only continue to do so by voicing idea's in the right channels. What I've noticed is with all companies there are always a few people that are negative and try and ruin it for the rest of us. Sterling has prize packages and get-a-ways that other companies could not come close to, we also are constantly getting food catered and are involved in plenty of outside events to keep us active. Our Gym Membership is so heavily discounted it’s basically paid for and it’s right in our building which is awesome. We have a great group and the relationships with our clients are long standing as we've been around for over 45 years unlike most engineering/staffing firms. My advice for newer or prospective employees coming in or looking at Sterling would be to get in and work hard because it will surely be rewarded well I can personally attest to that.

Cons

It would be unfair if I didn't have anything to write in this section so I'll have to throw out my only one… I am a big believer in having a few days a month to be able to work from home if your job type would allow you to do so. I believe it helps out especially for Parents who may have a sick child or spouse or even for times when the weather is bad and it's going to be a terrible commute to come in to work that day. It would be great to see 2-3 days a month of work-from-home days to use at will on those days when you can still work but it may be more convenient to not have to physically be in the building. The benefit of it would be helpful in saving vacation/sick time to use for true vacations. (On a side note, I have suggested this in a face to face meeting and it was well received, I would not hide behind my computer to make this suggestion). That being said I've actually been given the opportunity to work from home at times that were necessary so this shouldn't be seen as a complaint but rather a suggestion to have it part of the regular schedule.

5. "If recruiting is for you this is a good place to work"

Former Employee - Technical Recruiter in Highland, IN
    Former Employee - Technical Recruiter in Highland, IN

I worked at Sterling Engineering full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great training, good management, and good people. Compensation program was generous and the Account Managers have good relationships with their clients which leads to quality orders to work on. The leadership is patient and understanding as long as you have a great attitude and show you want to be there. When I finally found out recruiting was not for me (due to work life balance and travel distance) they worked with me to make my transition extremely smooth.

Cons

Healthcare was kind of expensive for the family plan. Very metrics driven which could lead to long hours and stress. Work life balance is very tough to manage in this career. Since its an open office environment, it can get pretty noisy which could be a distraction.

Advice to Management

Sterling is a fantastic company with good leadership. But you need to work on getting better healthcare rates for internal employees. Make paying direct hire commissions more of a priority. If the contract is a net 30, recruiters should be paid their commissions in that timetable. Hire a Collection Specialist to collect any past due payments from clients.

6. "Gets you in the door"

Former Contractor - Quality Engineer in Chicago, IL
    Former Contractor - Quality Engineer in Chicago, IL

I worked at Sterling Engineering as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Great if you're looking for your first job out of college.
    Flexible time as you punch in hours but really depends on your assignment.
    Recruiter is friendly and helpful. Their VP is okay too.

Cons

Benefits are very bare bone, if you're young, might as well not buy their insurance.

Raises are nonexistent if not requested, even if given it does not even match the cost of living.

They do no have much pull to negotiate on your behalf, their customer is king of course.

Advice to Management

Back up your contractors a bit and take an initiative to get them a annual raise, even if it's based on merits and check in on how they are doing once a year at least.

7. "Sterling Engineering Internship"

Former Employee - Intern in Westchester, IL
    Former Employee - Intern in Westchester, IL

Pros

I completed my second year of interning with Serling Engineering over this last summer. Through this internship I was able to learn a lot about the hiring process and what companies look for in their new hires. All of the Managers and the Recruiters did a wonderful job of finding great talent for positions while creating a solid relationship with candidates showing them that they cared about finding them a good future with a new company.

Cons

Open office with no walls can be a pro, but it can also be a con due to how loud it can get at times. Not always the best while trying to speak with candidates.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

8. "Broken Promises Galore"

Former Employee - Team Leader in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Team Leader in Chicago, IL

I worked at Sterling Engineering (More than 5 years)

Pros

Weekly Pay
    Sterling was pretty much hands off unless to discipline or make fake promises of new & exciting opportunities that never happened
    On site management may vary, but location had an attitude of Sterling doesn't need to know, when it came to getting paid for Sterling unapproved days off

Cons

Zero pay raises unless you present your case
    Zero structure on disciplinary actions
    Very hard to get a hold of people if you need something, but they will move heaven & earth to try to get a hold of you for the most miniscule reason
    Makes promises about opportunities or advancement but conveniently forget when asked about said items later on
    Does not recognize Contractor approved days off
    No sick, personal time. Vacation time has to be earned
    More willing to hire someone new for a position for that head hunter bonus.
    Would never EVER recommend working with or for them to any friends or family.

Advice to Management

Seek out employees that have either left or been laid off for feedback on how to improve. Stay true to promises said. Open more benefits to contractors.

9. "Summer Intern"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Westchester, IL
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Westchester, IL

I worked at Sterling Engineering as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

--> Friendliness of the management resonates within the entire staff.
    --> Very welcoming environment. Open work space and office activities keep the mood light.
    --> Genuine excitement over new business opportunities creates organic motivation within the various teams.
    --> Very flexible in terms of accommodating employee schedules.

Cons

--> Meetings can seem to drag on sometimes (I imagine this to be the case everywhere).
    --> Work can get repetitive at times.

Advice to Management

--> Maybe institute separate team meetings in the morning instead of the current configuration - might make it faster and more dynamic. Memos could be sent out from each team so that there would be a reference of all new information.

10. "My career at Sterling Engineering"

Current Employee - IT Manager in Elmhurst, IL
    Current Employee - IT Manager in Elmhurst, IL

I have been working at Sterling Engineering full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great place to work. Great management and over all a good staff with a solid culture.

Cons

Once I go to manage my department there is no where else to go. No chance of upward mobility.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you guys do. It was a great place to work and I wish you only the best.