Sterling Jewelers Analyst Reviews | Glassdoor

1.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Sterling Jewelers President & CEO Mark Light
Mark Light

Pros
  • you get a decent discount on jewelry (in 28 reviews)

• Good benefits compared to independent jewelers, Rapid promotion (due to very high staff turnover) (in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • It is sometimes difficult to have work/life balance (in 32 reviews)

• Overtime during busy season and the long hours, (in 24 reviews)

"Lots of talent in the organization management lacks knowledge to leverage talent. -corporate office associate."

I have been working at Sterling Jewelers full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits package and job security. To get fired from Sterling you have to be a complete screw up. Flexibility for salaries employees.

Cons

Let me start off by saying there are some decent managers. But the majority of them lack vision or drive to take initiative and lead there team. There are too many managers who have been at Sterling for so long that they fail to recognize there is a different way to approach things other than the sterling way. Department heads are so petty that they hoard information and create an environment where we are competing against each other.

The pay is fine for Akron. If you compare your position to others in the same field in Cleveland or Columbus or even cinci. Its grotesquely low.

Advice to Management

Reevaluate how you currently do things and see if there is a better way to approach. Take a second look at you associates they may have a skill that you find useful.

2. "Analyst"

Current Employee - Analyst in Akron, OH

I have been working at Sterling Jewelers full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Discount on jewelry is decent

Cons

termination of long term employees w/o notice. Beautifying buildings in Akron & Dallas yet eliminating positions or forcing demotions. So much for being a people company who happens to sell jewelry. A people company wouldn't leave their people w/o insurance and a pay check after 20+ years of loyalty.

Advice to Management

Take volunteers for lay offs or last in first out. Call back displaced employee's before hiring new ones

"Awful awful AWFUL EXPERIENCE"

Former Employee - Inventory Analyst in Fairlawn, OH
    Former Employee - Inventory Analyst in Fairlawn, OH

I worked at Sterling Jewelers full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Jewelry Discount, Casual Dress Code
    Paid fairly well compared to other places

Cons

-Work-life balance is totally non-existent for salaried employees.
    -Very little training and by very little I mean NONE!
    - amount of meetings = UNBEARABLE! How can I be expected to get my work completed if my manager and director have me in meetings ALL day!
    -Some managers were EXTREME micromanagers meaning they would ask you to work on something then come over to your desk/call you in 5-10 minute intervals to ask if it were done!
    -OnBoarding Is awful. I sat at my desk for an entire week with nothing to do, the person that was supposed to be training me went to another country and no one thought ahead that maybe the new employee would need to be trained by one of the other 30-40 analysts!

Advice to Management

Work on the Onboarding of your new employees.
    Decrease the amount of meetings- sometimes we had meetings to discuss planning another meeting!
    Everyone is not cut out to be a leader, some managers were such micromanagers that they cause the employees reporting to them to take drastic actions!

"Systems Analyst"

Former Employee - Systems Analyst in Akron, OH
    Former Employee - Systems Analyst in Akron, OH

I worked at Sterling Jewelers full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

cafeteria is phenomenal, the people are great, bonus structure and freebies are pretty good, work atmosphere not overly pushy, good culture.

Cons

When you get hired, rarely do you do what they hire you for. I was hired as a programmer (systems analyst) but I was there for almost a year and never touched the code. I wasn't ever going to touch the code either. I became a glorified research assistant for the project manager. So I left for a job where I am coding now. The work/home life balance is difficult. They say you can move shifts to accommodate doctor appointments, etc but then you get the stink eye when you come in.

Advice to Management

Make sure you hire people with the correct job description. The turnover because of this is pretty extreme. Be honest with what the job entails and you will get better candidates and hires out of it.

5. "Seven years at sterling"

I have been working at Sterling Jewelers full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Decent place to work, good benefits, bonus depending on company performance, stock options plan to full time employees.

Cons

You are expected to put in long hours without any comp time.

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Programmer Analyst in Fairlawn, OH
    Current Employee - Senior Programmer Analyst in Fairlawn, OH

I have been working at Sterling Jewelers full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great pay, great benefits. I was hired into a job that I barely qualified for and was able to get promoted and increase my salary by 30% within two years.

Cons

Promotions seem to be very politically driven. It sometimes seems to be more about who you know than what you know but that is common in many places.

Advice to Management

Keep improving. Find out you're employees career goals and help them strive to meet those goals.

7. "a well managed company"

I have been working at Sterling Jewelers full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

good one in the retail business

Cons

politics is still there, like many other places

Advice to Management

Can we outsource some senior positions?

"After all the harassment,bullying and endless hours of honest hard work, I just Quit!"

Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Fairlawn, OH
    Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Fairlawn, OH

I worked at Sterling Jewelers full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Jewelry Discount (Have u looked at their collection ?)
    Benefits
    Salary

Cons

- I am highly qualified and capable sincere worker
    - That was not acceptable by management and they made me miserable
    - I kept strong and tried to last longer.
    - Acts of harassment , bullying were done.
    - I quit

Advice to Management

Management is not open to any advice. So who cares

9. "Sterling Jewelers provides a relaxed, professional working environment, but needs to let IT innovation take place."

Current Employee - PC Support Analyst in Fairlawn, OH
    Current Employee - PC Support Analyst in Fairlawn, OH

Pros

Relaxed corporate culture make this a relatively stress-free work environment compared to other large corporations. The management is generally competent, friendly, and eager to provide feedback on work performance.

Cons

IT department stuck using practices and procedures that were great for 15 years ago, management that does not want to push for change. Application developers are largely unaware of any practices that have surfaced within the last 10 years or so and do very little to attempt to educate themselves otherwise. Certain IT Directors see themselves as "above" other groups and will often refer to themselves as "dollars" and other workers as "dimes", which does not entirely adhere to Sterling's "One Team, One Mission" statement.

Advice to Management

Allow the IT department to "lead the way" with innovation more than it does now. Be less afraid of change and reap the benefits that technology can provide.