Sterling Payment Technologies Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.4
Paul L Hunter

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Good company to work for"

I have been working at Sterling Payment Technologies full-time

Pros

Laid back atmosphere
    Flexible management

Cons

Smaller company means very fluid practices. One day we will handle something one way, the next a different

Nov 9, 2017 – Social Media Community Manager

Thanks for your review.

2. "I enjoyed working here"

I worked at Sterling Payment Technologies full-time

Pros

Great place to work with great people running the company

Cons

I can't think of any

Nov 6, 2017 – Social Media Community Manager

Thank you for your review.

3. "Anonymous"

I have been working at Sterling Payment Technologies full-time

Pros

Good co-workers and some managers

Cons

Low pay / in transition and uncertainty

Advice to Management

Take care of hard working employees

Oct 16, 2017 – Social Media Community Manager

Thank you for your feedback. Good co-workers and managers are what makes a workplace enjoyable.

4. "Has Potential"

I have been working at Sterling Payment Technologies part-time

Pros

Work schedule, team, easy of work, team, work schedule

Cons

Very little to non-existent departmental interaction. Very compartmentalized

Advice to Management

Find ways to create more open interaction with other departments and co-workers.

Jul 10, 2017 – Social Media Community Manager

Thank you for your feedback. We've started some new initiatives to foster company-wide communication. It's exciting to see the increased employee engagement.

"Great experience and growth opportunities plus the management team is open and flexible to new ideas."

I have been working at Sterling Payment Technologies (More than 3 years)

Pros

The payments industry is ever evolving and always on the technology fast track. Employees work together as a team to get projects complete.

Cons

Health care benefits are too pricey. 401k is not matched. Building is old. Certain managers micro- manage exempt employees who are professionally capable. They should stop interfering and allow them to do their job.

Advice to Management

Processes need to come together as a corporate standard. Executive sales leadership should be committed to effectively facilitating efforts towards a common goal. Lead employees with integrity, respect and a moral compass.

May 1, 2017 – Social Media Community Manager

Thank you for your years of great work and the sound feedback. There have been many positive changes recently and we couldn't be more excited to continue that improvement.

"Sterling Company with a Sterling Reputation"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Sterling Payment Technologies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are a lot of opportunities at Sterling, especially with how fast they are growing. It is a thoughtful company, showing care and attention to each and every employee. Many people have worked here for years which should be a testament to what a solid company they are. They are industry leaders, so you can feel good knowing that you are working for a company that has positioned itself among the best of the business.

The atmosphere is inviting. There are multiple departments and Sterling has been working hard at bridging together the various components that make up their company. Customer service is part of the philosophy and that extends well past the Client Services department.

Fun events for the staff that foster team building. I see Sterling as a company that is continuously looking for ways to grow and change and move forward.

Cons

I do not have any cons at this time.

Apr 10, 2017 – Social Media Community Manager

Thanks for your feedback. Your positive outlook is a great benefit to the workplace.

"Customer service"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Tampa, FL

I worked at Sterling Payment Technologies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

None worse company to work for, especially in technical support, they do NOT pay what you have to go thru at all!

Cons

Low pay, shady managers, office gossip, everyone sleeps with everyone , very high turn around

Advice to Management

Stop lying to employees, pay more, job not worth the trouble

Apr 3, 2017 – Social Media Community Manager

We appreciate your feedback.

"Technical Support Representative"

Pros

Good company to work for

Cons

This is a call center 24 X 7

Advice to Management

Take care of the troops first

Oct 4, 2016 – Social Media Community Manager

Thank you for your review. Our technical support representatives certainly are a vital group. Thank you for the work you do.

"Underrated company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

Pros

This company has come a long way in the last few years. It's really growing and it's cool to be a part of. My opinion of Sterling has improved.

Cons

A new building would be great!

Advice to Management

You're doing something right.

Sep 20, 2016 – Social Media Community Manager

Thank you for the positive feedback. We're proud of our progress and glad to have you here.

"In and Out"

I worked at Sterling Payment Technologies (Less than a year)

Pros

Starting off with the pros of Sterling- the recruiter that hired me is TOP NOTCH.  She is sharp, dynamic and professional. There is not one person that has gone through the hiring process that HASN’T raved about her.  Her energy is infectious and welcoming.   Sterling, take note- you need more of what your recruiter brings to the table, not only personally but you need to fix the problem areas that undo all of their work and effort in getting talent in the door.

The other pro was my direct report, who is one of the most positive, pleasant and hardworking individuals that I have ever had the pleasure to work with.  One of their traits that needs to be recognized is their loyalty to the company and our department despite failed management.  Not only did they survive managers that were condescending and used abusive language which I was able to witness within 3 weeks of coming onboard but also survived my fickleness towards a company that did not hold people accountable for such actions.  This is where Sterling needs to stop the bleeding- put people in place that belong in management and understand their impact to company culture and employee retention otherwise it will be a domino effect.

Cons

Unfortunately, I wish that the pros outweighed the cons.

Let me start off by stating that I think Sterling could be a fantastic company if they honed in on what should be their most important asset: their people.

After 90 days of being employed by Sterling, I’ve made quite a few observations;  their lack of culture, true company values and ethical leadership practices are ultimately what will lead to their demise .  If you read the other Glassdoor reviews, the message that is congruent throughout is that Sterling has potential but there is a lot of change that needs to happen in order for them to attract and retain the talent that they hire.

As far as cons, there the usual pain points that come with a smaller company- Benefits are costly, PTO policy and work/life balance is outdated compared to most major companies, lack of tools/technology in keeping people productive and working ‘smarter not harder’ is both challenging and frustrating, not to mention the environment/facilities of the building isn’t the best. Granted, its an old building but some floors have strong smells of mildew, there was a problem with ants (that I was bitten by) and it’s a gamble on whether the elevators will be in operation.

Mind you, these traits could be overlooked and wouldn’t stand out quite as much if there were solid examples of positive leadership within the organization.  The only thing that I have been witness to in a short amount of time is that leadership is allowed to be abusive, condescending and there doesn't appear to be any corrective action for habitual offenders- and it’s not just in one given area, its scattered throughout the company.   In addressing  such issues, the responses that I’ve received is ‘that’s how they are’  or ‘they have a reputation for being that way’ and it’s swept under the rug.

The reason I’m leaving is the exact same reason these “leaders” are staying here.  Nobody cares to correct the problem, therefore allowing talent to walk out the door.

Advice to Management

TAKE ACTION. Do not continue to sweep inexcusable behavior under the rug. You are wasting the time of your HR department in having to recruit potential candidates that will have to replace within months of hire. You are aware of those in leadership positions that have 'reputations' for being difficult to work yet they continue to poison the well.

Oct 4, 2016 – Social Media Community Manager

We are very sorry to hear about your poor experience here at Sterling, but we thank you for communicating this to us. We are excited about our potential and the improvement we’re making daily. Our HR... More