SterlingBackcheck Reviews in Independence, OH | Glassdoor

1.9
Clare Hart
1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The work/life balance expectations have been improving with addition of Clare to EC (in 7 reviews)

• Good work/life balance, nice people (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • In the last 5 years it's been constant corporate growing pains (in 8 reviews)

• huge lack of communication between management and the little people (in 4 reviews)

"Not really great with training."

Current Employee - Verification Specialist in Independence, OH

I have been working at SterlingBackcheck full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Cool events, Pay not so bad, People are ok to work with. I've never worked a Saturday or Sunday.

Cons

There is basically NO training. They want you to look at work instructions all day. If you aren't in with the team leads or supervisors then it's pretty lonely and basically everything else. It is very stressful.

Advice to Management

Treat everyone the same.

"Worker Bee"

Current Employee - Worker Bee in Independence, OH
    Current Employee - Worker Bee in Independence, OH

Pros

Nice people.
    Easily developed friendships
    Willing to listen
    Try to make employees feel appreciated
    Relaxed work environment

Cons

No room for growth
    Backbiting
    Confused in policy enforcement
    Feeling of being watched
    Exhausting

Advice to Management

I love my job, but I feel stuck. HR is...selective when it comes to how employees are treated.

3. "Client Services, Team Lead"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Independence, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Independence, OH

Pros

The co-workers are wonderful! The whole office is supportive and works together to get things done.

Cons

Constant changes once acquired were challenging.

Advice to Management

Continue developing promising employees and promote from within.

"Good people....Bad Company"

Current Employee - Dispute Resolution Specialist in Independence, OH
    Current Employee - Dispute Resolution Specialist in Independence, OH

Pros

Free parking. Nice people to work with. Coffee included. Occasional office activities.

Cons

Company outsources everything. Lies to clients. Poor pay and overworked.

Advice to Management

Get it together before the company sinks.

"Boring......"

Current Employee - Verification Specialist in Independence, OH

I have been working at SterlingBackcheck full-time

Pros

Overtime (if you really like to grind). Friendly employees. Standard M-F. Weekends are rare. Flex time to show up to work and flex time for lunch.

Cons

Sometimes I feel like this is a concentration camps of some sorts. If you're cool with managers, supervisors and team leads you're free to walk around, talk to everyone even slack on your work. For those that do not suck up to management you must maintain your numbers, don't talk to your neighbors, cannot get up to stretch your legs because it's considered as an "excessive break" and you must pick up the slack of the ones who becomes "buddy-buddy" with the management team.

The NY Office closes for severe weather, yet the Ohio Office is forced to drive in 10 inches of snow or sub-zero temperatures in the winter.

Bonuses are given to some and not all. you might think you're owed a bonus but that's up to managers to have that approved. Raises (up to) 4% annually. In 2 years I received two raises a total 37 cents.

Layoffs happen often I'm told. In my two years with the company, it's happened once. Unsure about the severance but I sure know all the work we had to do after laying off the class of 2014.

It's hard to see promotions in our level. There are people on the team that's been here for 10-20+ years that are stuck in their positions.

Advice to Management

Humble yourselves a little bit, stop looking down on employees. Don't do (on the clock) what you don't want us to do on the clock.

"Horrendous training"

Former Employee - Dispute Resolution Specialist in Independence, OH
    Former Employee - Dispute Resolution Specialist in Independence, OH

I worked at SterlingBackcheck full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice facilities, plenty of free parking.

Cons

Abysmal training experience. No manuals, no standards. "Errors" are tracked but they are assessed on a case by case basis so you never know what an error is until you make one. Unfriendly, unhelpful coworkers. No sincere interaction between management and staff. Anything that is contrary to management perception will get the staff member labeled a problem.

Advice to Management

Accept that you have some very serious management problems and handle them. You have people in management roles that may be good technicians but lousy managers. Technical ability doesn't indicate that someone has leadership ability.

7. "A Future That Looks Bright"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Independence, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Independence, OH

I have been working at SterlingBackcheck full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There seems to be a lot of positive change on the horizon at Sterling. Projects focusing on establishing needed infrastructure and employee development are very exciting to see.

Cons

With the quick growth through acquisitions and constant change there have been growing pains leading to low morale with some longer term employees. However, the company is showing that it is learning from its past pitfalls and is working on establishing the needed infrastructure for future success.

Advice to Management

As Sterling moves into the future, it should further focus on investing and developing its employees to help keep its top talent.

8. "Exciting and innovative company on the forefront of a major industry trend."

Current Employee - Vice President Sales in Independence, OH
    Current Employee - Vice President Sales in Independence, OH

I have been working at SterlingBackcheck full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Company is dedicated to become a forerunner in the industry sector. Company is dedicated to growing the business and is bringing in the resources to do it right

Cons

Going thru some growing pains now. Our resources in the verification process can be improved. Customer service is very good, but needs constant improvement. This is one of the most important aspects in keeping your current customers vs. always focusing on bringing in new ones.

Advice to Management

We need to review and improve the Verification process. We need to provide our customers with a response and not an incomplete answer where the burden to complete a verification rests with them.

Also, the commission process is not accurate and the ability to quickly rectify questions/concerns is difficult with the Mumbai team.

9. "Great place to grow and be successful!"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Independence, OH
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Independence, OH

I have been working at SterlingBackcheck full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Sterling is not slowing down - we are dedicated and committed to company and associate growth and will be the largest background screening provider in the end!

Cons

Sterling is very fast paced - not neccessarily a con however this is not a training ground.

"Horrible"

Current Employee - Public Records Specialist in Independence, OH
    Current Employee - Public Records Specialist in Independence, OH

I have been working at SterlingBackcheck full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Vacation home in Florida that could be used by employees free of charge

Cons

Low pay, company likes to buy other companies, come in and lay off workers, then outsource those workers' jobs to India.

Advice to Management

Managers do play favorites. Get rid of the managers and start over. The majority of employees do not respect the managers and the company knows it.