Steve & Kate's Camp Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.5
Steve & Kate Susskind

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Enjoyed working with kids, staff was all really great (in 9 reviews)

• Free lunch, though repetitive lunch (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • two counselors for 30 kids in a group is not always effective (in 8 reviews)

• Beyond those folks, no one is safe (in 2 reviews)

1. "Staff Member"

Pros

Nice environment to work in

Cons

It depends on the manager

Nov 6, 2017 – Head of Family Experience

Glad you enjoyed working with us! We encourage staff to speak directly to your directors about needs around what would make the job better. Especially for part-time / subs, it's important to ask... More

2. "Camp Counselor"

I worked at Steve & Kate's Camp part-time

Pros

Lots of collaboration, fun environment

Cons

Bad management who would always yell at employees

Nov 20, 2017 – People Ops

So sorry to hear that you felt like management at your site wasn't supportive and professional (we don't consider yelling professional at all!). If you'd like to provide more specific feedback about... More

3. "Counselor"

I worked at Steve & Kate's Camp part-time

Pros

Working with kids, forming friendships with other counselors

Cons

Directors were not always clear about expectations and duties

Oct 30, 2017 – Head of Family Experience

Glad to hear you enjoyed working with the campers! I know our year-round directors try to be as clear as they can, but whenever there is confusion we strongly encourage employees (whether full-time... More

4. "This Camp Didn't Age Well"

I worked at Steve & Kate's Camp full-time

Pros

The connections you make with the kids are invaluable and working with the kids was the only reason I didn't quit my position sooner. I still miss the kids I worked with a lot and only wish I could've said goodbye.
    Returning to the camp as a counselor years later instead of a camper was interesting, especially talking to kids about the original site in Mill Valley and old traditions.

Cons

The site director was an absolute mess and apparently has been since they took over my particular site; various counselors told me the hostile work environment was to be expected and despite being threatened with termination in previous years, some of these counselors returned. To make the work environment even more stressful, there were too many bouts of violence I had to break up and the older children attending the camp had no respect of authority and because of the camp philosophy, staff don't have the means to properly discipline these kinds of kids, especially when those kids are the site director's. I cannot even count how many times I had to call for the director to get their kids to actual dole out punishment. That should not be happening at a place of work.
    There is no communication or clarity between management and staff and even those is management are painfully aware of the issues staff and management face but cannot do anything.
    For a camp that sells itself on providing kids access to the most accessible and cutting edge technology, they do not know how to budget that money anywhere else. For weeks, I had campers telling me that the food being served to them was awful or didn't even have ingredients advertised in the meal. The streamlined way to handle furniture with cardboard recyclables works in theory but in practice, the furniture barely manages to hold up by summer's end.
    A lot of these experiences are definitely based off my own site's problems, and when I wanted to bring these problems up to management visiting from San Francisco, my schedule completely changed from full time to on call (yes I know the contract stated this was within the terms of my hiring).

Advice to Management

You cannot expect a camp to survive as a corporation when all sites are running on the same spontaneous adrenaline to make something good that the original Mill Valley site did. I attended that site from ages 5 to 10; I saw when the camp first started expanding to Novato and saw the visible stress from Steve and Kate and Mike. That stress and growing pains are still alive and well, and being this flippant, even for a job as unpredictable as being a summer counselor, is ridiculous.

Nov 20, 2017 – People Ops

As a company we absolutely do not condone any sort of retaliatory action for speaking up regarding concerns. We recognize that hearing directly from everyone who is involved in our program is... More

5. "Controlled Chaos"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Steve & Kate's Camp full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Being a kids camp, of course, you are going to have a blast, and have fun with the kids. There are plenty of new experiences and things to learn in the studios. The staff is always a fun group of people. The idea is completely new to a lot of people with the flexibility and amenities provided.

Cons

Too often the staff is lazy with a few stars sprinkled in that keep camp running smoothly. The ideas that corporate desires to incorporate fail to hit home or fail to be installed year to year.

Advice to Management

Breadmaking...needs to go. Seriously it is just a mess and disaster for the staff member who works there. I do appreciate how you try to fix things from year to year, but sometimes you change stuff that does not need to be fixed and worked completely fine before.

Oct 10, 2017 – Head of Family Experience

Glad to hear you enjoyed your time at camp! We don't make changes just for the sake of making them. And we're happy to explain the reasoning behind any changes to any staff member who would like to... More

6. "Its nice but..."

I worked at Steve & Kate's Camp full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some kids really thrive under the relaxed authority

Cons

Way underfunded. Much to relaxed on children who severely took advantage of the "no rules" rule

Advice to Management

I get it, more kids=more money. But there needs to be a turn away point for the kids who get in trouble daily, chronic bullies, and a zero tolerance on racist comments.

Oct 16, 2017 – Head of Family Experience

While you are correct that we talk to kids about not having 'rules' we do also talk about responsibilities including to show respect, be safe, and take care of the space. We've found that when staff... More

7. "Substitute camp counselor `"

Former Employee - Substitute Camp Counselor
    Former Employee - Substitute Camp Counselor

I worked at Steve & Kate's Camp part-time

Pros

Enjoyed working with kids, staff was all really great. A good high school job.

Cons

As a substitute i was required to go to different locations (obviously) but that proved to be difficult since I didn't have a car and public transportation was scarce

Sep 25, 2017 – Head of Family Experience

Glad you enjoyed your time with us this summer! We encourage subs to work at as many locations as they can in order to get the most work opportunities, but it's never required.

8. "Fun Rewarding Summer Job!"

I worked at Steve & Kate's Camp full-time

Pros

- Fun Environment to work in
    - Interesting camp with a lot of fun things to do
    - Fun summer job

Cons

- Need lots of Energy
    - Pay is alright

Advice to Management

None

Aug 14, 2017 – Head of Family Experience

Glad to hear you had a fun summer! It's definitely rewarding, but you are right that it takes a lot of energy. Kids bring so much and it's important to match that.

9. "Worst job ever"

Former Employee - Camp Counselor in Brooklyn, NY
    Former Employee - Camp Counselor in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at Steve & Kate's Camp (Less than a year)

Pros

They're no pros only cons.

Cons

This camp directors are very disrespectful and border line racist.

Advice to Management

Restructure your management hiring policy because the directors you have lack everything it talke to direct anyone.

Aug 21, 2017 – Head of Family Experience

Sorry to hear that you had a poor experience with one of our directors. Without much information here it's hard to know how to respond, but feel free to reach out to our main HQ if you have any... More

"Absolute worst experience of my career!"

I worked at Steve & Kate's Camp full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- The kids were sweet and seemed enjoy the camp experience we were able to give them...
    - That is literally the only thing I can say because the rest of my experience with this company was so abysmal!

Cons

- Site was mismanaged, director was ineffective
    - Leadership not proactive in fixing problems in a meaningful way
    - Camp program emphasizes fancy new technology over actual quality of the activity or instruction
    - Staff was incredibly undertrained, inexperienced, received little guidance from leadership
    - Staff felt powerless and unappreciated
    - Understaffed for number of campers
    - Counselors frequently disengaged, looking at phones, not actively helping kids
    - Overworked, routinely stayed overtime without overtime pay (instead received regular pay rate)
    - No rules, kids running wild, disrespectful
    - Very, very stressful!!!

Advice to Management

Hire better staff or give more substantial training to inexperienced staff members. Increase your ratio of counselors to campers. Create more structure, because obviously letting everything be "self-directed" isn't working out so well. Older campers mixed with younger campers and very little supervision (such as in the bathrooms) seems like a potential liability. The Mentee program is severely lacking; these campers need much more guidance to be actually helpful.

Aug 14, 2017 – Head of Family Experience

It seems like you've had a number of concerns that focus on a specific location. What would be most helpful is for you to connect with someone on our HQ team so that we can dig deeper into what was... More