Stevens & Tate Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Dan Gartlan

1. "A long road of ups and downs, learning, mistakes, growth, and ultimately a fond farewell."

Former Employee - Graphic Designer (8 Years)/Creative Manager (II Years) in Lombard, IL

I worked at Stevens & Tate full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Stevens & Tate seems to have a knack for finding good people.
    You have a fairly casual environment where you can talk to co-workers, share ideas, and laugh.
    No restricted computer usage.
    Open door policy to discuss issues, frustrations, and concerns.
    Pretty good summer/Christmas company parties.
    There is a decent amount of autonomy. As long as you are organized and plan your time well, you generally can address projects and tasks as you see fit.
    You have a lot of control over your personal growth. No one forces you to change, or learn, or develop weaker skills. Those who take initiative will go far.
    A decent effort is made to stress good interpersonal practices and attitudes.
    Always had quality technology and access to tools to do my job.

Cons

There are some pretty intense personalities to deal with in management. It can be intimidating.
    Change for the better is desired and discussed, but it seems like putting it into action is difficult.
    Too much focus on hourly rates/logging hours and profitability.
    Too much production type work and not enough creative projects.
    There seems to be a mould for Creatives to fit in. You need to live and breathe design, know how to draw / do pencils, and be willing to put the work first. If you lack in any of these areas, it can be hard to move up, get promoted, or be trusted. While these are all good traits for a Creative, I think there are other ways to succeed as a designer that the company struggled to accept.

Advice to Management

Put more focus on encouraging, rewarding, and trusting the employees.
    Make a career path clear and show employees how to reach those promotions. Don't assume they will just reach for it without some prompting.
    Do not tolerate consistently bad attitudes and those who undermine the organization.
    Pay someone what they're worth, and you'll never have to worry if they're doing the best job they can.
    Make employees feel glad to be part of the team by training them appropriately upfront and guiding them into responsibility. Don't throw them in the deep end without any warning and call that management.
    Let people wear jeans whenever they want. It's a marketing agency for goodness sake!
    Exhibit and practice the organizational principles you uphold as part of your company culture.

"Don't be fooled by slick copywriting - this place is dysfunctional!"

Former Employee - Art Director in Lombard, IL
    Former Employee - Art Director in Lombard, IL

I worked at Stevens & Tate full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I worked with some very talented people that I have stayed in contact with throughout my career. There's a bond that develops from knowing that we all survived the horror of working there.

Cons

There is no balance. You are expected to give 110% to this company. Management is not progressive This company will never grow beyond what it really is - a mediocre company. Agencies by nature tend to have a higher rate of turn over but the amount of turnover here is excessive and should be a red flag to anyone considering a job here. Don't do it!

Advice to Management

There's no advice to give because Dan Gartlan will never change.

"The Advertising Industry Can Be Rewarding But Isn't For Everybody"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lombard, IL

I worked at Stevens & Tate full-time (More than a year)

Pros

• Fantastic co-workers, the employees are welcoming and helpful

• Continue your growth and development, you are exposed to do work for real clients

• Great team environment that continues to push everyone to perform their best

Cons

• Be prepared to work hard, it's rewarding work and you get what you put into it

• You don't receive Black Friday off by default

Advice to Management

The employees they hire know what they're doing. They are all friendly, open, interesting people who love to talk about their work. The number one complaint that I heard amongst the staff is the hours. You can stay late occasionally based on the complexity of your assigned projects.

"Demeaning management, under-appreciated, toxic environment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lombard, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lombard, IL

I have been working at Stevens & Tate full-time

Pros

Good advertising experience for entry level

Cons

Management will never value their employees, even if you work your butt off
    Toxic environment
    Can turn a very positive person into a very negative and sad person
    No raises (your not worth it) they avoid it like the plague
    Only hire people out of college so they can pay them less
    No training, expectations are unrealistic
    Work life balance- extremely poor- can't leave for doctors appointment (have to use vacation) even if you work overtime quite frequently
    6 days for holidays a year..... that's it.

Advice to Management

Appreciate your workers, doesn't have to be through monetary ways, but just a verbal great job once.. ever.. would be appreciated.

"Isolated and Poorly Trained"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Lombard, IL

I worked at Stevens & Tate full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Has a knack for hiring talented and interesting people

Cons

Does not look out for employee well-being

Advice to Management

Analyze your turnover rate and take action to correct it immediately

"Save your energy (and happiness), so corrupt it will make you sick."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lombard, IL

I worked at Stevens & Tate full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great co-workers, good location.. that's about it.

Cons

Under paid, over worked.. harassing. No recognition. Don't waste your time. Seriously, you'll only last a few months because you'll be so miserable.

Advice to Management

I could go on and on about how management needs to respect their employees, but what's the point? You can't give them advice. They won't listen.

"Exceptional employees working for a corrupt company."

Former Employee - Account Executive in Lombard, IL

Pros

There are incredibly talented individuals that work here but usually only last a year or so due to unrealistic expectations and a demeaning work envoirnment.

Cons

There is a high turnover rate. Management puts high pressure on employees to work crazy hours with no recognition and it is essentially a sweatshop. It is well known that there is one way to the top (lets just say it helps if you are a woman).

Advice to Management

Treat your top performers with respect and try to create an enviornment of teaching, not fear. Do not burn all former employee bridges.

"Just ok."

Former Employee - Graphic Designer in Lombard, IL
    Former Employee - Graphic Designer in Lombard, IL

Pros

Great team of designers. Fun Christmas and bowling parties

Cons

Low wages. Not much recognition for good work. Pressure to work overtime without the overtime pay.

Advice to Management

Pay people what they are worth. Tell people they've done a good job when project is complete instead of asking it to be done quicker the next time. Don't expect people to stay late if they aren't getting paid for it.

10. "Is your typical internship"

Pros

They try to give you experience that you can apply later in your career. I felt appreciated for my work and all of the employees were very welcoming. My supervisor also made sure to compliment me whenever I did a good job which was encouraging.

Cons

They are really trying to develop an internship program. They've only been hiring interns for a couple of years so there are still some things they need to figure out and I can see this being a better internship in the years to come. Like all internships, there are days where you won't have much to work on.

11. "Great Internship Experience!"

Pros

I was given the freedom to grow and make mistakes. I worked on a variety of projects that I was able to add to my portfolio!

Cons

Sometimes there wasn't much for me to do so I would just sit there for awhile rather than being able to go home early.