Steward Health Care System Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.7
Ralph de la Torre

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great people in the Hospitals focused on providing the best care to patients (in 10 reviews)

• great benefits, opportunity for advancement (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • there is a difficult work/life balance (in 7 reviews)

• For profit company, no raises ever, no one does anything right and they always will blame you for it (in 8 reviews)

1. "Community Health Care in Transition - Good Samaritan Medical Center"

Current Employee - Staff Chaplain in Brockton, MA
    Current Employee - Staff Chaplain in Brockton, MA

I have been working at Steward Health Care System full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Steward is aggressively reinventing community-based acute care, and seeking ways to run a hospital and provide hospital level services that fit with the funding trends. Quality of care and patient experience are pre-eminent in thinking and planning. Steward has invested heavily in updating GSMC's physical plant as well as pushing services out into the community and bringing in specialities to capture the business of more complicated treatments that formerly required going into the city.

Cons

Change. There is continuous pressure to change; to improve; all the while delivering flawless care, which creates tension in a system that is used to things being the same. With the average patient age in the low 60s and the preponderance of regular patients suffering from chronic aging diseases that aren't curable, only manageable, it can feel a little bit like a losing battle.

Advice to Management

Keep talking about the vision, and keep encouraging innovation at every level.

2. "Registered Nurse"

I have been working at Steward Health Care System part-time

Pros

Excellent workers and friendly environment

Cons

Not a lot of parking

3. "Great job to be at full-time."

I have been working at Steward Health Care System full-time

Pros

Benefits are worth it for the family.

Cons

None at this time.

4. "St. Anne's Hospital"

Current Employee - Cancer Registrar in Fall River, MA
    Current Employee - Cancer Registrar in Fall River, MA

I have been working at Steward Health Care System part-time (More than a year)

Pros

This review is for St. Annes Hospital not the entire steward system. Laid back atmosphere in my department. Benefits and time off are pretty standard for hospitals these days, which is ok but not great.

Cons

Salary is pretty low but that isn't the systems fault but the governing body for discipline.

Advice to Management

Management for my department is great. Very understanding and helpful. Willing to help you with any questions.

5. "Human Resources"

I have been working at Steward Health Care System full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There is possibility to move up. The heath benefits are good. Promote within however you will never make as much as an external candidate.

Cons

The volume of work is high and management is not understanding sometimes. There is no annual raises no matter what the work load it like. And if there is added responsibilities, don't expect anything back!

Advice to Management

Value your current employees.

6. "Not the oppurtunity the advertise"

I worked at Steward Health Care System full-time

Pros

They have a good medical and dental benefits

Cons

Long hours, constant turnover , Management sees you as a number or a step to moving up , actually everyone steps on everyone. The job was advertised to me as this opportunity to work in my community and help those in the hospitals and doctors offices with the processes they themselves do not have time to do. I come from a strong medical back ground and have worked in many settings but this place was a stock to me. My manager treated us all like children instead of responsible adults. I was told I was going to meet the President of the company and get to express how as a new employee I liked the place and he would reach out and so he could get to know the work everyone was doing. Well twice I got up at 4 AM to travel to his office and he had to reschedule. The third time I traveled all the way down to his office which with traffic made my day 4 hours longer and I did not get paid for part of that, in the end he did not show and after half hour of trying to figure if he would be back to the office his assistant told me he would need to reschedule. Rescheduling appointments is common at this business. Also the first two months I traveled all over Mass which equated to 1000 of miles of unpaid time and wear on my car. I was told that I would only need to travel down to the main office once a month if that but I traveled two and three times a week and my manager often required we start our day at the main office so again unpaid travel time. Frankly this was not the job advertised and I would not recommend working for this company at all. I never write reviews so I hope I help someone who reads this and thinks twice about taking a job here or maybe this will help management to improve the company culture for there employees who are working hard everyday.

7. "You have to make it your own"

Pros

People work efficiently and don't waste a lot of time while at work. Some people feel that the work environment is a bit cold. The staff are both friendly and good workers at the same time. If you have that kind of work ethic, then this is a good place to be.

Cons

Some people do get tunnel vision about their projects but I've found that as long as you keep communication channels open and clear, you'll have no problem.

8. "Alot of job responsibility."

Former Employee - Medical Assistant in Foxboro, MA
    Former Employee - Medical Assistant in Foxboro, MA

I worked at Steward Health Care System full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent health benefits. As long as you use Steward doctors, the benefit amount you pay out of pocket is minimal.

Cons

Understaffed. Many times you would be covering many areas without enough staff to reduce stress and errors. Starting pay well but minimal raises.

Advice to Management

Management was excellent

9. "Great benefits, but the environment is terrible"

I have been working at Steward Health Care System full-time

Pros

Amazing health care plans, amazing benefits, and my cubicle is pretty sweet. Also I love the team I work with mostly

Cons

For profit company, no raises ever, no one does anything right and they always will blame you for it. They will treat you like you are a child and then get mad when you don't complete an assignment before they even asked you to do it

Advice to Management

Chill out, let your staff use their brains and stop doing everything without properly delegating. Also respect your employees

10. "Not competitive salary"

I have been working at Steward Health Care System full-time

Pros

Pleasant coworkers who care about patients

Cons

Salary is not competitive
    Ever changing upper management