Steward Health Care System Reviews in Westwood, MA | Glassdoor

Westwood, MA

2.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Ralph de la Torre

Pros
  • Great people in the Hospitals focused on providing the best care to patients (in 10 reviews)

• great benefits, opportunity for advancement (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • there is a difficult work/life balance (in 7 reviews)

• Any staff get the ax as long as senior management can line their pockets (in 8 reviews)

1. "Great for PTs who like making own schedule"

Current Employee - Physical Therapist in Westwood, MA
    Current Employee - Physical Therapist in Westwood, MA

I have been working at Steward Health Care System full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible scheduling, great peer support

Cons

LOTS of driving if you get scheduled outside of your preferred zone

"Threatened by senior leadership"

Former Employee - Analyst in Westwood, MA
    Former Employee - Analyst in Westwood, MA

I worked at Steward Health Care System full-time (More than a year)

Pros

they provide healthcare in case you need it

Cons

poor 401k match, promise of upward mobility but no action, long hours with no bonus or stock incentive.

Advice to Management

Please do not use fear as a motivator to get your employees to work harder. I for one did not respond well to threats of violence, or threats to be blacklisted from future career opportunities.

3. "PROs and CONs - just lie EVERYWHERE ELSE"

Current Employee - IS Applications in Westwood, MA
    Current Employee - IS Applications in Westwood, MA

I have been working at Steward Health Care System (More than 8 years)

Pros

Flexible/work from home occasionally/laid back

Cons

Strict budget/lack of equipment/behind on current technologies

"A good (but failed) concept"

I worked at Steward Health Care System full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A 'big promise' of something fresh and new that never quite panned out. We'll see what comes next after the PE fellows unload this on the new buyer and then the debt bomb goes off.

Cons

Loses world-class leadership in an ever-revolving door, including repeated hospital presidents. Cut cut cut - except all the perks for the boys in Boylston, of course. Failed hospitals folded into the remaining ones (Merrimack -> Holy Family; Quincy -> Carney) so what's with the victory parade?

Advice to Management

Stop giving yourself cushy perks while slashing infrastructure to the bone, and making departments undertake strategic initiatives without giving them the time and resources to properly execute. Your culture is frantic, blame-focused, and completely lacking in leadership.

6. "Analyst"

Current Employee - Analyst in Westwood, MA
    Current Employee - Analyst in Westwood, MA

I have been working at Steward Health Care System full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very well located, Managers are very understanding and help strike a good work life balance.

Cons

Very unorganized, No good systems or processes.

Advice to Management

Manage

"Great hospice team ti work with, but no support or interest from management"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westwood, MA

I worked at Steward Health Care System full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Wonderful hospice RNs, SWs, chaplains, and aides. Very good health insurance, salary a little better than most.

Cons

Absolutely no support from management. During my time there we were without a Clinical Director for over 6 months, and without an Executive Director for a month or more. Nurses had no one but other RNs & the medical director to consult with over difficult and sometimes critical medical decisions. Senior management showed very little interest in what was happening in the hospice division and seemed to be more interested in the bottom line than in patient welfare.

Advice to Management

Either get out of the hospice business or start paying attention and supporting a team of hard-working, compassionate professionals. Improve communications with field personnel. Find a way to drive more traffic to hospice division. I was down to 6 patients when I left, and should have had at least 20.

"Worst Ever"

Former Employee - IT Analyst in Westwood, MA
    Former Employee - IT Analyst in Westwood, MA

I worked at Steward Health Care System full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Large corporation experience, and some great people.

Cons

Where do I begin? Awful communication -really awful. There was so much to do, and such little direction. Severe arrogance, back stabbing. Everyone was terrified of the other shoe dropping and further reductions. Frequent reorganizations.

Advice to Management

Prioritize staff and patients.

"Incompetent senior management"

Current Employee - Corporate in Westwood, MA
    Current Employee - Corporate in Westwood, MA

I have been working at Steward Health Care System full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

IF the mission they talk about were real, at least I could say it was a good cause

Cons

As a woman, advancement is based on looks (or worse, if you know what I mean). No communication from the top. We have no idea what the heck is going on

Advice to Management

Define a path, tell us about it, and stick to it. And stop treating women like crap

"The Titanic--like Titanic, poor choices are made by those in charge to save money, resulting in disaster."

Former Employee - Clinical Liaison in Westwood, MA
    Former Employee - Clinical Liaison in Westwood, MA

I worked at Steward Health Care System full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you like putting in 10 to 20 hrs on your own time above your 40 hrs this is for you. If you like being told you have to use only the branded health care services or nothing is covered, this is for you.

Cons

Management views everyone as expendable. There were about 100 people who left my small division in 2 yrs and 30 who left the same role I had in 2 years, many lasting less than 6 months.
    No raise in 2 years.
    Good people let go, worthless people promoted. New managers constantly brought in who have no regard for the experience of those working under them.
    The workload tripled in 2 years and constantly asked to do even more.

Advice to Management

Stop letting good people go. Stick with the strong employees. Listen to what they say. Stop wasting money training new people and appreciate the good ones you have. Get rid of the top heaviness of the management structure. Distribute their inflated salaries to the people who work their butts off for you. The solution to a problem is never "hire more managers" or "create a new management tier".
    Realize that patients are not objects and employees are not chess pieces on a board.

"Life Altering Experience"

Former Employee - Information Technology in Westwood, MA
    Former Employee - Information Technology in Westwood, MA

I worked at Steward Health Care System full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

An opportunity to contribute to health care. Great company if you like working over a 100 hours a week and being rewarded with a 1% raise.

Cons

This company has no values. Very cut throat senior management within IT. Incompetent male dominated leadership staff within IT and a glorified boy's club that cannot manage a budget much less people. Unrealistic deadlines set by abusive vice presidents. Blatant rewards given to males and not females. No growth opportunity.

Advice to Management

Go home!