Stewart Title Reviews | Glassdoor

2.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Stewart Title CEO Matt Morris
Matt Morris

Pros
  • Decent work/life balance, never had too many issues tending to family matters when necessary (in 11 reviews)

• Work from home, some talented team mates, older managers are fabulous, but are being put out to pasture (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management does not know the industry but they know wall street (in 15 reviews)

• People are let go at the drop of a hat without severance packages and good reason (in 7 reviews)

"Growth and freedom to lead!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Stewart Title full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

My time at Stewart has been great so far. I am given the freedom and flexibility to do what it takes in my position to succeed. I have talented co-workers that I can go to if I need questions answered and management that trusts me to do my job. Highly recommend joining the organization.

Cons

None that I can think of at this time.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

"Escrow Assistant"

Current Employee - Escrow Assistant in Orem, UT
    Current Employee - Escrow Assistant in Orem, UT

I have been working at Stewart Title full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Though a large company, systems is easy to I understand and employees are excellent to work with.

Cons

Large company, no benefits for students.

Advice to Management

Management is fantastic at my branch. Less emails about things we really don't need to know about such as what others' clients have said.

"Great ENTRY LEVEL company."

Current Employee - Escrow Processor in Frisco, TX
    Current Employee - Escrow Processor in Frisco, TX

I have been working at Stewart Title full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Initially this job was challenging and I was learning loads about the housing industry, however once you get a few years under your belt you start to stagnate unless you do a lot of butt kissing and game playing to get yourself to the next level. Decent work/life balance, never had too many issues tending to family matters when necessary. Good job security at my location.

Cons

The pay is honestly insulting, a high school diploma can get you to the highest levels at this company so don't expect a college degree to mean much, take home is barely above minimum wage after taxes and insurance (which has been on a steady decline.) Hard work won't get you as far as sticking your nose up your manager's butt so don't expect merit based promotions or raises (no raise in 2017 so far, typically given in 1st quarter). You have to force management to train you or give you any knowledge that might make you useful at the next level, more concerned about having to fill your spot than seeing you succeed.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees a competitive living wage. You have good people that you will lose because of this. Focus on success for everyone at every level, not just maintaining your position or making your own job easier. Employees shouldn't have to ask for adequate training or for their managers to see their potential and grow it.

"they were cleaning the department"

Former Employee - Compensation Analyst in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Compensation Analyst in Houston, TX

I worked at Stewart Title full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Family company, good work enviroment

Cons

the HR department was cleaned! they fired half of the department. They couldn't care less about how you supposed to keep the project running with no people

Advice to Management

Be mindful about people's feelings when letting people go, I could not clean my desk and I was escorted to the elevator, that is rude.

5. "Mom and pop company trying to be mainstream"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at Stewart Title full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

location, work life balance, office

Cons

Weak Leadership, low wage, no growth

6. "Revolving door and no merit raises."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Stewart Title full-time

Pros

Not much one can say.

Cons

They hire and then let them go after a couple months. Time spent training someone and then a slow month comes and they are gone. The month when orders pick back up, they bring new people. This is on going. Also the employees that have been there for several years do not get merit raises. When it is time for reviews, a freeze is put on raises. A lot of politics on the local level, if your friends with management outside of the office, which there is a bit of, then you're golden.

7. "Only woirk here if you are desperate for a job"

Former Employee - Specialist III in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Specialist III in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Stewart Title full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's a paycheck, but not much else.

Cons

Very low pay. Lousy hours. No work/life balance. An associate told me that management chastised her because she was overheard saying that she intended to leave on time that day. (Just imagine working at a company where you get into trouble for saying that you planned to leave at the end of your shift!) Also, management had little to no respect for the associates. Associates have no authority to make even the simplest decisions, training consists of “here are the procedures; ask questions as you go” and leadership is often unavailable when needed. The end result is an extremely stressful place to work with unreasonably high expectations and no reward for hard work.

Advice to Management

Time spent training will payoff with better results for your clients.

"Do Not Work for Stewart"

Former Employee - Escrow Officer in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Escrow Officer in Austin, TX

I worked at Stewart Title full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Co-workers and clients made job rewarding.

Cons

Poor management
    Poor communication
    Outsourcing jobs to India, Vietnam, etc.
    Values hedge funds and investors over employees and clients
    Powerful and debilitating combination of arrogance and ignorance
    Unable to execute basic business plans
    Company leaders are out of touch with employees
    Tells employees to "put Stewart first"
    Create unnecessary barriers to completing basic job functions

Advice to Management

Most likely too far gone or far too complacent to take any feedback or criticism

"upper management is milking the company dry, big raises year after year to the 1% and none for years for the 99%"

Current Employee - Private in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Private in Houston, TX

I have been working at Stewart Title (Less than a year)

Pros

None unless memories of how the company use to be

Cons

The company is now owned by hedge funds and run by consultants. Good work done efficiently and cost effectively is not important. Clients are not important. Lots of outsourcing even when its more costly because in the short term it sounds good. The hedge fund owners bought in at a much higher price thatn current share price thus short term profit leveraged with a high PE is the goal, next year means nothing, people mean nothing, if short term profits can be increased the stock price will go up and the hedge funds can break even. what this means is the long term viability of the company is in question in my humble opinion and its an opinion what I write. Upper management does not know the industry but they know wall street

Advice to Management

be honest with the 99%, give a small raise every one awhile instead of fancy dinners, big pay increases for a handful, corp retreats, the company was a place of pride when the old guard was running things, regards a person that hopes to stay around long enough to retire

"Run for the hills"

Former Employee - Assistant in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Assistant in Houston, TX

I worked at Stewart Title full-time (More than a year)

Pros

None none none none none

Cons

This is the most toxic place I have EVER worked for. Pay is subpar, benefits are alright. Numerous times I was not paid what I actually worked because my manager took my hours away. Horrible people working for a horrible company. No growth at all. Have to beg for any appreciation. The list goes on. Whatever you do, do not work here.