Stewart Title Reviews | Glassdoor

Stewart Title CEO Matt Morris
Matt Morris

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • There was very little support from upper management (in 16 reviews)

• Not a good work/life balance- mandatory overtime (in 5 reviews)

"Don't work for this company, Not worth it."

Former Employee - Valuations Specialist II in Wilmington, DE
    Former Employee - Valuations Specialist II in Wilmington, DE

I worked at Stewart Title full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You are able to work from home sometimes. Dress code is jeans and sneakers.

Cons

Management doesn't have a clue about the mortgage industry. They are just going thru the motions when working on appraisals. The company is owned by two large hedge funds, who could care less about their employees. In the AMC I worked in, they have not had a pay raise in 4 years. The managers blame the employees for that but the truth is that the company can't find the right price point to be profitable in that department. It is a very "clickish" environment with a lot of back stabbing and gossiping. No real diversity. The vast majority of management are women and there are hardly any minorities. A lot of turnover in all departments. They are offshoring work. They want to make money off of U.S. citizens but don't want to pay them for work.

Advice to Management

Take care of the people that take care of you. There should be opportunities from advancement and growth.

"Poor "management ""

Former Employee - Escrow Assistant in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Escrow Assistant in San Diego, CA

I worked at Stewart Title full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Can't think of any pros.

Cons

No "managing" employees. Managers have no managing people skills. HR walks around whispering so everyone is paranoid. High turnover. Bullying. Not my job attitudes. NOT A TEAM.

Advice to Management

Talk to your employees and let them have input. Take some managerial courses.

"manager"

Pros

Not a single pro. I would not wish Stewart title employment to my worst enemy. They do have plenty of supplies if you need that but that's about it.

Cons

Worst company to be employed by. Very top heavy and no support for employees. They do not have any sales or Intern processes that actually work. Don't waste your time. Management is the worst I have ever seen

Advice to Management

Fire them all and start over

"Avoid the corporate office - the field offices might be OK"

I worked at Stewart Title full-time

Pros

You’ll work with a bunch of extremely qualified people who are as hamstrung as you’ll be – so that leads to great sense of comradery in your department or team.

Parking and pay aren’t bad.

Cons

If you are part of the corporate/leadership teams you’ll likely be recruited due to your outstanding skills. You’ll be romanced about the transition at Stewart and be encouraged to come and make a difference in whichever department you are considering joining. And when you get there and you disagree with the stagnant ideas of those in charge and you express your contrary view (you know, the one you were hired for) you’ll be dismissed at the earliest convenience.

You’ll be underwhelmed by the leadership team (pick a level, they are all bad) and their absolute inability to explain the big picture to anyone.

From day 1 you’ll be hamstrung – especially if you’ve never worked in title insurance – and unable to implement anything other than the most basic things – either because the chickens (field offices) run the hen house or you are not allowed to hire the appropriate resources for the job because the outsourcing projects have to hit the board approved ROI.

They’ll love your ideas and claim them as your own – except when the idea fails because the leadership won’t force (or encourage) compliance in the field locations.

You’ll watch career consultants implement every academic idea they’ve ever had (that was reject by their consulting clients) and then not understand why their book learning didn’t translate very well to operational reality.

If you like being a number, if you like being told one thing and seeing leadership do something else join this team.

Advice to Management

Exec team – get yourself aligned; anyone who peaks past the curtain can see you are not aligned and are barely holding it together. Other leaders – recognize that it is 2017 and how business is done is changing and you need to change too.

"Revolving door and no merit raises."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Stewart Title full-time

Pros

Not much one can say.

Cons

They hire and then let them go after a couple months. Time spent training someone and then a slow month comes and they are gone. The month when orders pick back up, they bring new people. This is on going. Also the employees that have been there for several years do not get merit raises. When it is time for reviews, a freeze is put on raises. A lot of politics on the local level, if your friends with management outside of the office, which there is a bit of, then you're golden.

"Only woirk here if you are desperate for a job"

Former Employee - Specialist III in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Specialist III in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Stewart Title full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's a paycheck, but not much else.

Cons

Very low pay. Lousy hours. No work/life balance. An associate told me that management chastised her because she was overheard saying that she intended to leave on time that day. (Just imagine working at a company where you get into trouble for saying that you planned to leave at the end of your shift!) Also, management had little to no respect for the associates. Associates have no authority to make even the simplest decisions, training consists of “here are the procedures; ask questions as you go” and leadership is often unavailable when needed. The end result is an extremely stressful place to work with unreasonably high expectations and no reward for hard work.

Advice to Management

Time spent training will payoff with better results for your clients.

Stewart Title Response

Jul 17, 2017 – Talent Acquisition Senior Manager

We depend on feedback and appreciate you taking the time to share yours. It helps us understand potential concerns and puts us in a position to address them. At Stewart, we value our associates and... More

"Do Not Work for Stewart"

Former Employee - Escrow Officer in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Escrow Officer in Austin, TX

I worked at Stewart Title full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Co-workers and clients made job rewarding.

Cons

Poor management
    Poor communication
    Outsourcing jobs to India, Vietnam, etc.
    Values hedge funds and investors over employees and clients
    Powerful and debilitating combination of arrogance and ignorance
    Unable to execute basic business plans
    Company leaders are out of touch with employees
    Tells employees to "put Stewart first"
    Create unnecessary barriers to completing basic job functions

Advice to Management

Most likely too far gone or far too complacent to take any feedback or criticism

"upper management is milking the company dry, big raises year after year to the 1% and none for years for the 99%"

Current Employee - Private in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Private in Houston, TX

I have been working at Stewart Title (Less than a year)

Pros

None unless memories of how the company use to be

Cons

The company is now owned by hedge funds and run by consultants. Good work done efficiently and cost effectively is not important. Clients are not important. Lots of outsourcing even when its more costly because in the short term it sounds good. The hedge fund owners bought in at a much higher price thatn current share price thus short term profit leveraged with a high PE is the goal, next year means nothing, people mean nothing, if short term profits can be increased the stock price will go up and the hedge funds can break even. what this means is the long term viability of the company is in question in my humble opinion and its an opinion what I write. Upper management does not know the industry but they know wall street

Advice to Management

be honest with the 99%, give a small raise every one awhile instead of fancy dinners, big pay increases for a handful, corp retreats, the company was a place of pride when the old guard was running things, regards a person that hopes to stay around long enough to retire

Stewart Title Response

Jul 17, 2017 – Talent Acquisition Senior Manager

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. Your experience is certainly not the Stewart standard. We are committed to putting our people first – rewarding and recognizing our associates... More

"Run for the hills"

Former Employee - Assistant in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Assistant in Houston, TX

I worked at Stewart Title full-time (More than a year)

Pros

None none none none none

Cons

This is the most toxic place I have EVER worked for. Pay is subpar, benefits are alright. Numerous times I was not paid what I actually worked because my manager took my hours away. Horrible people working for a horrible company. No growth at all. Have to beg for any appreciation. The list goes on. Whatever you do, do not work here.

"Despicable Company to Employees"

Former Employee - HR Business Partner in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - HR Business Partner in Houston, TX

I worked at Stewart Title full-time

Pros

Starting pay and time off was decent

Cons

Absolutely zero transparency, poor HR management and policies, this company will drop you at the drop of a hat with no reason and had an exceptional amount of complaints filed against them. No response received from HR or Upper Management as to decisions made and Corporate Policies. I applaud the fact that new HR management and Management came in and cleaned house. It was sorely needed in the HR department and I am so thankful to no longer be at Stewart Title.

Advice to Management

Keep cleaning house and become transparent regarding your company policies. Then apply them consistently!