Stewart Title Reviews | Glassdoor

Stewart Title CEO Matt Morris
Matt Morris

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Upper management does not know the industry but they know wall street (in 15 reviews)

• People are let go at the drop of a hat without severance packages and good reason (in 7 reviews)

"Avoid the corporate office - the field offices might be OK"

I worked at Stewart Title full-time

Pros

You’ll work with a bunch of extremely qualified people who are as hamstrung as you’ll be – so that leads to great sense of comradery in your department or team.

Parking and pay aren’t bad.

Cons

If you are part of the corporate/leadership teams you’ll likely be recruited due to your outstanding skills. You’ll be romanced about the transition at Stewart and be encouraged to come and make a difference in whichever department you are considering joining. And when you get there and you disagree with the stagnant ideas of those in charge and you express your contrary view (you know, the one you were hired for) you’ll be dismissed at the earliest convenience.

You’ll be underwhelmed by the leadership team (pick a level, they are all bad) and their absolute inability to explain the big picture to anyone.

From day 1 you’ll be hamstrung – especially if you’ve never worked in title insurance – and unable to implement anything other than the most basic things – either because the chickens (field offices) run the hen house or you are not allowed to hire the appropriate resources for the job because the outsourcing projects have to hit the board approved ROI.

They’ll love your ideas and claim them as your own – except when the idea fails because the leadership won’t force (or encourage) compliance in the field locations.

You’ll watch career consultants implement every academic idea they’ve ever had (that was reject by their consulting clients) and then not understand why their book learning didn’t translate very well to operational reality.

If you like being a number, if you like being told one thing and seeing leadership do something else join this team.

Advice to Management

Exec team – get yourself aligned; anyone who peaks past the curtain can see you are not aligned and are barely holding it together. Other leaders – recognize that it is 2017 and how business is done is changing and you need to change too.

2. "Great company that is going places"

I have been working at Stewart Title full-time

Pros

The people are great and Stewart provides the resources needed to execute the right way.

Cons

In Houston, the traffic can be a bit much. The business is sometimes difficult to explain to non-industry people.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. Really like the direction of the company.

"Growth and freedom to lead!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Stewart Title full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

My time at Stewart has been great so far. I am given the freedom and flexibility to do what it takes in my position to succeed. I have talented co-workers that I can go to if I need questions answered and management that trusts me to do my job. Highly recommend joining the organization.

Cons

None that I can think of at this time.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

"Escrow Assistant"

Current Employee - Escrow Assistant in Orem, UT
    Current Employee - Escrow Assistant in Orem, UT

I have been working at Stewart Title full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Though a large company, systems is easy to I understand and employees are excellent to work with.

Cons

Large company, no benefits for students.

Advice to Management

Management is fantastic at my branch. Less emails about things we really don't need to know about such as what others' clients have said.

"Just being honest"

Former Employee - Law Clerk in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Law Clerk in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Pros

A few friendly people, Pay was ok for entry level

Cons

Company don't care about contract employees. Full time employees are stuck up

Advice to Management

Focus and your employees growth, supervisor are fake.. employees have to act fake to get supervisor's attention

"Revolving door and no merit raises."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Stewart Title full-time

Pros

Not much one can say.

Cons

They hire and then let them go after a couple months. Time spent training someone and then a slow month comes and they are gone. The month when orders pick back up, they bring new people. This is on going. Also the employees that have been there for several years do not get merit raises. When it is time for reviews, a freeze is put on raises. A lot of politics on the local level, if your friends with management outside of the office, which there is a bit of, then you're golden.

"Only woirk here if you are desperate for a job"

Former Employee - Specialist III in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Specialist III in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Stewart Title full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's a paycheck, but not much else.

Cons

Very low pay. Lousy hours. No work/life balance. An associate told me that management chastised her because she was overheard saying that she intended to leave on time that day. (Just imagine working at a company where you get into trouble for saying that you planned to leave at the end of your shift!) Also, management had little to no respect for the associates. Associates have no authority to make even the simplest decisions, training consists of “here are the procedures; ask questions as you go” and leadership is often unavailable when needed. The end result is an extremely stressful place to work with unreasonably high expectations and no reward for hard work.

Advice to Management

Time spent training will payoff with better results for your clients.

Stewart Title Response

Jul 17, 2017 – Talent Acquisition Senior Manager

We depend on feedback and appreciate you taking the time to share yours. It helps us understand potential concerns and puts us in a position to address them. At Stewart, we value our associates and... More

"Great ENTRY LEVEL company."

Current Employee - Escrow Processor in Frisco, TX
    Current Employee - Escrow Processor in Frisco, TX

I have been working at Stewart Title full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Initially this job was challenging and I was learning loads about the housing industry, however once you get a few years under your belt you start to stagnate unless you do a lot of butt kissing and game playing to get yourself to the next level. Decent work/life balance, never had too many issues tending to family matters when necessary. Good job security at my location.

Cons

The pay is honestly insulting, a high school diploma can get you to the highest levels at this company so don't expect a college degree to mean much, take home is barely above minimum wage after taxes and insurance (which has been on a steady decline.) Hard work won't get you as far as sticking your nose up your manager's butt so don't expect merit based promotions or raises (no raise in 2017 so far, typically given in 1st quarter). You have to force management to train you or give you any knowledge that might make you useful at the next level, more concerned about having to fill your spot than seeing you succeed.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees a competitive living wage. You have good people that you will lose because of this. Focus on success for everyone at every level, not just maintaining your position or making your own job easier. Employees shouldn't have to ask for adequate training or for their managers to see their potential and grow it.

Stewart Title Response

Jul 17, 2017 – Talent Acquisition Senior Manager

Thank you for the candor in sharing your thoughts. Part of our commitment to our associates is to continuously review the market in order to provide a competitive total compensation package, and we... More

"Do Not Work for Stewart"

Former Employee - Escrow Officer in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Escrow Officer in Austin, TX

I worked at Stewart Title full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Co-workers and clients made job rewarding.

Cons

Poor management
    Poor communication
    Outsourcing jobs to India, Vietnam, etc.
    Values hedge funds and investors over employees and clients
    Powerful and debilitating combination of arrogance and ignorance
    Unable to execute basic business plans
    Company leaders are out of touch with employees
    Tells employees to "put Stewart first"
    Create unnecessary barriers to completing basic job functions

Advice to Management

Most likely too far gone or far too complacent to take any feedback or criticism

10. "Stewart Title Accounting"

I worked at Stewart Title full-time

Pros

Corporate office is in a nice location.

Cons

Salary & vacation time on low end