Stewart & Stevenson Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.7
Anthony Davis

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good benefits that are similar to other companies in their market (in 13 reviews)

• People i worked with were great pay and benefits were pretty good (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Benefits are going away, not to much direction from upper management (in 9 reviews)

• A very large percentage of the senior management team has become so frustrated with the owner that they have quit (in 4 reviews)

1. "coordinator"

I have been working at Stewart & Stevenson full-time

Pros

good benefit, friendly employees, 8 to 5 job

Cons

nothing that I can't think of

2. "Parts technician"

I have been working at Stewart & Stevenson full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I really enjoy the line of work, and I'm fortunate to work with some exceptional people! My current GM makes me feel like a valued part of our team. It was recently announced that another company is purchasing S&S, and I'm really excited to see the direction it takes!

Cons

It takes too long to get things done that require approval from people outside our location (hiring/firing/raises/promotions).

Advice to Management

Hire the right people for the right job, train them well, then give them the authority to do the job you hired them for.

3. "Stewart and Stevenson"

I have been working at Stewart & Stevenson full-time

Pros

Great Place to work in IT plenty opportunities to advance skills

Cons

There are no cons that I have seen

"It has been interesting"

Current Employee - Engineer
    Current Employee - Engineer

I have been working at Stewart & Stevenson full-time

Pros

Salaries are good, great people to work with

Cons

Benefits are going away, not to much direction from upper management

5. "Pretty Good company"

I worked at Stewart & Stevenson full-time

Pros

Lots of hours, good benefits.

Cons

Hot shop, can be loud and dusty

"Hopeful"

I worked at Stewart & Stevenson full-time

Pros

Good Benefits, great products, good coworkers

Cons

Senior Management is out of touch with industry served

Advice to Management

Sell to someone who has interest in employees, and customers not just money

"Manager"

I worked at Stewart & Stevenson full-time

Pros

I learned a lot working there.

Cons

Being micromanaged into the ground by the owner.

"Does not care about lower level employees whatsoever"

Current Employee - Technician
    Current Employee - Technician

I have been working at Stewart & Stevenson full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I work for Florida Detroit Diesel Allison what used to be a good company to work for but all that changed when Stewart and Stevenson purchased the company. FDDA used to treat technicians well. High Salaries, Double time was paid on Sundays, time and a half paid after 8 hours of work, time and a half on holidays besides holiday pay, time and a half for 10 hrs a day when overseas, company 401k match, and they rewarded hard workers with raises, all that went away once Stewart and Stevenson took over. The only pros I can think of is you get a paycheck and vacation time.

Cons

No raises at all, no company match 401k, no time and a half till after you have worked 40hrs, no dbl time on Sundays, straight time if you have to work a holiday, company spends no money on equipment most company vehicles have 200,000 miles plus and most shop equipment is older than myself, very low wages, company makes you pay them to drive there company truck, company pays you no extra money to work out of town or state, I could continue this list for days.....

Advice to Management

Pay attention to your hard working employees, promote hard work. The company is failing because you fail to do these things.

9. "Terrible Supply Chain Management!!!"

I have been working at Stewart & Stevenson full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good company up to 2014 when they management changed. It was flexible and had 401k contributions. Employees are friendly and helpful.

Cons

No flexibility whatsoever, supply chain management had NO, ZERO people skills! They are extremely rude no have NO knowledge of supply chain negotiations and operations!! They rely on their best employees to make themselves look good, lie, and the take credit up to corporate office!! Executives have no idea of their game! Management favorite employees who covered their own acts. People are scared to talk and mingle. There's no culture and morale is very low!! Do yourself a favor and think twice before you apply for available positions or start working with incompetent management!! Can't wait to leave this place!!!
    PS. They are so cheap in fixing structural damages that a RAT came inside the offices for days!!

Advice to Management

Supply chain directors need to be replaced. Executives need to get involved in order to implement a new culture and keep valuable employees happy maximizing their contributions.

"Beware - Senior Supply Chain Management and HR"

Former Employee - Supply Chain in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Supply Chain in Houston, TX

I worked at Stewart & Stevenson full-time

Pros

Had the pleasure of working with some great people, colleagues, peers, and internal/external customers. Strong support from Executive Manangemt team, whom valued employee contributions.

Cons

Current Senior Supply Chain Management. The culture, employee moral, and work atmosphere has significantly declined post 2014 new Supply Chain management appointments. Severely lack the necessary people skills required to manage, favoritism rampant, and no ability to separate personal feelings from professional or business descisions. Little to no hands on involvement or familiarity with day to day supply chain operations, yet attempt to give the opposite impression to Executive Management. Local HR support in dire need of restructuring. The majority of employees are unhappy, but fear expressing themselves.

Advice to Management

Thoroughly examine Supply Chain clulture and management practices. Encourage and listen to the voices of the employees. Re-evaluate HR support.