Stewart's Shops Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated October 14, 2018

Full-timePart-time

Gary C. Dake

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Excellent training, valuable skills learned, and the profit sharing is great too" (in 22 reviews)

• "Scooping ice cream for children" (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • "low wages for the amount of work done" (in 8 reviews)

• "Long hours, no work life balance at ALL" (in 6 reviews)

1. "Associate"

Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Albany, NY
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Albany, NY

I have been working at Stewart's Shops part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Quick. enjoyable, environment and good pay

Cons

Lots of rushes, can get stressful

2. "Local or National?"

Current Employee - Shop Partner in Ballston Spa, NY
    Current Employee - Shop Partner in Ballston Spa, NY

I have been working at Stewart's Shops full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Stewart's is owned and operated by a pair of brothers in the state of NY. Technically it is a small company and compared to national retail chains, it is amazing. The Employee Share program in and of itself, I have never seen anything else like it. Every employee ends up owning a piece of the company after a while. The team I work with is like a second family, always there to help out and cover when it is needed without any fuss. My District Manager is great to talk to, he pops in frequently to help out in the shop, offer tips and helpful advice and make sure things are good with everyone. Again, not something you see in a nationally owned company.

Cons

Stores are open late and with a three year old that can be difficult to find a sitter. Pay isn't the best, I'd say it's median.

Advice to Management

Increase pay for those who have been with the company for years and years and are making only a dollar more than people who just started.

3. "oh stewarts"

I have been working at Stewart's Shops full-time

Pros

good pay, plenty to keep you busy,

Cons

way too much work to get done, understaffed, undertrained, management sucks

Advice to Management

train your workers better and give time for training hours, way too many people being left untrained

4. "Great for part-time"

Former Employee - Shop Partner
    Former Employee - Shop Partner

I worked at Stewart's Shops (Less than a year)

Pros

Never had an issue with scheduling and they were great about working around my other job.
    Since it's a small staff, you'll always be kept busy and the time goes by faster than you think.
    More incentives than most retail or food service type environments.

Cons

Lots of pressure from the management.
    Typically only 2-3 employees working at once so it can get stressful.

Advice to Management

Hire more people.

5. "Cashier"

Pros

Fluxuanting schedule, some discounts getting to know community

Cons

Never enough time to complete tasks, barely any breaks

6. "Stewarts dosnt care about employees"

Current Employee - Partner in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Partner in New York, NY

I have been working at Stewart's Shops part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They do have good retirement programs

Cons

You dont get breaks, terrible communication with managers, managers and Dms expect more than they should.

Advice to Management

Get better managers and stop expecting people to drop everything for work. Managers take personal grudges out on employees and it is reflected in hours and bonuses. Most guys that get hired are sleezeballs and my assistant hits on every girl in my store.

"Partner"

I have been working at Stewart's Shops part-time

Pros

Good friendly environment for partners

Cons

Bad scheduling. More flexibility would be nice. This job doesn't pay enough for the high stress of high-volume shops and bad hours.

Advice to Management

Close on Christmas so your partners can spend Christmas with their families. I think that's worth more than the little bit of business you do on Christmas.

8. "Severe under-staffing is the biggest problem"

Former Employee - Partner in Newburgh, NY
    Former Employee - Partner in Newburgh, NY

I worked at Stewart's Shops full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The pay is better then you might expect in this line of work (though you CAN do better, and you should always be looking) and there are some decent benefits. A lot of the customers are friendly. It can honestly be enjoyable at times if you’re working with the right person (though in this environment good coworkers don't last long).

Cons

The single biggest problem is understaffing. Their payroll formula does not provide enough hours for the staff to run things smoothly without cutting corners Management knows it, everyone who works there knows it, and now you know it. They put two people on shift. During the summer you get a few hours of triple coverage here and there but it’s never enough. Keep in mind this is for running registers, making ice cream, making sandwiches, stocking the entire store, making food, making various items to order. It’s just a mess. Most gas stations have two people on shift to cover less than half the responsibilities they pile on at Stewarts. And there’s never any help, never any accommodation. There could be a snowstorm coming, or they could have some big promotion, or there could be difficulties on your shift. It doesn't matter- you get two people, that's it, and they just expect you to muddle through. I really can’t overstate how much this increases the stress. You can never take a break, you can’t call out when you’re sick (I was told to come in thinking I had the flu), and on top of that it leads to lots of meanness and backbiting as everyone gets mad at everyone else when stuff doesn't get done.

Stewarts is really tightfisted in other ways too. They don’t pay a competitive rate for mileage (Actually if you’re a partner they don’t pay you anything for mileage even if they make you drive halfway across the state.) When equipment breaks down they replace it with “refurbished” equipment that often doesn’t work properly.

Management was generally bad. I had three managers while working there. Two were okay but one was awful; they were verbally abusive and caused some of my coworkers to break into tears. The District Staff were generally personable but two-faced. I had little contact with Upper Management, though I did read some of their smug letters they sent out with our pay stubs, where they complained about how hard it is to make a profit in the convenience industry when labor and health insurance is so expensive (just the message to improve your underpaid staff’s morale, right? Keep in mind they're raking in millions of dollars) There was one thing that particularly annoyed me. There was one guy from Corporate who would do inspections at the stores. When we heard he was coming the District Staff would keep us there until like 2 A.M. getting the store in shape. If he had actually wanted to improve the stores he might have discussed the problems we were facing with the managers in a collaborative way. But it was clear that this was just an ego-trip for him. He would strut in making believe he was a prison commandant doing a uniform check and everyone would suck up to him while he found stuff to chew them out for and never anything to praise. It was kind of emblematic of Stewarts management as a whole- smug, willfully ignorant of actual problems, and thoughtless toward the people doing the real work.

I could continue- about how they don't give breaks and lie to make it seem like they do, about the quid pro quo stuff that went on behind the scenes, about how they punish employees when customers steal from them, about the labor laws they violated, and so on. But there just isn't space to get to everything.

Advice to Management

I covered a lot of this in the "Cons" section but I don't think it really matters. The only way to make Stewarts a decent place to work is to introduce reasonable staffing levels and (despite false assurances to the contrary) that's just not going to happen.

9. "Not just a number"

I have been working at Stewart's Shops full-time

Pros

Corporate cares about the people

Cons

Customers are rough. No real down time.

Advice to Management

Be a hard worker. Drug test to get hired.

10. "Clerk"

I worked at Stewart's Shops full-time

Pros

Customers.... Customers..... Customer
    Coffee is goood

Cons

Upper Management
    I think they forgot about
    Customer/Employee focus and life balance.

Advice to Management

We are always on! Smiling. Serving and making coffee fresh and hot. We are doing our very best! Upper Management outside our Stores need some basic customer training classes again🙂
    Love a former Employee and Happy Customer!!