Stewart's Shops Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.8
Gary C. Dake

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Friendly atmosphere, profit sharing, competitive pay (in 20 reviews)

• Scooping ice cream for children (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • low wages for the amount of work done (in 8 reviews)

• Culture promotes ZERO work-life balance (in 6 reviews)

1. "Food"

I worked at Stewart's Shops part-time

Pros

buy the great hot dogs

Cons

sometimes they dont have ...

2. "Good for the Long Term"

I have been working at Stewart's Shops full-time

Pros

good benefits and management, advancement opportunities for those who do well

Cons

long hour at times, must be available 7 days a week

3. "OK Company"

Former Employee - Partner in West Sand Lake, NY
    Former Employee - Partner in West Sand Lake, NY

I worked at Stewart's Shops part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I enjoyed 95% of the Customers......You have to be a people person to work for a place like this. If you are not, don't bother applying.....

Cons

Many days without a decent break.....you are told when you are hired you get a working break.....it is hard to stay on feet for 8 hours and only get a 10 minute break....I lost weight the first 3 months. You are on your feet the whole time....be prepared....Depending on the shop and the manager......sets the outcome of your shop....a well run shop provides a great environment......Attitude is everything...

Advice to Management

Work with the partners......Don't just throw them out there....don't expect them to know everything......You can't teach by assuming the partner knows things......have enough coverage to teach....by example.....Cant learn from osmosis....

4. "Good job for college students"

Current Employee - Partner in Troy, NY
    Current Employee - Partner in Troy, NY

I have been working at Stewart's Shops part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I'm a college student and they are nice enough to let me work during my breaks since I live far from home. They are patient with newcomers. If you want more hours and the store you work at is filled, you can always go work at a nearby Stewarts and help another store out and still get paid. But that all depends on your boss and if there is a nearby store under the same management (GM).

Cons

Stewarts has its fast-paced moments where you have a long line of people to check out, food to make and also people who are wanting ice cream. But it's not like that all the time, just be prepared for times like those. Other than that there aren't any cons, to be honest.

Advice to Management

There should be more ice cream sales in the summer and less in the winter. I remember back in December there were half gallons for 2.99 and we had to reach a certain goal, just makes more sense to do promotions like those in the summer to get more sales.

5. "No Help"

I have been working at Stewart's Shops part-time

Pros

Friendly Staff and flexible scheduling

Cons

Redundant Paperwork. Only 2 people on staff at all times! Managers and Corporate repeatedly tell staff how easily replaceable they are.

Advice to Management

Learn how to treat Employees with respect!

6. "Good pay, hard work"

Current Employee - Partner in Mayfield, NY
    Current Employee - Partner in Mayfield, NY

I have been working at Stewart's Shops full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good, competitive pay rates compared to other convenience store jobs. The work keeps you busy and active throughout your shift.

Cons

The amount of work can be overwhelming at times, there are a lot of responsibilities and expectations put on the staff, with a small amount of people on staff at any given time.

Advice to Management

My biggest gripe with management at Stewart's has to do with the managers scheduling themselves as the second worker on a shift, and not performing all of the responsibilities of a partner, holding back the rest of the staff.

7. "Assistant Manager"

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Granville, NY
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Granville, NY

I have been working at Stewart's Shops full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Always busy, always something to be done, something new to learn. Learning the ropes is fun if you like being busy...busy with customers, busy putting deliveries away, busy keeping things filled and clean....Learning your customers...remembering them personally is really a good feeling for them, and for yourself! Learning the keys of your store...taking responsibility for yourself...if you realize making money for the store profits you too...every single month while there is growth. If you do your know what to do, how to do it, and actually do it and encourage your partners to do the same, it can be a great place to work. I gave 4 stars ,because there's always to improve.

Cons

Some customers can be difficult to deal with. Some partners don't want to do all that is expected of them....that can make for difficult shifts...as there is always a LOT to get done...

Advice to Management

Always be communicating with partners about store....good bad or indifferent.

8. "Stewarts Shops"

I have been working at Stewart's Shops part-time

Pros

Incentives, great partners to work with.

Cons

Bad turnarounds of shifts sometimes, only two to three people working at a time, but completely doable.

Advice to Management

Management works hard, long hours take a break!

9. "Good to get you on your feet"

Former Employee - Partner in Clifton Park, NY
    Former Employee - Partner in Clifton Park, NY

I worked at Stewart's Shops part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fast-paced, simple job but not easy, managers are hardworking and respect your hard work too, profit sharing is a nice bonus every month.

Cons

Customers can be creeps, physically laborious job, breaks are short, stressed out to meet quotas, lazy people are hard to work with and hard to fire.

Advice to Management

For the love of GOD please switch to a better POS computer software/hardware systems - dealing with angry construction workers at 5am when the register crashed and no once can pump gas or use a debit card was a serious strain on all other productivities in the shop and huge profit losses. Same for audit systems/filing systems - the amount of time managers spent HANDWRITING audits when the palms would crash/not respond or just tracking things by hand in general.

Mostly though - PAY YOUR MANAGERS MORE and/or give them overtime: seriously, my manager almost never said no to accommodating schedules/days off for all employees even if they were less than stellar. But because she was salaried she didn't benefit from all the extra hours she covered/ was responsible for. Have employees anonymously rate their managers in some way to prove this. Having a less-stressed out/maxed out manager makes the whole shop mentality better and functions more efficiently and customers notice when the shop is happy and they like to come to a happy shop.

10. "Partner"

I worked at Stewart's Shops part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Always busy, not too boring, share agreement, friendly place, good discounts, helps multitasking, the ice cream. Great starting pay! great hours!

Cons

Because its technically a convenience store, there's only 3 or 4 people working at once and it can get to be stressful when it's super busy. Also, scooping ice cream can be difficult and lastly, you don't get an actual break. they have an agreement with the labor department so that you work 8 hours and only get a 15 minute break and its a working break.

Advice to Management

Be nicer, don't be two faced, put an end to the drama. Stop playing favorites, schedule people so there's enough people working at once. buy a step stool. us shorter folks struggle to scoop ice cream for people.