Stiles Machinery Reviews | Glassdoor

"Great company"

Current Employee - Financial Service Representative in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Financial Service Representative in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Stiles Machinery full-time (More than a year)

Pros

awesome company to work for. Good benefits and great pay

Cons

A lot of road time

"Decent Company but Support Departments dictate business instead of customer"

I have been working at Stiles Machinery full-time (More than a year)

Pros

All the people involved with developing and maintaining customers are awesome to work with, very friendly and flexible management. Life here will depend on who your manager is. Sales, Service and Engineering and project management are awesome. Lots of new technology and room to grow.

Cons

The groups in support roles hamper the groups that make the money big time. There are a groups and managers that are very controlling, Cant use your own cell phone business unless you transfer it to Stiles. Very controlling so I carry two phones now. Some groups and areas are cutting edge and others are really old and still struck in 70's. Also benefits are not what they seem. They say they are about education with Stiles University Accreditation but Tuition reimbursement is only a max of $5k a year and you have to sign paper work saying you will not resign soon hereafter, simply not worth it for a single class. Vacation sucks for new employees. They say 2 weeks first year , but you have to wait 90 days to start accruing and cannot go negative balance like every other company. So you can never get the full 2 weeks in a your first year. First time in over 20 years I only get 5 days PTO for a whole year.

Advice to Management

Strip away the power of the support departments that dictate to the departments who actually bring in the $$. IT group is one of the worst offenders. You ask for software or hardware and you have to jump through such hoops to defend it why, this shouldn't be the case. Also employees shouldn't have to buy their own chairs and other furniture for the office.

"Good company overall but a lot of disconnect"

Current Employee - Field Service Representative in Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Field Service Representative in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Stiles Machinery full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Competitive pay and benefits, family atmosphere, attempts made to do things in the best interest of employees, good company environment

Cons

Large disconnect between corporate and everyone else. Growing pains mean policies and procedures that aren't good at an operational level. Field techs get left behind in every way, but still get a lot of emails about what everyone else on the company is doing. So there are birthday, anniversary, and life event updates for everyone except field techs. And there's a Healthy You program to help lower costs of health insurance that almost no FSR has the time or ability to participate in. One of the requirements is going to a doctor regularly, which you can't do when you get an assignment the day before and work 60 hours a week.

Advice to Management

Stop leaving your field people behind- they're the face of the company in every way. Find a way to help FSRs participate in the Healthy You. Get more feedback from FSRs before implementing policies that they are supposed to carry out- it's not always doable.

"Not so good"

Current Employee - Financial Service Representative in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Financial Service Representative in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Stiles Machinery full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The only thing I can say is a pro are the great peers I work with. I'm talking about other FSRs, not management or sales.

Cons

Pay is pathetic, training is lacking, Not appreciated, worked to the death, put in no win situations, set up to fail

Advice to Management

Take care of your employees who bust their butts to keep the Stiles name out of the mud instead of insulting them with the joke that is our salaries. Stiles competition pays significantly better. Training is a joke also, power points in classes or online but not factory hands on training like the rest of the Homag Group gets. Even the competition sends their employees to real factory training.

Oct 25, 2016 – Human Resources

Thank you for taking a moment to provide us with this feedback and sharing your concerns. We’re constantly reevaluating and reinventing ourselves as we drive to continue our position as an industry... More

"Propoganda vs. positivity"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Stiles Machinery full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Quality machines, good worker bees

Cons

The reviews here say it all very well
    Devalued employees that are run into the ground
    Management is very interested to know who has been writing the terrible reviews here, not why there are terrible reviews
    When in doubt, they ask marketing and HR to pump out platitudes of why we are so happy and proud

Sep 20, 2016 – Human Resources

Hello – Thank you for providing this feedback. We appreciate and value your thoughts and opinions. We encourage you to take advantage of our open door policy to bring these specific or general issues... More

"Stiles"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at Stiles Machinery full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Able to work independently and set your own schedule. Most of the team is great to work with and very knowledgable about the industry and equipment. New challenge every day. Very competitive compensation and benefits available.

Cons

Company can be a bit disorganized at times, which makes it more difficult for small, mid-sized, and new customers to get the same level of service as the (existing) large corporations.

Advice to Management

Have a set training program in place for all new employees, at each level and/or position, so they can make an immediate impact. Make order processing easier so companies of all sizes can do business with you.

Feb 26, 2016 – Human Resources

Thank you for providing your feedback. We’re sorry to hear you may have missed out on some initial training and want to ensure you are fully knowledgeable about all processes. Your manager should be... More

"Stiles"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Grand Rapids, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Grand Rapids, MI

Pros

Many opportunities to learn more about the industry and the equipment. Frequently hosted educational events open to all employees. Additional training opportunities available, such as foreign language courses, while you're on the clock.

Cons

Relies heavily on furniture and construction business to be profitable, which are both volatile markets. Budget cuts and buyouts were numerous and frequent. Upper management and sales team were out of touch with the support staff. Workload was often far too much for any single person to manage.

Advice to Management

I have no management experience, but during my tenure it was clear that two or more managers needed to be removed from the company.

Jan 6, 2016 – Human Resources

We strive to provide valuable educational opportunities and we’re glad to hear you found them beneficial. We appreciate your feedback in regards to improved communication and workload and have... More

8. "Stiles review"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Grand Rapids, MI

Pros

Great people to work with at Stiles. Many employees have spent the majority of their careers at Stiles. Solid, established company.

Cons

Company is going through a transition with new top leadership making changes at a rapid pace. Changes to employee positions are known by colleagues often before affected employee is advised.

Advice to Management

Slow down and take time to communicate changes. Major changes affecting employees should be communicated personally and not by e-mail.

Apr 11, 2016 – Human Resources

We’re glad to hear you enjoy being a part of the Stiles family. If you have suggestions on how to better any communication gaps, we are always open to feedback. Please feel free to speak with us or... More

"A company that does not keep promises"

I have been working at Stiles Machinery full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good People and strong team environment. When I came on board I was lead to believe that there was a lot of opportunity for growth and development. Everyone I work with works extremely hard often putting in long hours and going above and beyond. The environment can be toxic at times because of low moral. The day to day offers a variety of tasks and is generally never the same which makes the day go fast. I would say the biggest asset this company has is the dedication of many of the employees.

Cons

Very inflexible company when it comes to understanding young families. They offer promises of flexibility and huge growth opportunities but it is hard for them to follow through. The company is going through a huge growth spurt and making tons of money exceeding our budget month after month but when it comes to raise time stingy in sharing that with lower level employees. Higher level employees take company paid trips and post pictures on face book of their parties and fraternizing. This does little for the general population moral. Management does not seem to care or even be aware of low moral with in the departments.Greed seems to be their theme right now. The Human Resource department is the largest joke of the company and is sorely lacking. More worried about hosting fund raisers and benefits than working with their people to resolve department issues.

Advice to Management

Change needs to start at the top. Management does not seem to care or even be aware of low moral with in the departments.Get qualified Human Resource leaders that know what a HR department is suppose to do.

Apr 11, 2016 – Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to provide your helpful feedback. We understand how the issues you’ve raised could be of concern in regards to morale and are working to address these areas. If you have... More

"Stiles is a wonderful employer and clear leader in the industry."

Current Employee - National Parts Manager in Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - National Parts Manager in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Stiles Machinery full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Expert in machine industry.
    Terrific employer with good benefits.
    Employees are very friendly and company has a family atmosphere.

Cons

I can think of no cons.

Apr 11, 2016 – Human Resources

Thank you for this helpful feedback. We’re glad to hear you enjoy working with us at Stiles.