Stinger Ghaffarian Technologies Reviews | Glassdoor

3.7
Kam Ghaffarian

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • I have no cons about the company (in 3 reviews)

• The cost of living increases are fairly standard and don't fluctuate too much based on performance (in 2 reviews)

1. "The Best Company to work for bar none."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kennedy Sp Ct, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kennedy Sp Ct, FL

I have been working at Stinger Ghaffarian Technologies full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

A very rewarding and awesome company to work for. I work on a government contract , the owners stay in touch and come and meet every employee in person. The best company I have ever worked for in my 40 plus year career. Open door policy is a real deal, not just words.

Cons

I have no cons about the company.

2. "Great company but unfortunately could not advance due to hallway conversations"

Former Employee - Principal Multi Disciplined Manager
    Former Employee - Principal Multi Disciplined Manager

I worked at Stinger Ghaffarian Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Retreats for management
    Well defined processes
    Very very talented staff
    Excellent at communicating down and up
    Great at recognizing all employees and advertising company at the same time.

Cons

Retreats for management (what about the line workers)
    Received a layoff letter from HR. Immediate management indicated that there was work but "pressure from upper management" was received to keep X, Y and Z employed even though my manager knew I would "be more motivated." HR subsequently found out about this and I was never let go even there was no work. Finally had to resign and start independent consulting.

Advice to Management

Keep your motivated, customer focused staff who are always learning. One of my current supervisors left SGT because she was pressured to keep low performing staff. It seems like SGT wants to get rid of the wrong people.

3. "Communications Specialist"

Pros

Work/life balance
    Open communication
    Great areas of work

Cons

None I can think of at the moment

4. "Great Company"

I have been working at Stinger Ghaffarian Technologies full-time

Pros

Great upper management and core values

Cons

Future contract outlook is unclear

"Watch out!"

Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Lanham, MD
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Lanham, MD

I worked at Stinger Ghaffarian Technologies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A lot of freedom to direct your own career. It's almost like working for yourself except payroll and benefits are taken care of for you

Cons

Management will do nothing to help you if your job runs dry......Or,if you run afoul of an abusive government employee

Advice to Management

Placing a popular employee with the Goddard Space Flight Center requires no skill at all. Get over yourselves. Fighting for your employees and making sure they are treated fairly takes leadership --which you do not posses

6. "Okay company"

I have been working at Stinger Ghaffarian Technologies full-time

Pros

Flexible schedule, decent benefits, various projects to work on

Cons

No support for personal development, lack of opportunity for growth, very difficult to get a raise more than cost of living

Advice to Management

Show that you are invested in the development of employees and focus on creating loyalty to the company

"Interesting Work but Low Morale and Dated Facilities Detract from Former Majesty"

Current Employee - Flight Controller in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Flight Controller in Houston, TX

I have been working at Stinger Ghaffarian Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very cool work! Getting to contribute as a part of the flight control team to the wellbeing of astronauts and progress of scientific advances in space is awe-inspiring.

Cons

Due to budget cuts and program cancellations over the years, morale has taken a downward turn. Due to low morale, a somewhat rigid 9-5 culture, and very dated facilities-- this becomes a challenging environment for an energetic, enthusiastic, optimist. Unfortunately, due to 'big aerospace' bureaucracy, somebody who seeks to contribute and affect change within the organization can often times feel frustrated and out of place.

8. "Poor Guidance for Young Engineers"

I have been working at Stinger Ghaffarian Technologies full-time

Pros

You get to work at NASA. The culture at NASA (at least in my branch) is awesome, engineers have fairly flexible work schedules, and you get to interact with extraordinarily intelligent people on a regular basis.

SGT offers no further Pros.

Cons

There is little to no guidance to young engineers about how to advance your career.
    Also, young engineers are grossly underpaid.

Advice to Management

Pay your young people more, or they will leave; this is already happening. Plan for the future when your senior guys leave. Presently, I would not recommend our company to one of my friends who is early in their career.

9. "Great Place to Work!"

Current Employee - Technical Specialist in Greenbelt, MD
    Current Employee - Technical Specialist in Greenbelt, MD

Pros

I've been working at SGT for little over a year now, and I've enjoyed it a lot so far. There's job security as long as you're doing direct work (on a contract for a customer). I enjoy being able to go to Goddard for meetings or just to have lunch or work for a few hours. I think it does depend on your supervisor, but their policies on work life are good; flexible hours (obvs depends on your actual job), understanding supervisors. The benefits are great. They offer tuition reimbursement, which goes up in amount when you've been at the company longer, which ultimately makes it a better tuition offering than my old job, which was at a University.

Cons

If you're nervous about contract work, this might not be the place for you unless you can get over that. From what I've seen, it's not typical that they let go of a person once a contract is over, but it's always a risk. If you prefer to only work one job and have one project, you need to let your supervisor know that or you might start to collect charge numbers. This is only a con for people who aren't into having several things going at once. For me, it's awesome. (As a sidenote, being on multiple contracts is great protection against being let go because one contract is up.)

Advice to Management

My only advice to management is based on other reviews I've read here -- it seems like supervisors aren't across the board awesome. Mine are and I've loved every minute of working here. I recommend SGT to every friend that's looking for something new. But it looks like there are some supervisors who aren't doing their best to serve the people who work for them, who aren't super supportive and aren't helping to make everyone succeed. I would recommend a leadership development program to find the great ones and teach the ones that need help. You'll keep a lot more people and you'll train leaders in the company at the same time. Win win!

10. "Engineer"

Current Employee - Engineer in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Engineer in Houston, TX

I have been working at Stinger Ghaffarian Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The work is fun and exciting

Cons

It is a government contractor and subject to the whims of a federal budget and new administration.