Stinger Ghaffarian Technologies Reviews | Glassdoor

3.7
Kam Ghaffarian

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "I have no cons about the company" (in 3 reviews)

• "The make a lot of promises but do not follow through" (in 2 reviews)

1. "Good experience"

I worked at Stinger Ghaffarian Technologies full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good professional environment to work in. Benefits were improved as the company grew.

Cons

I had no issues. Some internal operations like expense reports were not automated yet.

2. "Decent Government Contracting Company"

Current Employee - Research Engineer
    Current Employee - Research Engineer

I have been working at Stinger Ghaffarian Technologies full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Better salary than being a Civil Servant :-). Generally the company seemed to be run by decent people.

HR was really helpful when I had to adjust my schedule for health issues. Despite being a female in a heavily male-dominated industry, I never felt uncomfortable at work because everybody acted professional. I never felt looked-down-on for being female.

Cons

Really the only way to get promoted is to move up in management. It is not clear what is required to get to the next level. If you don't want to be a manager, there is no clear way to grow. There is no mentoring and no clear delineation between different levels of work. The money offered for continuing education is laughably small and difficult to get.

Advice to Management

Have some way for employees who don't want to be managers to move up in level and to expand their expertise.

3. "Not a fast pace, career growing place"

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Stinger Ghaffarian Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- i had good team members and manager

Cons

- lots of work very little pay
    - very bad review process, no bonus/appropriate salary raise
    - flexibility to work from home is slowly going away

Advice to Management

please treat the employee with good salary and bonus. give them more flexibility

"Working at NASA is awesome."

Current Employee - Engineer III in Greenbelt, MD
    Current Employee - Engineer III in Greenbelt, MD

Pros

Working at NASA is awesome, the quality of people here are great.
    Working here as a contractor is less awesome, but not so much that it isn't worth it to work here.

Cons

We sit next to civil servants who do the same work, or even less technically demanding work in some cases, and are compensated significantly less. I recently got a significant pay bump and now make what a government counterpart of mine made 3 years ago.

The business office cares about winning contracts, and they do that by keeping costs of the actual work low, with low salaries on the technical side.

Advice to Management

People are jumping ship, and that shouldn't come as a surprise to you.

5. "Procurment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greenbelt, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greenbelt, MD

I have been working at Stinger Ghaffarian Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There is a lot of flexibility and opportunities to work from home.

Cons

They do not look out for the "worker bees". The salaries and promotions are not great. The make a lot of promises but do not follow through.

"Depends on what's important to you"

Current Employee - Flight Controller in Houston, TX

I have been working at Stinger Ghaffarian Technologies full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible work schedule: get your hours in and get your work done and you can adjust your schedule as you see fit with little interaction with management
    Exciting work: International Space Station work is ever evolving, we're always involved and contribute to the program.
    Same responsibility as NASA federal employees: we work alongside NASA employees and do the same work so the NASA employees aren't our bosses but our peers unlike most contracts

Cons

As a certified flight controller, you often work nights and weekends
    you're often rewarded for good work with more work and more shifts
    Multiple levels of management; often get conflicting reports from same management chain
    When SGT took over the contract they promised little to no change to policies, lied, then changed policies exactly how they said they wouldn't (comp time was made more difficult to accrue; promotions don't come as often as promised)
    NASA employees are our peers yet we get paid significantly less for doing the same work and our benefits are less inclusive than the federal employees.
    After 6 years of work, I'm barely making the same amount of money my peers were making as their starting salary straight out of college.
    High turnover - people seek out private companies who do exciting work for more money, better benefits, arguably better locations

Advice to Management

Raise wages to be more competitive with other aerospace companies
    Improve incentives for extra long hours/commitments - raise "cert/flight pay"

7. "Great Company"

I have been working at Stinger Ghaffarian Technologies full-time

Pros

Really committed to growth, great culture

Cons

Can be a little disorganized

8. "Great work environment"

Current Employee - Flight Controller in Houston, TX

I have been working at Stinger Ghaffarian Technologies part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Managers that care, great communication, interesting work

Cons

Bureaucracy can be troublesome

9. "Excellent Company for Self-Driven Engineers"

Current Employee - Systems Engineer/Architect in Sioux Falls, SD
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer/Architect in Sioux Falls, SD

Pros

Competitive salary and benefits. Broad range of positions for growth and expansion. Decent on-boarding and training processes. Genuinely seems to care about its people.

Cons

Can get lost in large company infrastructure.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing.

10. "Great Company"

Current Employee - South Dakota in Sioux Falls, SD
    Current Employee - South Dakota in Sioux Falls, SD

I have been working at Stinger Ghaffarian Technologies full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great company that cares about it's employees. Great communications and good benefits. Company is a great company to work for.

Cons

I can't say that there are many cons to talk about. Company has been very good with how employees are treated.