Stinson Morrison Hecker Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Document Specialist"

Former Employee - Document Specialist in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Document Specialist in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Stinson Morrison Hecker full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Competitive pay. Great Benefits. Modern stylish offices. Dedication to technology. Most team members were friendly and easy to work with. Always willing to back each other up and provide support.

Cons

Not a con specifically, but be aware that it is a large law firm and as such you have to understand and be on board with large law firm culture. This can be an advantage or disadvantage depending on your personality and mindset.

Advice to Management

Consider offering education and growth opportunities for the staff that is outside of their day-to-day positions for those who wish to partake. This would help all staff understand the roles of other departments and how they play into the bigger picture of a large law firm's client services.

2. "Not a staff friendly environment"

Current Employee - Legal Assistant in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Legal Assistant in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Stinson Morrison Hecker full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

If you want just a job and are not looking for anything else you might be okay.

Cons

Management has no clue what is going on with their staff. Staff reports directly to HR which is a conflict of interest. So staff do not have any support in any way. HR people do not know the legal field so they keep making changes that create more work for the staff. HR does not understand that the staff have spent years learning their particular field of expertise just like an attorney.

Advice to Management

Replace all your HR staff with qualified, experienced personnel with a legal firm background. Staff should report to their direct managers (timekeepers) and HR should be where staff goes for help and support and mediation and, of course, to facilitate hiring.

3. "Associate"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

Pros

Good people and top-notch legal work

Cons

Work expectations were unreasonable
    Low pay compared to other firms

4. "Good benefits"

Former Employee - Help Tesr in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Help Tesr in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Stinson Morrison Hecker (More than a year)

Pros

Coworkers very nice and pleasant. Management steps in and helps on tasks at times. Shows they're not too good to do jobs.

Cons

It is frustrating when attorneys mobile devices get locked out and they have trouble resetting their password.

5. "Great Place to Work"

Pros

Great environment to work in and friendly management.

Cons

There weren't any cons working here.

Advice to Management

No advice to the management

6. "Hard Place"

Former Employee - Executive Assistant to Chief Financial Officer, CIO, CMO in Overland Park, KS

I worked at Stinson Morrison Hecker full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It is a well respected law firm.

Cons

The law firm culture caters to lawyers as gods. Secretaries are seen and not heard. Like the dark ages.

Advice to Management

Increase quality of jobs there if employees are treated like people. Give employees option to evaluate superiors.

7. "Good company with good core group of people"

I have been working at Stinson Morrison Hecker full-time

Pros

Good company to work for, they treat their employees well. Salaries aren't great.

Cons

Too many individuals that don't have enough to do.

Advice to Management

Cut back on those positions that aren't needed to keep costs down.

8. "Its a great company if you don't want advancement"

Current Employee - Legal Secretary
    Current Employee - Legal Secretary

I have been working at Stinson Morrison Hecker full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

small raises every year; free monthly Staff lunches

Cons

No work life balance or paid maternity leave unless you're an Attorney

Advice to Management

Let the HR Department do their jobs, they are there for a reason; and, stop letting the Partners make all the decisions...care more about your Staff

9. "Excellent regional firm with national reach."

I worked at Stinson Morrison Hecker full-time

Pros

Work with skilled lawyers servicing sophisticated clients.

Cons

Multiple offices can make it difficult to have a steady flow of work within your practice area.

10. "Too many issues being ignored"

Former Employee - Marketing in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Marketing in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Stinson Morrison Hecker full-time

Pros

1. The staff and attorneys in general are all very nice. I worked at Stinson for more than 10 years and built some great friendships.

2. Some departments, like Accounting, were good at encouraging staff development and training.

3. The IT department provides great in-house training for staff and attorneys. I learned a lot from them over the years.

4. Nice environment.The interior spaces are being renovated even though they were nice as-is.

5. Attorneys and staff seem to really care about client success. Attorneys typically work well in a team environment.

Cons

1. My former boss was very caring in wanted her staff to succeed, grow, etc. My latest boss was more concerned with making himself look good and lost sight of the need for professional growth among our team. He encouraged professional development, but he didn't give you time to do it. Plus, he actually asked a staff person why she was even bothering with getting her MBA because he wasn't going to promote her. Very rude and demeaning.

2. We also had issues with some team members not having clear-cut job descriptions. This meant that some of us were doing the majority of work, while others were spending time traveling to meetings and creating more work for others. Of course, the planning/meeting people were paid about twice what the workers bees are paid. So that doesn't help the situation.

3. People were not replaced if they quit. It could take months to years to hire a new replacement that was perfect enough for the hiring manager. Sometimes, they didn't replace a staff member at all. They would just want the other team members to pick up the slack. I know this isn't abnormal, but it's very frustrating when it occurs so frequently.

4. Bonuses were given to attorneys and some staff, but not all. My department never gave out bonuses even though I felt like we deserved them. My boss told people that our department was OK, but no one went above and beyond their duties to get a bonus. Maybe that's because we were all so bogged down in work that we didn't have time to take on extra projects. Again, staff your department better so that they don't burn out.

Advice to Management

The overall firm management is fine. I had no issues with them. My problem was with our hiring managers and some C-Suite execs. There were certain execs that only worked a few days a week while their small staff handled the majority of their work. Those staff eventually burned out and left. Even some of the new staff hires have recently left after figuring out what's going on. Firm Management needs to stop this from happening or certain departments will never be able to retain good staff because of their poor leadership.