Stitch Fix Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated February 18, 2018

Full-timePart-time

3.6

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work from home on your own schedule (in 96 reviews)

• Flexible hours and wonderful people (in 50 reviews)

Cons
  • Limited room for growth from home (in 18 reviews)

• They want you to be able to identify, no matter if you are the CEO or a part-time stylist, this company is personable (in 21 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"I really like this job!"

Current Employee - Data Scientist in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Data Scientist in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Stitch Fix full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You couldn't ask for better coworkers than our team. People are smart, friendly, interesting, not overly stressed out. There's a lot of knowledge sharing and a healthy amount of joking around. There's also a lot of freedom to work on problems that interest you, and to have significant control over the direction of your projects. It's pretty easy to have big business impact. I've been here quite a while and am still having a good time.

There are also general perks like 4 month paid maternity and paternity leave, unlimited vacation, and not overly long hours.

Cons

There are times when it's a little too corporate-y. But I think that's a little inevitable at our size, and I think management is really well-intentioned and tries hard to make the company a positive place to work (and succeeds, for the most part).

Advice to Management

I think there could be somewhat better management and organization of people in different parts of the business. All the interconnections can feel a little overwhelming and wild west at times. But on the bright side, I think it happens because of how many cool projects we do.

2. "Stylist"

I have been working at Stitch Fix part-time

Pros

- fun work
    - positive company culture

Cons

None at this time, sometimes working remote is hard!

3. "Stylist"

Current Employee - Stylist in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Stylist in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Stitch Fix part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing flexibility and a fun, creative role. Great culture and positive leadership.

Cons

There aren’t any. No company is perfect but I can honestly say that this has been a dream (PT) job for me.

4. "Amazing Culture"

Former Employee - Senior Stylist in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Stylist in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Stitch Fix full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great supportive culture and flexibility

Cons

Even though remote, you must live in a hub city/state :(

"Love the flexibility, but you'll be stuck in the same spot - not a place for growth"

Current Employee - Senior Stylist in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Stylist in Austin, TX

I have been working at Stitch Fix part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I stayed for the flexibility and nice pay while looking for something out of college. My first lead was incredible and personable, without micromanaging too much - I felt happy with her level of communication and candor. It's awesome if you are a SAHM or needing supplemental income to another part time or freelance job.

Cons

Believe all those telling you that there is no room for growth. My performance was consecutively stellar for months but there is no monetary bonus or raise to be heard of, and it doesn't seem to be in the woodwork. Unless you want to be a Lead, there is no room here to grow regardless of performance or tenure.

The inventory has improved but is still incredibly tricky, especially in seasonal transitions and for larger sizes

The job gets repetitive even with different clients

Some leads are much pickier/micromanaging than others, which can feel frustrating and condescending at times

Advice to Management

I've said it many times - give your tenured and high-performing stylists room to grow or be paid more for their achievements. It is incredible to have a woman-dominated company that provides benefits and flexibility. Don't squander the talents and enthusiasm of high performers - give them incentives to not burn out in this repetitive role.

Make the "remote" truly remote - allow work outside of hub cities, especially given the expansion of team members to the NY/NJ area that is already underway

6. "Remote Stylist"

I worked at Stitch Fix part-time

Pros

-You get to be creative
    -You really get to help women/men look and feel good
    -Training process is great
    -Choose what days you want to work

Cons

-They control how many hours you work (Ex. only 15 hours for the week)
    -Really strict (depending on who your lead is)

"Independent work, expect to work off the clock a lot"

Current Employee - Stylist in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Stylist in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Stitch Fix part-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Make your own hours
    -Competitive starting pay
    -Visually stimulating
    -Form great connections with clients
    -Positive communication between lead and stylists

Cons

-Work off the clock A LOT between reading and answering emails, staying up to date with company news, reading client feedback, and escalating client issues in order to stay within quota
    -The overly positive communication can come off as fake or ingenuine at times
    -Working remotely can get lonely
    -Isn't a lot of room for "alternative girls"; i.e., if you weren't in a sorority/ have a husband + baby/ talk in upspeak a lot/ aren't into bougie things it feels like you don't fit in.
    -When inventory is low, it's incredibly frustrating to style

Advice to Management

Give stylists more time to style each Fix. When I spend extra time (more than 15 minutes) on a Fix, my KR and Level of Satisfaction from the client goes up.

"Incentives and self management policies would go a long way"

Current Employee - Stylist in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Stylist in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Stitch Fix part-time (More than a year)

Pros

* Employee Discount
    *Work From Home

Cons

*No raises or bonuses based on performance or tenure. Whatsoever.
    *No room for career growth.
    *Very limited inventory.
    *Micromanagement style.
    *Understanding that you will absolutely be working off the clock to meet metrics.
    *Work truly needs to be completed mon-thurs during morning hours if you want reasonable metrics.

Advice to Management

You truly must understand that incentives based on performance and tenure are vital to keeping your team happy. Also, please understand that one hour a week to manage endless emails, reading and actually processing feedback, and other admin tasks is just not tenable. Since there are no raises or incentives you perform to avoid being nagged. Micromanagement style is rampant. TB's are clunky and often ineffective. It is also not scalable for those of us with jobs to block out hours during the workday for calls and team meetings. Please reevaluate your times on these with that consideration in mind. We aren't all housewives.

9. "If you're looking for something to hold you over until you find a better job"

Former Employee - Printing Associate/Warehouse Associate in South San Francisco, CA

I worked at Stitch Fix full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great hours with lots of overtime!!

Cons

They would rather give you free snacks then to give you a raise at the end of the day the snacks or a tax write-off at the end of the year

Advice to Management

Stop showing favoritism and reward the employees with the top numbers!! And not just your friends

"A great in-between job"

Former Employee - Client Experience Agent in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Client Experience Agent in Austin, TX

I worked at Stitch Fix full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- female leadership
    - beautiful downtown office
    - free weekly lunch
    - fun coworkers
    - flexible schedule
    - great benefits

Cons

- can feel like a dead-end
    - cliqueish
    - advancement opportunities are few and far between
    - if your lead isn't a good match for you, then you basically will never move up

Advice to Management

They've already changed the policy where you have to go through your lead to apply for a promotion which is a step in the right direction. Focus more on developing your internal talent rather than hiring from external candidates for low level leadership positions. Value tenured employees more.