Stitch Fix Employee Reviews about "part time"

Updated Jan 24, 2021

Found 87 of over 1K reviews

3.7
Stitch Fix Founder & CEO Katrina Lake
Katrina Lake
Pros
  • "Work from home or at a coffee shop(in 218 reviews)

• "Flexible schedule, great pay, fun job(in 99 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Company-wide closure for national holidays does not include part-time stylists(in 154 reviews)

• "Minimal benefits for part-time employees(in 63 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Stitch Fix and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "part time"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0

Great place to work!

Dec 20, 2020 - Stylist in Dallas, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

Flexible work schedule, promoter of work-life balance, amazing culture

Cons

Minimal benefits for part-time employees

2. 2.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Stylist part time

Dec 16, 2020 - Stylist
      Business Outlook

Pros

You can work remotely and set your own hours (when the system works properly). Easy to fit in around another full time job

Cons

This company is a mess. They constantly have errors preventing stylists from pulling fixes. This week (the 3rd week in a row they’ve had these errors constantly) they said that if you are unable to pull fixes that you just have to log out after 1.5 hours of non styling time for the whole week. Meaning you aren’t getting paid for your 15 hours due to errors inside the company that are not stylists fault. You only get 2 weeks of UNPAID time off per year and there’s no benefits for part time.

6 people found this review helpful
    3. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Wear Your Rose Colored Glasses

Jan 24, 2021 - Senior Stylist
      Business Outlook

Pros

Flexible schedule, kind and accessible leadership, no experience required

Cons

Company-wide closure for national holidays does not include part-time stylists. Must work day of with limited resources and use UPTO, or add hours to a different day. Transparency is appreciated, but must be discussed in appropriate company “language”. Indirect pressure to exude positivity and perfectionism.

4. 1.0
      Current Employee

Do not work here; do not shop here.

Jan 11, 2021 - Stylist in Pittsburgh, PA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Fun work, when available Flexible hours when inventory permits When I joined Stitch Fix in September of 2019, the above two items were true along with other enjoyable pluses. I'm a contract worker, so a flexible part-time schedule at a 15 hr/wk minimum was great for filling between dry spells of work. However, the company has pulled a complete 180 in the last year. We rarely have work (see Cons), and when we do, inventory is only acceptable for a few hours a day. Flexibility is no longer an option if I want to meet my very stringent metric.

Cons

Systems constantly shut down Limited hours Hours are cut without warning or explanation Unclear communication from management No incentive to excel Tenured & high-performing stylists do not receive extra rewards for work No transparency or ability to communicate with upper management Put simply, this is a bad place to work. The work itself is already fast-paced and tough, and without the proper resources, it is draining. We are expected to style a client in 12 minutes regardless of inventory conditions or technical issues. If the styling platform is down, employees are not compensated for their time but are rather asked to move their hours to the company's convenience. Hours can be cut below the 15 hr/wk minimum with no explanation, and because our HR does not handle scheduling, there is nobody we can reach out to. Management on all levels is unresponsive and unhelpful. It is unclear if these cuts to hours qualify us for PUA, which seems like an intentional move from corporate to avoid paying unemployment. Communication from management, when it does come, is infantilizing and dismissive. Stylists are told to "think creatively" and use their "#stitchfixgrit" to get their Fixes done. Hours are not prioritized, and the overall tone is that we are seen as wine moms doing this job for the employee discount and not actual workers who rely on this paycheck. Tenured and high-performing stylists do not receive higher compensation for their work, nor are their hours prioritized. I have a backlog of about 100 relationship clients that I am not permitted to style due to hour maximums. For my performance, I'm saddled with new and extra responsibilities with no change in pay and no extra support. Bonus knocks: they laid off all of their California stylists during the pandemic. Despite company-wide cuts to working hours, they're still hiring? It's bizarre, and frankly, insulting. Do not work here and do not shop here.

13 people found this review helpful
    5. 2.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Maybe I'm just burnt out

Dec 3, 2020 - Stylist
      Business Outlook

Pros

Pretty decent pay for a job working remotely with a (somewhat) flexible schedule, can be fun styling clients when there is actually inventory available.

Cons

I've been with Stitch Fix almost 5 years working as a stylist. I did not mean to stay this long, but the money is very hard to walk away from. In my years here I have seen a lot change, some things, like the technology, have changed for the better, however the same problems seem to persist. There are far more seasons that I can recall where inventory was absolutely and completely lacking. There may be a summer or fall here or there where there was an abundance of fun, trendy items to send to clients. However, like I said, that same problem seems to repeat itself, and while I appreciate that Stitch Fix follows a no waste model for buying merchandise, something really needs to change. It is INCREDIBLY challenging for stylists to meet their metrics, and you may get some leeway for a week or two, but if your metrics continue to suffer you have to go on a performance plan, even though it's technically not your fault. The social media campaigns very frequently feature items that are bought at a very low level, so we can rarely fill client requests for things they see online or in ads. Much of the inventory is repetitive and un-unique. But, we do our best to try and please the clients And management. When I first started, there was a separate social platform for stylists to engage on and get help with Fixes, and they eventually merged that to something more streamline, which is fine. However, like others have said, that platform was initially wilted down even more, and now we can only converse freely with stylists in our region. In addition, part time stylists get zero benefits. We do accrue sick time, but at one point, they even cut that down, which most definitely is what we would call a pay cut. A stylist earns one hour for every 30 worked, and for people that may have health issues, that is pitiful.

8 people found this review helpful
    6. 3.0

Glad I'm no longer there

Oct 20, 2020 - Stylist in Dallas, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

1. Pay 2. Flexibility 3. Employee Discount

Cons

So many.... 1. Expectations and metrics: unrealistic because they don’t fluctuate based on inventory. There are hundreds of reviews on the negatives/cons and PLEASE DO YOURSELF A FAVOR AND BELIEVE THEM. I got dinged on stupid stuff like sleeve length and inseam, even when I was following a guide. Also, how is it that the metric that has the most weight has a moving target??? How is that ok? That basically means that they were expecting unrealistic goals and whatnot and basically wanted stylists to sell their souls to Stitch Fix – not happening. The only time you can ‘flex down’ aka lower your quota is if you have a group or 1-1 call or have to listen to all the upspeak during a stylist call. If inventory is sucky, oh well, figure it out and make sure you hit your numbers (modern-day slavery). 2. Inventory: As others have mentioned the inventory is overpriced, expensive and outdated. We can have a client from the age of 13-100 for goodness sake. Not everyone wants to wear a floral doily or flowy clothing. Just because someone is plus doesn’t mean they want to wear dark colors the size of a tent all the time. Clients are constantly telling stylists that they want cutting edge, trendy pieces and we’re forced to send them things that they’ve seen before, have horrible patterns and cheap fabric. 3. Company culture: Now, because I was remote, I didn’t necessarily care so much about the disconnect amongst peers. I felt more connected through the forum we used but that’s because it was a space for others to voice the same feelings as me – burned out, exhausted, etc. The passive aggressiveness is real. They say they support you but that really means to look at mounds of collateral and figure it out. 4. COVID: They laid off a ton of workers in Cali but kept hiring. That ain’t right. Even when hours and inventory were fluctuating, they didn’t really accommodate the pandemic well. As I mentioned above, the metrics didn’t fluctuate due to inventory, which sucks ALL.THE.TIME. 5. Overall, when I started, it was alright! My manager was great and it wasn’t as crazy as it is now. At one point, they wanted us to do 5 Fixes an hour (that decreased, slightly, after so many stylists complained). That meant, in a matter of 12 minutes, you had to: 1) read all their feedback, at least enough to understand fit and style (good luck with the clients that had 90 Fixes in their history), 2) read through their profile and hope that the inventory matched the demand, 3) God forbid they put in a request because guaranteed you won’t find what they want, 4) write a note that’s at least 800 characters long, 5) and ensure that every piece you send is Client-right. In 12 minutes, I’ve barely breathed 5 times, let alone put a Fix together that’s perfect for a client. The only way to do that is if inventory is acting right and it’s a clients first 5 Fixes. After that, they get picky and inventory continues to suck. How any of the people who reviewed this company lasted more than 2 years is beyond me. Maybe they were just that much better than me. But, I’m about protecting my peace and this job was causing so much anxiety that it was affecting my health. If you’re considering Stitch Fix, just make sure you’ve read through the reviews first. Everyone says the same thing and it’s true. I JUST ended my tenure there and it was getting ridiculous. I waited some time before putting out this review because I wanted to see how my life had changed. Let me tell you, it was a weight off my shoulders and my anxiety has been so much better. It wasn’t horrible those first 6 months, but when the pandemic happened, that’s when you know what hit the fan. I do hope that Stitch Fix becomes more flexible with their expectations because it’s only going to get worse. They are trying to chuck out more and more Fixes and working their stylists to the bone. I wouldn’t say it was the worst place I’ve worked at because I’ve had some crappy, crazy part-time jobs that were much worse. But, if you want to have a good life and not be anxious all the time, avoid at all costs. It’s not worth the pennies they pay you.

15 people found this review helpful
    7. 5.0

Great Company

Sep 30, 2020 - Stylist in San Francisco, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great leadership, Flexible Schedule, Fun Environment, Company Growth

Cons

No part-time CA positions are available

8. 5.0
      Current Employee

Fun

Oct 1, 2020 - Stylist in Dallas, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

Remote work makes it easy to get hours in

Cons

There are none, great place to work part time

9. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Rewarding Work

Oct 2, 2020 - Stylist in Minneapolis, MN
      Business Outlook

Pros

Creative, challenging, fun, flexible hours

Cons

Part time so no benefits

1 person found this review helpful
    10. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

SO disappointed in this company — do NOT apply here if you care about ethical leadership

Jun 3, 2020 - Remote Stylist in San Diego, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

I LOVED working at Stitch Fix for the majority of my time there. Here are the best things about working as a stylist: - Phenomenal, in-depth training - Support from team leads, mentors, customer service, and development - Opportunities for growth - Strong community of remote stylist - Fair pay and good discount - Fully-remote work

Cons

If you had asked me a week ago, I would have said none. Now, I realize how skewed my idea of the company and its executive leadership really was. As one of the thousands of employees who were laid-off with two days' notice and no more explanation than two paragraphs from a random manager, I realize how little anyone at the top cares about the lowly part-time stylists who keep them in business. I was one of the top stylists in my region and I recruited people to work alongside me because of how passionately I felt about this company. I also told everyone I know to join Stitch Fix as a client. Now, I will never buy another piece of clothing from them again and I will discourage my community from doing so. If this decision had nothing to do with the pandemic, I cannot begin to understand why the company couldn't wait to let people get back on their feet before pulling the rug out from under them. Many employees lost their full-time work and relied solely on income from Stitch Fix. Now, they're being told to "file for unemployment before the window closes."

28 people found this review helpful