Stone Academy Reviews | Glassdoor

CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "great company"

I worked at Stone Academy full-time

Pros

I was given the opportunity to work independently

Cons

hours you have to work evenings

Advice to Management

great company lots of opportunity for the one who makes an effort

2. "Instructor"

I worked at Stone Academy full-time

Pros

The students are eager to learn

Cons

The school is a for profit institution that expects instructors to fail students! The Administration is not supportive of instructors or students.

Advice to Management

Get organized and synchronized with the other campuses on policies.

3. "Waste of Time"

Pros

Some of the students really want to improve their lives and learn English and it was a pleasure to help them.

Cons

Poorly managed, backstabbing, negative work environment. There is no open communication. The school worries about profit more than education and will enroll students who are not ready to learn. This creates a difficult situation for students and staff combined.

Advice to Management

Respect your faculty, who put a lot of time into lesson planning and include them in staff meetings. Stop believing in gossip and develop an open door policy of direct communication. Finally enroll students who are ready to learn so that you can develop a institution with a better reputation.

4. "Student Nurse"

Current Employee - Student
    Current Employee - Student

I have been working at Stone Academy full-time

Pros

Stone Academy is here to help anyone who are interested in helping themselves and making a difference to their community.

Cons

I am a mature student in the LPN program and I could not do it without the help of all the faculties at Stone Academy. I respect and appreciates these people million percent. The problem with a lot of people, they do not want to adhere to regulation and principle, and as a student and a law abiding person...stone academy is the place to be.

Advice to Management

Please continue to be the support that you are for all the people who need your help. Also I just want to say thank you for all the support you have given me. To ALL The Directors and LPN team, God bless you all.

5. "Administrative Assistant"

Current Employee - Administraive Assistant
    Current Employee - Administraive Assistant

I have been working at Stone Academy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Cons

None that I can think of at the current time. Extremely hostile work environment has left me fielding calls from attorneys, previous students, and local news outlets. Bullying and harassment continue on a daily basis, as uncovered by a previous stiudent.

Advice to Management

I can't really offer any advice at this time for fear of losing my job. Reporters, Students, and attorneys call on a daily basis trying to reach other staff and I have been advised just to lie and put them through to voicemail.

6. "Ups & Downs of Trying to Create Positive Anything Out of Chaos"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Haven, CT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Haven, CT

I worked at Stone Academy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Opportunity to teach and execute new ideas to a mixed audience of those eager to learn, those who know they need to learn, and a few belligerent types who will challenge you.

Cons

Lack of consistency & cohesion as to teaching, intern/externship, & placement strategies from management; everything seems to be different at each campus. Mixed support from peers; each decides whether or not they like you before working positively with you. More than one teacher sees themself as a nurturer: I'll help you pass rather than professional educators who create independent adults. For staff: no training, no contacts or history of procedures and outreach other than in task-oriented classes.

Advice to Management

Update staff & classroom technology to be reliable and consistent with the world of work. Provide training for proprietary systems. Encourage employees to interact with peers @ other campuses. Encourage teachers to reach out & socialize with guests rather than each other at events.

7. "Do As You Say/Instruct Your Students"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Haven, CT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Haven, CT

I worked at Stone Academy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Clean, welcoming, supportive and friendly environment for students and staff. Accreditation was current. Students are participatory and paychecks didn't bounce.

Cons

Other than the L.P.N. program, Stone Academy in West Haven is focused on numbers of students rather than people genuinely interested in and suited for the health care programs offered. This leads to attrition, too many ill-equipped, uninterested, and poor to failing students. This creates discipline problems, apathy, and negatively affects even the most independent learners.

Externship and Placement opportunities are limited. For a school that has been established 100 years, employers should be contacting Stone for new grads to become externs and employees. That being said and not happening, Admissions and Career Services should be creating marketing campaigns together to find prospective employers.

From Day One, students must receive instruction about professional attire, attitude, behavior, and how to look for a job in an organized, efficient, and direct way. Stone Academy must focus on seeking, creating, and sustaining student & graduate-to-employer relationships as it became obvious repeat business was inadequate to sustain the numbers of students and graduates.

Advice to Management

Streamline and consolidate so all three campuses work together and support each other in every department.

For example, provide Career Services with the same training and resources and the opportunity to support and rely upon each other. A consistent and established program of up-to-date job search preparation including attire, attitude, communication, finding opportunities, and follow-up. It is so easy now to create and establish an easily updated database of prospective employers. The world of work has changed drastically in the past ten years and focusing on how companies hire now is the only way graduates will land jobs.

Introduce yourself to all new employees, there aren't that many. Hold management, such as School Directors, to the same dress and behavior codes expected of students.

Update the computer systems for staff and students. Systems need to be consistently new and reliable. This is reality, no one has time to waste "due to technical difficulties". Examples: needing to repeatedly log online because the internet connection is lost. Microsoft Office 2010 is considered outdated and Stone still uses considerably older versions.

Recycle all of that wasted paper in the computer labs. All people have to do is turn the paper over so it feeds into a printer properly. Stone would save thousands of dollars on paper costs as well as be environmentally responsible.

Communicate clearly and directly about expectations, not thru a middle manager who may or may not deliver the information correctly or promptly.

8. "Poorly managed"

Current Employee - Educational in West Haven, CT
    Current Employee - Educational in West Haven, CT

I have been working at Stone Academy full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Students have opportunity for personal and professional growth when they complete educational programs

Cons

unethical methods of modeling, Management incompetencies, bully tactics

Advice to Management

Rethink conscience