StoneMor Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated February 9, 2017

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Lawrence Miller

Pros
  • Helping families pre-arrange their final arrangements so that their families don't have the financial or emotional burden (in 19 reviews)

• Meeting wonderful families in their time of need (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Sometimes there is no upper management but for some people that isn't a bad thing (in 20 reviews)

• Expected to do a ton of work for minimum wage earnings (in 13 reviews)

"Family Service Counselor"

Former Employee - Family Service Counselor in Durham, NC
    Former Employee - Family Service Counselor in Durham, NC

I worked at StoneMor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Loved working with the families

Cons

Stonemor does not care about your life and what you have to do. There main goal is to see that you as a employee get sales no matter what or how much time you spend getting them. They say that it is team work but that is wrong. You need to get your sales or you are out in a couple of months. They treat you less than human it is there way or the highway. Not the best company to work for.

Advice to Management

Need new and better ideas. Better working conditions, some of the offices worked in are trouble. You want people to pay money for there love ones to be laid to rest and the building looks trouble. one in mine Woodlawn Memorial Park. They give people different pay for the same job. Family Sales counselors working as assistance and getting paid for that and then doubling as a part-time sales counselor getting commission also. Not Fair at all. They have new sales managers there for a month and walks off the job as well as sales counselors. That should tell you something right there not the best. You let the best go. Get her Back.

"Basically a pyramid scheme"

Former Employee - Sales Counselor
    Former Employee - Sales Counselor

I worked at StoneMor full-time

Pros

Sometimes there were free donuts.

Cons

Extremely unethical company, they know they cannot support a full sales staff on the amount of business that is regularly made at their offices, but they will lead you to believe one can make a fortune. Their convoluted commission scheme is basically a way for them to keep a full office staff on hand without having to pay them. The benefits package they offer cost more than marketplace insurance with subsidies that their staff will assuredly qualify for.

Advice to Management

Pay your staff adequately, or you will never be able to hold onto good people.

Feb 9, 2017 – Human Resources

Our leadership team has made significant efforts to build and train our sales force. We recently hired a new National Vice President of Sales to evaluate our sales operation, create new hire training ... More

"Mgr"

I have been working at StoneMor full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Love the Family Service, it's amazing that if you treat the families right, they will come back! Your greed has tied my hands!!!!

Cons

It's a joke! People that are amazing are getting fired.. it's all about lining people's pockets!! It is so sad.. Robin Hood, the Rich keep getting richer!!

Advice to Management

Stop being greedy! You say it's about the Families that we service, but at the end of the day, it's about Greed!! What can you do for me?? You raise the budget, there is NO Way it can be met... you are setting me up for failure!! No doubt!! I will give it a year...bankrupt!! It's coming!!

5. "The cautionary tale of a Family Services Counselor."

Former Employee - Family Service Counselor

I worked at StoneMor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent training. Supportive park manager.

Cons

Your not a counselor, this is a sales role in the death care industry. Absolutely the worst experience of my professional career once I went to my park. Non existent leads, prospecting was extremely difficult due to the nature of the product being sold. Unethical means of generating leads. Making the weekly quota was, nearly impossible for a new counselor unless there was at need death and the individual did not have burial essentials. You will be judged on how much Pre- Need sales is accomplished. They use a tool called the Family Planning Guide and a use of fear and used car sales techniques to get the prospect to buy space and burial essentials. Regardless, what your told in training, at-need takes up alot of time if your own desk duty. Commission's are OK if they give you it in its entirety. Good luck over 1/2 of the training class will not survive the first 90 days.Be prepared for 40+ hours and working weekends for 7.25 an hour if you didn't sell my thing that day.

Advice to Management

Keep the training. Dump the sales model. Implement technologies that were invented before the 1950s.

Feb 9, 2017 – Human Resources

While it has been difficult to ensure complete consistency of the employee experience across our hundreds of locations, we are committed to fostering a culture of leadership, support and success. We ... More

"Bad don't do it"

I worked at StoneMor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There isn't very much good I can say about this company. I wish them luck is all I can think of.

Cons

No support from upper management, low pay, to much work, going under, etc.....

Advice to Management

Learn from the past mistakes you have made this is your third try and it's not turning into a charm.

"Stonemor"

Current Employee - Family Service Counselor in Lansing, MI
    Current Employee - Family Service Counselor in Lansing, MI

I have been working at StoneMor full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great training we'll maintain cemeter

Cons

Tells you to put family first but only cares about profit unless there is the chance of lawsuit!
    Big glass house

Advice to Management

Don't cheat salespeople out of their commissions and trips

"Run away from this sham of a company. It is all a lie and they are going out of business."

Former Employee - Family Service Counselor

I worked at StoneMor (Less than a year)

Pros

I honestly can not fine one pro. Unless you like long hours, little pay and severe micro management. The only reason i gave it one star is, because zero or negative isn't an option

Cons

StoneMor is in the stone age. Everything is still wrote out on paper. And a lot of paperwork for everything. They record your dials on 4 different sheets everyday. You are expected to make 100 cold calls a day. This was a sales job not telemarketing. They mark the memorials up 350%. You heard that right. Ripping people off at a time of desperate need. Run away. Don't get involved with this company. You can only record 40 hours of work on your hand written time sheet, even though you work more like 50 to 60 hours a week. Mandatory call nights twice a week tell 8pm. If calling all day wasn't enough, now you can call some more.

Advice to Management

Fine a soul.

Jan 6, 2017 – Recruiting Coordinator

Your response is appreciated. We will be rolling out a new high-tech CRM system in Q1 2017. Coupled with enhanced training and development modules, we’ve brought on a team of seasoned coaches and ... More

"Sr. Accountant"

Former Employee - Senior Accountant in Langhorne, PA
    Former Employee - Senior Accountant in Langhorne, PA

I worked at StoneMor full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Busy and learning new things regularly. Directors and Managers know the business well

Cons

Furloughs and layoffs loom, Selling off business units.

Advice to Management

Make what you have work for you

"Memorial Counselor"

I worked at StoneMor full-time

Pros

Will hire you quickly (high employee turnover). Good if you are between jobs so you can look for something else.

Cons

Long hours, unrealistic sales expectations from management, terrible base pay, schiesty pay calculations, no travel compensation for sales calls.

"Long hours"

Pros

a rewarding feeling to help people

Cons

Long hours week end and most holidays

Advice to Management

Need to hire quality managers