StoneMor Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Paul Grady

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Sometimes there is no upper management but for some people that isn't a bad thing (in 21 reviews)

• Expected to do a ton of work for minimum wage earnings (in 15 reviews)

"Most horrible company and higher up management are bullies"

Former Employee - Location Sales Manager
    Former Employee - Location Sales Manager

I worked at StoneMor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Helping families at the hardest days of their lives.

Cons

Run as fast as you can! They will cheat you out of any commission you have coming, they keep taking down the commission rates. All they care about is $$$$ They want you to lie to families just to get the sale! horrifying!!

Advice to Management

You have lost alot of good people because of the way you treat them.

"decent job"

I have been working at StoneMor full-time

Pros

good pay with low expectations

Cons

the people you work with are not the brightest

"no training, no leads, no marketing"

I have been working at StoneMor full-time

Pros

base pay, benefits..can't think of the glassdorr's requirement of 5 words

Cons

no sales training, no marketing, sales methods based on SCI's failed '2-up' system of selling to grieving families, 30k/mo quota. Worst job I've ever had!

"My experience with Stonemor in the Southeast"

I worked at StoneMor (Less than a year)

Pros

There isn't one positive thing I can say.

Cons

Leadership is weak, egocentric, no viable strategy to hit numbers. Company struggles consistently with reaching numbers. No clear direction and company no willing to make investments necessary for new revenues. Culture is tense.

"Sales"

I have been working at StoneMor full-time

Pros

NOTHING I CAN THINK OF! that i gave it one star! I would have given it 0 .

Cons

RUN RUN RUN! This company is and has been falling apart for over a year now. Starting with the CEO leaving hmmm, Sadly, the stock even shows it! The cemeteries are falling apart and are in ruins. dont believe these reviews, (interestingly these last few months everyone is sooo happy and its all in the surrounding PA area (VA NC PA...) - employees have been bullied into asking to give it your best reviews by upper cause they even know its a bad place to work for! Lets start with these extravagant vacations, everyone knows if your income just isn't there, why are these vacations taking place? Do a survey. Employees want the money instead. Lawsuits are high! They train just anyone anywhere whoever sends in a resume. The human resources dept. needs training on who fits the best shoe to which cemetery, and if they need new trainees. PAY ATTENTION NEWBIES:::: Over hiring takes away from good hard working sales people, who eventually get pushed out the door looking for another job because they are not making the money they used to. They are hiring anyone to meet the numbers of sales people to applease the shareholders. Marketing needs training on how to advertise, who is your customer and what sells? (they must be inexperienced ) and uppers push and don't help their employees. All they want is numbers to look good while they have meetings all day (about what?) Here's food for thought: who gets the worm? the birdie who gets up and fly's looking for it? or the birdie who has meetings on how to look for worms? Unless you sell and bring in numbers, any number, your position is secure. Many good qualified sales / sales managers have quit and complained to no avail . go on shareholders- call past employees who were either fired or quit! Instead of trying to keep good/honest/hard working qualified employees, this company scares them out the door after many years of hard work with their toxic bully antics. Go on Shareholders- call this years past employees . Clean up always starts at the top. Like dusting! Needs a good dust off! Maybe, then you can win some past employees back with expertise and it could be the company it was years ago!

Advice to Management

My advice is that Management needs to sell. Or hire a Management team who has sold and understands the product. No more high brown nose uppers that talk talk and don't do the walk walk. Experience is Everything! Employees need to start at the bottom and work their way to the top, slowly and eventually. Not throw someone in a position who doesn't understand the cemetery business and the products. Cemeteries will sell what they have with qualified people. Also, the STONEMOR name has a bad reputation with stocks/shareholders not happy/bankruptcy??? maybe / lawsuits/ stock market not happy/ WHY just WHY would you want to advertise the name STONEMOR??? It's Embarrassing trying to explain the connection when the cemetery has another name, this is one way for customers to RUN RUN RUN!!!! This is the fault of Marketing and whoever promoted it . Also, these Chromebooks that employees are so uncomfortable using are time tedious and takes away from selling. Yes! To enter one persons lead takes 20 minutes, so why use these obsolete machines that we are not properly trained on and many many are not computer literate? Mirco Managing Beyond imagination- BIG Brother is watching and the old fashioned sales out the window. Who wants to 'log in leads' after work or on weekends? NOONE! Its Time Consuming, can you imagine talking to 20 people a day, that would take an entire day to fill this info into the chromebooks! I see balloons at a cemetery per pictures, balloons??? balloons are for kids parties, not for the people who past on. Many religions find this offensive when mourning is due for life, not a celebration! Whats works for the Atheist doesn't work for the religious.

"A challenging place to work"

Current Employee - Sales in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Sales in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at StoneMor (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very good benefits, just started adding CRM technology, Family planning guide provided to families at no charge is very helpful when somebody passes away. Weekly paychecks

Cons

Where do I begin!! poor upper management, offices facilities are a disaster, cemeteries are not maintained adequately, pricing of products and services are marked up 350%, sales, operations, and maintenance do not work in a cohesive manner and are often butting heads.

Advice to Management

Treat all employees better. More consistency and better oversight in managing all employees. Each cemetery or group of cemeteries should have one GM responsible for overall management of the location.

"Discrimination Inc should be the name of this company"

I worked at StoneMor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Beautiful, brand new state of the art office at corporate...integrated modern technology into funeral industry.

Cons

They fire pregnant people, discriminate against women, especially those who breastfeed and they also do not comply with laws, also falsely reported earnings to dividend investors. Company is a mess internally.

Advice to Management

Grow a set of ethics, stop using old outdated business models, embrace what it means to be a decent employer.....when you do those things the quality of your staff will improve, your overall business and profits would improve, especially your reputation which isn't' good on any level, in any market nationwide. You continuing to do things the old ways and mistreatment of employees are hindering your growth and overall business.

"Not recommended"

Pros

The people were great, they made it a worthwhile experience.

Cons

Upper management could care less about morale or employees leaving. Also, hope you're not interested in raises.

Advice to Management

Treat employees better, they're your best resource.

"Not what I signed up for. Sending out resumes."

Current Employee - Family Service Counselor
    Current Employee - Family Service Counselor

I have been working at StoneMor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Thoroughly trained and given all the informational tools for the ability to be very successful. Two weeks in the classroom and another four on site.

Cons

Being required to sit in the office a minimum of 28 hour and not being permitted to make outside sales appointments during those 28 hours makes it impossible to move above minimum wage. Employment Add says flexible hours and it is anything but. You are told to make 3 appointments a day and 18 per week but not actually permitted to do so.

Advice to Management

Have administration, receptionist and sales manager hold down the ship let sales people sell. Sales manager should not being going out on sales calls unless training while outside sales agents are required to stay at cemetery. This is not just an issue at one location, over half my class is putting out resumes.

StoneMor Response

Mar 1, 2017 – Human Resources

While it has been difficult to ensure complete consistency of the employee experience across our hundreds of locations, we are committed to fostering a culture of leadership, support and success. We... More

"Family Service Counselor"

Former Employee - Family Service Counselor in Durham, NC
    Former Employee - Family Service Counselor in Durham, NC

I worked at StoneMor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Loved working with the families

Cons

Stonemor does not care about your life and what you have to do. There main goal is to see that you as a employee get sales no matter what or how much time you spend getting them. They say that it is team work but that is wrong. You need to get your sales or you are out in a couple of months. They treat you less than human it is there way or the highway. Not the best company to work for.

Advice to Management

Need new and better ideas. Better working conditions, some of the offices worked in are trouble. You want people to pay money for there love ones to be laid to rest and the building looks trouble. one in mine Woodlawn Memorial Park. They give people different pay for the same job. Family Sales counselors working as assistance and getting paid for that and then doubling as a part-time sales counselor getting commission also. Not Fair at all. They have new sales managers there for a month and walks off the job as well as sales counselors. That should tell you something right there not the best. You let the best go. Get her Back.

StoneMor Response

Mar 1, 2017 – Recruiting Coordinator

We appreciate your response. Our leadership team has made significant efforts to build and train our sales force. We recently hired a new National Vice President of Sales to evaluate our sales... More