StoneMor Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated August 10, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Sometimes there is no upper management but for some people that isn't a bad thing (in 21 reviews)

• Expected to do a ton of work for minimum wage earnings (in 15 reviews)

"Unprofessional, antiquated and abusive"

I worked at StoneMor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The location employees were good to work with.

Cons

No sales data base or computer for sales managers, defiantly not family service. All paper, phone and fax. Welcome to the 40'S. The top Sales Management (Corporate) has not kept up with sales process and is reminiscent of Glengary Glen Ross (look up on youtube, even the spoofs will give you the idea). The sales commisions are ok but the manditory discount policy is a give away on the highest commissional items (land) so the employee gives half of the sale away. The "used car policy" also gives a cheap impression to families and a slimy feeling for the employee in industry that should have some Dignity. Service to families is made ONLY to get sales and done poorly, there is no corporate training standards on in house expectation and process, that was presented.
    I witnessed mass text to sales managers (all in CAPS) and abusive sales conferences that were personal degradation of managers. To say they had any feeling for their teams or people would not be consistent to their actions.
    I walked away after knowing I could not work for such an unprofessional company.

Advice to Management

INVESTIGATE AND TAKE ACTION!!!
    Hire young professionals and give them the freedom to change your company to update to todays business practices.
    OR SELL TO SCI AND MOVE ON.

"Do not work there"

Pros

You get paid minimum wage

Cons

Discrimination is there motto. These people are thieves who could care less u t

Advice to Management

Stop treating employees unfairly, up the pay, and stop stealing money

"Worst company I've ever worked for. They still owe me expense money. I watched fraud committed and they didn't care."

Pros

Nice property and very good ground staff.

Cons

Constant lies by regional manager. Non stop conference calls with total embarrassing comments made to people. Sales managers are constantly being harassed and cursed at. Company run extremely unprofessional. Total good old boys or women's club with favorites and people in charge who have no clue how to sell, just family that's worked for stonemor for years.

Advice to Management

All but one manger I spoke with while working for Stonemor had nothing but bad things to say about the company and their bosses. Every single one wanted to leave and work somewhere else if the opportunity came along. No regard for private beliefs as you are to work 7 days a week and Sunday is pushed as a big day and everyone told to work all day.

"Completely unprofessional"

Former Employee - Family Service Counselor in Wichita, KS
    Former Employee - Family Service Counselor in Wichita, KS

Pros

You get to help and comfort other's during their greatest time of need.

Cons

Zero training. I was terminated unrightfully in a hallway with no representation. I recently was offered a job again under new management. I moved from Iowa back to Kansas. Spent 3k and when I get here they tell me I'm not eligible for rehire. No call from HR or management. They had over a month to find out I couldn't be re hired or better yet, find out before offering me a job. What should I expect though from a company that kept a drunk woman on staff and a psycho who tormented everyone. DO NOT WORK FOR THIS COMPANY!!!

Advice to Management

I'd like to see if anyone would like to start a class action lawsuit with me. There is enough evidence between all of us that this company should be held liable. From discrimination, wrongful termination, bullying. I want to bring this company down!

"Micro Managed"

I worked at StoneMor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

As a Park Manager, the pay was below average from what I was used to, but fair. Enjoyed the people that I worked with, and helping grieving families gave some satisfaction that I was helping. The money doesn't start coming in until you reach the Area Manager level

Cons

I have never seen a company so out of touch with it's employees. It's a "churn and burn" type of organization. Very hard to hire for, due to the low wages. You end up hiring borderline welfare people because sharp people know better than to waste their time at StoneMor..
    They ask you to fill out a Life Evaluation Form, to help you lay out your priorities, then drive you 7 days a week.Our parks were located in an area, where most businesses were closed on Sunday. Church? Nevermind...be in the park by 10AM or else! Never in my time working in a park on Sunday, did I ever have any families come to the office for anything.
    Most of the time, meetings and conference calls.. trying to convince your under paid and overworked people not to quit. If someone quit, you were screwed. It was impossible to find a replacement, because anyone with any business sense steered clear of StoneMor.

Advice to Management

Run your company like you mean it. 300% plus turnover per year should tell you that something is very wrong with the company culture. It's toxic.

6. "manager"

Former Employee - Sales Manager

Pros

helping a family when they need some one to really care about what they going through.

Cons

the HR department don't do the job they are there for!! I supplied 5 witness's which involved wrong during by upper management and they were never called.

Advice to Management

learn how to treat people !!! don't have the HR department lie and cover things up for you!!

"Waste of your time and talent."

Former Employee - Sales Counselor
    Former Employee - Sales Counselor

I worked at StoneMor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Rumor has it, you potentially have the opportunity to help a family during a stressful, sad time.

Cons

If you love cold calling from an office trailer, prefer work over family, being micromanaged and receiving minimize wage, this job is for YOU!

Advice to Management

Training failed to mention the 6 days a week, 2 mandatory evenings and load of cold calling bad leads. Local management lacking in leadership qualities. At catholic cemeteries, zero support from local clergy and plenty of resistance and negativity brought on by area funeral directors. Add all that up and you'll want out the moment you get there. Avoid StoneMor. You're worth more at Walmart.

"Don't work here."

Former Employee - Family Service Counselor in Conshohocken, PA
    Former Employee - Family Service Counselor in Conshohocken, PA

I worked at StoneMor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It was a pretty cemetery, met some new people. The office where they train you is nice. (I was trained at the Fort Washington PA office)

Cons

Don't work here. You will work over 40hrs a week, working 6 days a week, for minimum wage. There is no work life balance and you'll be driving constantly. Commission is decent but there isn't enough training to prepare you for what they expect you to do. They want you to bring up past death experiences with families to make them feel guilty about not pre-planning for their families. It's all about the money. You will be cold-calling, people will be cursing you out constantly, and you're expected to meet people in their homes and you are not reimbursed for gas. You're better off working at a gas station or Walmart.

Advice to Management

Start over. Treat people like people.

"sales"

Current Employee - Sales in Muncie, IN
    Current Employee - Sales in Muncie, IN

I have been working at StoneMor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Bought our cemetery 2010, built a new maus that the old company was suppost to build for 5yrs. Let us offer a few more things to sale

Cons

1st thing lowered commissions 3 times since they took over, on cemetery, on funerals drop commissions 4% and more! If you makingthere buget your ok,
    You are expected to do most all cold calls for appt. They expect you to do most all promotion of business

Advice to Management

Work with your people, treat them the the way you would like to be treated! Help employee to better themselves , not brow beat them!

"Can"

Current Employee - Sales Counselor
    Current Employee - Sales Counselor

Pros

The only reason there is anything is because Glassdoor requires at least 5 words.

Cons

Upper management only sees the national picture, never the local views. When they provide "deals" to help you sale more it actually hurts your pay, because they offer the "specials" on the products that you make highest commission on. When I first started the were happy with our results, the minute the times get tough they will begin to start talking down to you in hopes it fires you up...

Nothing will fire you up about working 6-7 days a week at minimum wage, with barely any commission, very very few holidays off, no PTO, and vacation time is non-existent. I know a manager that has been doing this for years, and she only has 1 week of vacation after almost a decade of the funeral industry service. Don't this to yourself, if you have any respect for your community as well as your own well being, you won't go through the process of fighting tooth and nail to barely make ends meet. I have 2 jobs and this takes up so much time, I can't offset any loss I have at my other place of employment.

Advice to Management

The reason you don't make budget consistently or keep decent employees is because they are smart enough to figure out that they are wasting their time. I'm glad to be leaving this company for one that has already done more for me as a new hire, than this company has almost done within a year.